Linux with Bootcamp

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    From what I am hearing (I don't use Bootcamp) you can boot into OSX, Windows or Linux, but one at a time. Bootcamp does not do virtualization. For that you will need VMWare or Parallels. There was a report coming out of Macworld that one of these companies even showed their product running OSX Client, OSX Server, Vista and Linux all at the same time on the same machine. But that feature will not be out until sometime this summer.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    pwnagepwnage Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

From what I am hearing (I don't use Bootcamp) you can boot into OSX, Windows or Linux, but one at a time. Bootcamp does not do virtualization. For that you will need VMWare or Parallels. There was a report coming out of Macworld that one of these companies even showed their product running OSX Client, OSX Server, Vista and Linux all at the same time on the same machine. But that feature will not be out until sometime this summer.

What i meant was you only have the option of one os in bootcamp, when you restart your mac, you go to bootcamp it will only allow you one other OS, it can be windows or linux, but it doesn't let you install both and choose between either one when you go into bootcamp.

Or atleast thats what it sounds like from what I hear.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwnage View Post

I know people that would dissagree with you, but I do like linux better, is there any way to boot linux with osx in a dual boot situation, without bootcamp? Would that be a more desirable way to go?

Hmmm,

You must have some heavily-used applications to want to continue to use Linux when you've got a Mac. I bought a Mac to replace my Linux computer. It was getting old, having to have both Linux and Windows machines running to do what ONE Mac can do. Safely. Without putting on 5 condoms before touching a single computer, even on the internal network. I did it for 8 years, and I finally had enough.

This Mac experience is like a dream, considering that I was a power user on linux. Wow!
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

It's extremely easy to boot into BSD on a computer with Mac OS X. You already are.

Exactly! My point! It works. Everything works out of the box. Video. Audio. Camera. Scanner. Pretty painless compared to Linux. I say this because I am not in the computer field anymore, and I just don't have the time to tinker with getting all these things working.

I don't know about the commercial versions of Linux, but I have found that NONE of the free Linux distros will have ALL multimedia programs working straight out of the box. Heck, I don't even know if it's even legal to have codecs installed on a Linux box. Can a Federal agent familiar with the issues shopping at Fry's while off-duty have Linux boxes shutdown and confiscated if he sees them playing DVD's?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    pwnagepwnage Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wittenmeyer View Post

Exactly! My point! It works. Everything works out of the box. Video. Audio. Camera. Scanner. Pretty painless compared to Linux. I say this because I am not in the computer field anymore, and I just don't have the time to tinker with getting all these things working.

I don't know about the commercial versions of Linux, but I have found that NONE of the free Linux distros will have ALL multimedia programs working straight out of the box. Heck, I don't even know if it's even legal to have codecs installed on a Linux box. Can a Federal agent familiar with the issues shopping at Fry's while off-duty have Linux boxes shutdown and confiscated if he sees them playing DVD's?

That doesnt mean that people dont want the choice.