very clever ... like it.
  • Reply 43 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

4. Its called a beta

No, this is whining pure and simple.

No, According to wikipedia (my bold):

Quote:

A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release. Beta level software generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety.

The missing pieces in the SDK, the restrictions of the simulator, the lack of real device testing, etc... give developers no way to test some apps.

The current SDK is not beta!
  • Reply 44 of 134
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Since when has Apple been perceived as communicative and friendly corporation? We love Apple for what the do but rarely for the way they do it. In fact the whining from the gallery seems a constant that has been there for as long as I can remember. The thing is that Apple always do whatever they want to, regardless. There is always a vocal group who disagree and feel hard done by but at the same time it is this often frustrating insistence on doing everything their own way which makes them unique, innovative, and mucho loved. I can't recall a single product 'the gallery' hasn't moaned about, and yet.... Lets face it, we're a bunch of suckers. Happy suckers, but sucker nonetheless. I have learned to shrug it off and move on. There is only one thing I have a hard time getting over and that is that way back when, before I had a clue about anything, I didn't get a job, save all my money and buy Apple stock. I mean, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN!

Great post paxman. Right on the money. Some people here actually view Apple as the Grail and that Stevie Boy as King Author. Steve Jobs' first and foremost loyalty is to the current Mrs. Jobs, the shareholders, and probably his kids. If Stevie Mock-Turtle could get these same devotees to purchase iOxygen for $400, and then purchase iOxygen 2 with Smog 1.0 for $500, they would and claim that Apple is once again an innovator and that Steve has done it again. Considering the fact that Apple is a hardware company, I can not see why they did not release their hardware (iPhone) on a larger scale. Maybe they were waiting to see it would sell beyond the typical zealot base.
  • Reply 45 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

After all, no one is going to convince me that XCode was a final release product when it came out and I don't recall it having a limited rollout.

Fire up XCode & do an About Xcode...

XCode 3.1 (beta)

Same with IB

Interface Builder 3.1 ( 644)

...Interesting
  • Reply 46 of 134
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Great post paxman. Right on the money. Some people here actually view Apple as the Grail and that Stevie Boy as King Author..

I think King 'Author' is Stephen King ...
  • Reply 47 of 134
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimUrban View Post

1. Apple stated they're initially limiting the number of accepted developers.

2. Apparently that number has been reached.

3. Subsequent applications are being rejected,for now.

4. Why is it so difficult to grasp this concept.

Because, since the launch of OSX (as long as I have followed Apple) they have embraced developers, helping anyone who would join adc, and giving the rest the keys to the kingdom via free dev tools and sdks, and now they are holding out on their devs...the people that make their platforms appeal to the masses...imagine a Mac with only a few big shops like MS and EA making apps, no "small ISVs"

that is what this is doing to the iphone, will the rejects be interested when Apple comes a ringing or will they move on to the next project?

as an iphone owner, this pisses me off: I want all of the little people to have the SDK...I want those cool little apps that make life better, that is a huge reason why I use a mac and not Windows
  • Reply 48 of 134
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Two top apple excecs said that the SDK was availible to EVERYONE...if that is not true, someone should do what everyone else in business does...call the SEC and report stock price manipulation then sue the f******s for fraud
  • Reply 49 of 134
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I've been a Beta Tester for several software companies over the years.

Sometimes I got in on time, and sometimes I didn't.

Now when I didn't, I stopped using that software because I was pissed (Not really).

ALL Software companies can only handle so many "Beta Testers" and after they have what they are looking for ? the rest of us just have to wait and hope next time, to get in earlt enough, or be LUCKY enough to be one of the select few.

It sucks, not having access to the latest and great toys BEFORE anyone else, but sometimes sh&t happens ? get over it.

Should Apple have said at the meeting "We will accept the first 100 (or whatever the number would be) testers for now" - maybe

Should Apple have said "We will go over each application carefully, and will accept them based on our current needs". "We see Apple taking (X number) of applications in the first round, and (x number) in the second round" - I'm sure folks would be a bit less pissed if they had, but some would still not have made it, and they would still complain.

Skip
  • Reply 50 of 134
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The missing pieces in the SDK, the restrictions of the simulator, the lack of real device testing,

First of all, Wikipedia shouldn't be considered a primary source. It's easy for anyone with an agenda to tweak things to fit their biases or limited perspective on an issue.

