What comes after Penryn

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I understand that MBP's are getting updated soon with the Penryn core's, but I remember hearing something about how the next major overhaul of the MBP probably wont come until the next update of processors that come after Penryn, not exactly sure what the name was though, because the new processor is going to have the internals of the MBP completely rearranged.

Also heard that it wouldn't be until this new processor update that we see touch screen support for the MBP monitors.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 2 of 21
    pwnagepwnage Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...070328fact.htm

Nehalem

When is that set to be released?

Will it be in time for macworld 2009?

Also what are some of the new features of the new processor?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwnage View Post

When is that set to be released?

Will it be in time for macworld 2009?

Also what are some of the new features of the new processor?

Intel will probably get one or two Nehalem processors out by the end of this year ("Extreme Edition" desktop or server chips), so they can claim to have released it in '08. Most Nehalem processors will come out in Q1-Q2 of 2009, though. There might be a Mac Pro update at Macworld '09, but nothing else.

New features... more cores. 2, 4, 6, 8, all native (no MCM quads like they have today).

Integrated memory controller...that's a good one, AMD has had this for years.

Eventually they plan to integrate a graphics processor onto the CPU die, too.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Do you think that a new macbook pro will be announced with this anytime soon?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Do you think that a new macbook pro will be announced with this anytime soon?

At best, if Intel get ahead of their timetables, MSWF '09. Most likely Q2 '09.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synp View Post

At best, if Intel get ahead of their timetables, MSWF '09. Most likely Q2 '09.

So there's no chance a new macbook will be released in July or in this year?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

So there's no chance a new macbook will be released in July or in this year?

It's entirely possible, if not likely, that the Macbook will be updated in July or in this year. But it won't have Nehalem.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It's entirely possible, if not likely, that the Macbook will be updated in July or in this year. But it won't have Nehalem.

Is Nehalem a new architecture or is it on the same chipset as penryn?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    There is a lot of possibilities, because the most likely time Apple will introduce something new is with the introduction of new chipset or processor. Montevina the successor of SantaRosa could mark the introduction of aluminium MacBook or a revised design MBP or none at all. Nehalem the successor of Penryn has so much improvements that most people think Nehalem will be the MBP update.

Again, none of us can be sure when will the aluminium MB or upadated MBP design going to be release, so don't put the idea of I will wait until the new design appears then I will only buy a MB or MBP because no one knows when it is going to be updated.

My bet is aluminium MB will arrive at MacWorld or before MacWorld. Im not sure when the MBP looks is going to be updated, I think it has a higher chance of being updated when Nehalem is released.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Is Nehalem a new architecture or is it on the same chipset as penryn?

It's more or less a new microarchitecture. It's not a drop-in replacement for Penryn, if that is what you are asking. Nehalem will require a complete internal redesign of the machines.

Wikipedia entry on Nehalem
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

It's more or less a new microarchitecture. It's not a drop-in replacement for Penryn, if that is what you are asking. Nehalem will require a complete internal redesign of the machines.

Wikipedia entry on Nehalem

So nehalem will be a part of Montevina?

I don't really understand the difference between the two. How do they relate to each other if in any way?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Montevina is just the internal name of Intel's next Centrino platform. It will include Penryn + GM45 northbridge and graphics and will become available in June.

I don't know what chipset the first mobile Nehalem processors will use, but it probably won't be Montevina, which doesn't appear to support Quickpath and obviously would have an extraneous memory controller.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

So nehalem will be a part of Montevina?

I don't really understand the difference between the two. How do they relate to each other if in any way?

The only relation between the two is the process: 45nm.

Nehalem and Penryn (on santa rosa or montevina) will have different microarchitectures.

Nehalem will need an all-new motherboard, new chipsets.

Nehalem for servers/workstations/high-end desktops (Mac Pro) will be available late 2008 (probably november).