What's missing again? I don't know what you mean by the simulator restrictions, unless you mean you're disappointed that you are restricted to testing on the simulator. The inability to test it on the actual device is a disappointment, but we don't know if that's the way they intend to put in the finished release or not.
  • Reply 51 of 134
    I got one of these emails. I didn't see it as a rejection. In fact nothing in the letter states that the applicant has been rejected.

I have yet to see or hear of anybody who actually was billed $99 and got their developer key. So if you're reading this, and you were ACCEPTED please post, because I think folks have jumped to an incorrect conclusion here.
  • Reply 52 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

First of all, Wikipedia shouldn't be considered a primary source. It's easy for anyone with an agenda to tweak things to fit their biases or limited perspective on an issue.

What's missing again? I don't know what you mean by the simulator restrictions, unless you mean you're disappointed that you are restricted to testing on the simulator. The inability to test it on the actual device is a disappointment, but we don't know if that's the way they intend to put in the finished release or not.

Missing from the SDK:

1) Interface Builder

Simulator does not support:

1) Camera

2) Microphone

3) Accelerometers

4) OpenGL ES

5) Ability to simulate, say, receiving a Phone call

6) Vibration -- one developer has written a haptic keyboard for a Jailbroken iPhone

7) Locater

That's a beginning... there are prolly other limitations!

The simulator is good, as far as it goes... but there is no substitute for seeing how well/fast the UI and your app works, plays with others, looks and feels on a real device.

The docs discuss the missing pieces and limitations but provide no guidance to workarounds.

Many of the sample programs that Apple provides will not run on the simulator!.

I suggest that you download the SDK, sample programs and try the Simulator, yourself!

Finally, I picked Wikipedia as a source because:

--it is generally accepted

--it doesn't have a vested interest in this, or any other, beta process ...as many of us do

"A positive attitude may not solve all your

problems, but it will annoy enough people to make

it worth the effort." - Herm Albright -
  • Reply 53 of 134
    I have an idea for budding iPhone developers. Create an app that knows your AT&T plan, and can alert you whenever you're close to or have actually exceeded your plan minutes for the month and end up talking your head off at 45 cents per minute. With so many variables (night and weekend, AT&T to AT&T calls, rollover, etc.) it is relatively easy to do that. I should know. After being on the road for close to a month and calling home and clients quite a bit, I return home to find not our normal $93.54 bill awaiting me, but rather one for $417.17. Ouch!
  • Reply 54 of 134
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

Because:

1. Apple announced the SDK in October 2007 for a planned February release date.

2. The recent SDK presentation received an enormous amount of hype, top billing on apple.com etc.

3. The SDK had both missed the planned February release date and turned out to be still in Beta form.

4. The downloadable SDK is largely incomplete for being able to be used to test applications: no transfer to device for testing the key areas of iPhone usage such touch UI, OpenGL ES graphics, and accelerometer interactions.

5. The majority of developers have been denied access to the full form beta SDK and appear to be out of luck until June.

6. They are frustrated from being to made to wait even longer for something they thought they would be getting in Feb.

While I understand Apple's tardiness and willingness to keep tight security around their upcoming firmware release and certificate keys, I can also understand the whining.

What I don't understand is why everyone expects Apple to be perfect. Haven't you heard how much overtime these guys do to get products out? The iPhone is a developing product and has not even been out for a year. This is Apple's newest product and they are not going to mess up just to please a few impatient developers. You all will be grumbling if mistakes are made by rushing out a product. The iPhone and it's derivates will be around for 10 years or more. There's plenty of time to do cool stuff. Think of the future like Apple do.
  • Reply 55 of 134
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Over 100,000 downloads the first week. Assume 10% asked to be in on the developer club...that's 10,000 people. Would you like to be the guy having to deal with 10,000 individuals? I would think it would do exactly the opposite of facilitation...it would actually slow things down. I think I'd prefer a small cache of proven track individuals/companies who's opinion and expertise I could trust...cuts down on time and resources.
  • Reply 56 of 134
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Two top apple excecs said that the SDK was availible to EVERYONE...if that is not true, someone should do what everyone else in business does...call the SEC and report stock price manipulation then sue the f******s for fraud

After all that is being said, are you stating that the SDK is not available to everyone?