Nehalem for standard desktops (not used by Apple right now) will be available early 2009 (probably late january)

Nehalem for mobile (MB, MBP, iMac, Mac mini, MB Air) will be available in Q2 2009 (probably late may)

No need to worry about that yet.

One year later it will be westmere (a shrink to a 32nm process of Nehalem). The only thing that leaked about that is a 6 core cpu (12 threads) for DP workstations (like the Mac Pro).
  • Reply 14 of 21
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:

Also heard that it wouldn't be until this new processor update that we see touch screen support for the MBP monitors.

Any thoughts?

You aren't going to see a touchscreen Mac unless Apple redesigns the Mac OS X GUI with touch in mind. A glass front to the screen is going to be heavier too.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    randianrandian Posts: 76member
    Quote:

I don't know what chipset the first mobile Nehalem processors will use, but it probably won't be Montevina, which doesn't appear to support Quickpath and obviously would have an extraneous memory controller.

The replacement for Montevina is Calpella, due in Q2 '09.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Montevina is just the internal name of Intel's next Centrino platform. It will include Penryn + GM45 northbridge and graphics and will become available in June.

Yup. My bet is that the next MBP/MB/MBA update will be a Montevina update sometime between August to October. The MBP will get up to 2.8 GHz, maybe even a 2.93 GHz "special" Apple edition. The 3.06 GHz Extreme Edition or the 2.53 GHz Quad-core Extreme Edition is a bit too extreme for Apple, especially the 45 W TDP. Hopefully the base MBP 15" will get a 2.53 GHz 6 MB L2 cache, and the MB gets at least a 2.26 GHz processor on the low end.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

The only relation between the two is the process: 45nm.

Nehalem and Penryn (on santa rosa or montevina) will have different microarchitectures.

Nehalem will need an all-new motherboard, new chipsets.

Nehalem and Penryn are more similar than you think. They'll essentially have the same 4-issue wide "Core" microarchitecture inside them, but Nehalem will have a new memory architecture powering it (L2 per core, shared L3, on-die memory controller, point-to-point I/O, modular, flexible design). Essentially like the transition from AMD K7 to K8, but with Intel things in mind.

With a brand new memory and I/O architecture, there's no upgrade path for Nehalem. So, yup, everything has to be bought all new. I wouldn't expect single socket or 2 socket systems to have much improved performance per MHz though. Maybe 10%, and it will be important for Intel to keep up the MHz. 4+ socket systems however, will have a big performance improvement; not that Apple would ship a big iron server. For MBP, hmm, can't think of the big improvement other than the increment kind over Montevina.

Edit: well, there is 2-way SMT (hyperthreading). So some multi-threaded apps can see a good boost (20%?), but it'll likely come at the cost of more power consumption.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randian View Post

The replacement for Montevina is Calpella, due in Q2 '09.

Right, but is Intel really not going to release any mobile Nehalem processors before Q2? If they do, they'll have to either move Capella up or release another chipset in the interim.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Nehalem and Penryn are more similar than you think. They'll essentially have the same 4-issue wide "Core" microarchitecture inside them, but Nehalem will have a new memory architecture powering it (L2 per core, shared L3, on-die memory controller, point-to-point I/O, modular, flexible design). Essentially like the transition from AMD K7 to K8, but with Intel things in mind.

To put this in simpler terms: the individual CPU cores in Nehalem will be very similar to the individual cores in Penryn. The rest of the processor is different; cache, memory controller, the way the cores talk to each other, etc.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    all these Intel talk is making my brain cry . Poor brain
  • Reply 20 of 21
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

The 3.06 GHz Extreme Edition or the 2.53 GHz Quad-core Extreme Edition is a bit too extreme for Apple, especially the 45 W TDP.

I agree, unless the folks at Apple surprise us with a 20 inch MBP or similar portable device. Such a machine would appeal to the run and gun artistic/videography crowd?providing more heft, speed, and hard drive space than a typical laptop while being less cumbersome than an iMac. If anyone could make such a capacious machine and turn it into something sleek and sexy, it's Apple.