If so, you are lying.
  • Reply 57 of 134
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

Because:

1. Apple announced the SDK in October 2007 for a planned February release date.

2. The recent SDK presentation received an enormous amount of hype, top billing on apple.com etc.

3. The SDK had both missed the planned February release date and turned out to be still in Beta form.

4. The downloadable SDK is largely incomplete for being able to be used to test applications: no transfer to device for testing the key areas of iPhone usage such touch UI, OpenGL ES graphics, and accelerometer interactions.

5. The majority of developers have been denied access to the full form beta SDK and appear to be out of luck until June.

6. They are frustrated from being to made to wait even longer for something they thought they would be getting in Feb.

While I understand Apple's tardiness and willingness to keep tight security around their upcoming firmware release and certificate keys, I can also understand the whining.

I can't, show me a company out there offering a better solution for mobile app developers to get in the money making game. If you do find one then stop whining about Apple's decisions & go make money with them.

Apple can do whatever they so choose & it isn't their problem you have no idea what it is like to run such a large & successful company. Take the whining somewhere else; maybe to Microsoft, I'm sure they'll be willing to stroke your ego.
  • Reply 58 of 134
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A number of applicants to Apple's official iPhone Developer program are venting their frustration with the company after having received temporary rejection letters on Friday.

A rejection letter? Temporary or otherwise, you have to be kidding.

Perhaps somebody should have looked up the definition of a rejection letter. Which by the way,

is a form of communication, print or otherwise, indicating the refusal of assent (viz: rejection) of a recommended course.

In this case, there is no official refusal of agreement or sanction. All the email is doing, is informing a registered iPhone developer, (as indicated in the salutation, i.e., “Dear Registered iPhone Developer), that the program is momentarily limited but being expanded over the next 3-4 months, and that they will contact the registrant again about their enrollment.

Nothing nefarious implied here.

Certainly one should realize that the registration to the Program will be followed up by a request to fill out a formal comprehensive application, plus an intention of, or payment. Until such time, there is no decision of acceptance or rejection of anybody being made.

And for those who still haven't gotten it, the SDK still remains free and available to everybody who applies and registers themself as an iPhone Developer. Regardless what he/she wants to do with it.
  • Reply 59 of 134
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No, According to wikipedia (my bold):

Quote:

A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release. Beta level software generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety.

The missing pieces in the SDK, the restrictions of the simulator, the lack of real device testing, etc... give developers no way to test some apps.

The current SDK is not beta!

1) Using Wikipedia as a starting source is fine, but using it at as a definitive authority to prove your point is deficient.

2) The text you specifically bolded uses the adverb "generally". That means "in most cases"; it does not mean "in every case".

3) There are companies/individuals who have the iPhone 2.0 software available to test out apps directly on the device. You not being approved by Apple does not make the SDK or the Mobile OS X firmware any less of a Beta.

edit: JeffDM beat me to it.
  • Reply 60 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Using Wikipedia as a starting source is fine, but using it at as a definitive authority to prove your point is deficient.

2) The text you specifically bolded uses the adverb "generally". That means "in most cases"; it does not mean "in every case".

3) There are companies/individuals who have the iPhone 2.0 software available to test out apps directly on the device. You not being approved by Apple does not make the SDK or the Mobile OS X firmware any less of a Beta.

edit: JeffDM beat me to it.

First, whether I received approval, or not, is not the issue... it is the utility of the SDK for the purpose for which it is intended.

Do you have a reference establishing point 3-- that there are, in fact, companies/individuals that have the iPhone 2.0 software?

From the Mar 6 preso, I got the impression that all use of the SDK on the actual device was done on campus, e.g. flying in an extra developer to upgrade the graphics for MonkeyBall. Most of the enterprise developers were mentioned by quotation-- the exception being Epocrates.

My assumption is that the needs of enterprise developers were/are, mostly, satisfied by early release of the SDK and Simulator in their current state (these developers, likely, won't require the missing pieces for most of their apps.).

The telling issue, to me, is this: Apple says:

--our documentation is a work-in-process

--things are different than programming the Mac, especially the user interface

--by the way, the Interface Builder piece is missing

--there really are no tutorials or start-to-finish explanations of how to write a program

--here are some programs to show you how to do things

--here Is a Simulator that will show you what the programs do and how they run

--by the way, many of the programs will not run on the Simulator

I guess that means:

--look at the code to learn how to write your programs

--write your programs

Then, what?

If I am taking piano lessons, sooner or later I will need to see/hear how I am doing.

A more robust Simulator implementation would resolve many of the issues.