Airport Express with 802.11n leaks on Apple's Swiss site

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    I've been holding out on an Express because I want the n compatibility. My current router is only g-compatible (stupid Vonage), but I have an n-compatible MacBook and potentially n-compatible iMac, so I'd rather have the upgradability should we decide to bite the bullet and get a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wingrove View Post

america, one of the worlds most culturally integrated nations. KKK is still alive and well there i beleive

There's a name I haven't heard of in a long time. If by "alive and well" you mean a few of them gathering in one of their mother's basements, I'll go along with that.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

you forgot one of the racist countries too. Integration and demographics unfortunately is not related to degree of racism.

Crap. racism exists everywhere. By and large australians will give a fair go...sure there are rednecks everywhere. Come to Australia and make judgements by being here long term. Sure there is an issue with indigenous affairs but a lot is being done to right the wrongs of the past... (See Kevin Rudd's stolen generation apology) I think you statements are quick and without substance. I think being a born and bred Aussie gives me a more unique perspective. If you want racism why not got to japan gaijin.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    So how 'bout that airport express!

Yeah......
  • Reply 25 of 51
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

So how 'bout that airport express!

Yeah......

Sorry for going off topic, Actually Have a question, does anyone think that the new routers will incur that extra charge to make the "n" enabled? Also how did they fit the three n antenna's in... or is done on the card now?
  • Reply 26 of 51
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    And what about it acting as a wifi bridge to provide wake-on-WAN to get that close-to-wireless capability of wirelessly waking my Mac from the internet?
  • Reply 27 of 51
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celco View Post

Crap. racism exists everywhere. By and large australians will give a fair go...sure there are rednecks everywhere. Come to Australia and make judgements by being here long term. Sure there is an issue with indigenous affairs but a lot is being done to right the wrongs of the past... (See Kevin Rudd's stolen generation apology) I think you statements are quick and without substance. I think being a born and bred Aussie gives me a more unique perspective. If you want racism why not got to japan gaijin.

Being born and bred there wouldn't give you a better perspective. Could actually be more skewed...Being born a minority over there or going there as a non caucasian person i.e. Asian or dark skinned person might give you a better perspective though. Japan, where I actually live and can give you a good perspective from in 2008 , that's racism on a level playing field. WAY different. It's every gaijin for themselves. As in every race besides Japanese can be discriminated against. It's not about a particular skin color or ethnicity. It's just a blanket discrimination based on being non Japanese. It's not good but it's nothing close to 'normal' discrimination. But like you said racism is all over the world. Just happens to be worse in some countries and most people know which countries those are. USA wins for #1 though. Yay.

At least we can live in a world with black and white macbooks. I guess the iMac multi color Bondi days were Apple's version of the 60's.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wingrove View Post

america, one of the worlds most culturally integrated nations. KKK is still alive and well there i beleive

Nearly every country has one form of racism/culturism or another. The US is not unique in that regard.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    About time.

Why isn't there an 802.11n Airport Express was one of those questions I've had in my mind since my 802.11g AE blew.

The other question was why haven't they added Airtunes support to the Airport Extreme and Time Capsule. Grrr!
  • Reply 30 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Being born and bred there wouldn't give you a better perspective. Could actually be more skewed...Being born a minority over there or going there as a non caucasian person i.e. Asian or dark skinned person might give you a better perspective though. Japan, where I actually live and can give you a good perspective from in 2008 , that's racism on a level playing field. WAY different. It's every gaijin for themselves. As in every race besides Japanese can be discriminated against. It's not about a particular skin color or ethnicity. It's just a blanket discrimination based on being non Japanese. It's not good but it's nothing close to 'normal' discrimination. But like you said racism is all over the world. Just happens to be worse in some countries and most people know which countries those are. USA wins for #1 though. Yay.

At least we can live in a world with black and white macbooks. I guess the iMac multi color Bondi days were Apple's version of the 60's.

I've sometimes wondered if the "Japanese-brand" of racism became more pronounced post-WWII? What is it's sociological origin?
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristokn View Post

Can anyone explain how n will boost performance over b or g, for consumers at least? I realize if you are in a corporate wireless network with much higher speeds than that offered by DSL and Cable. I just don't see the value or speed bump to use an n card at home.

Less interference from 2.4GHz cordless phones and microwaves. Also not that many people have it so less interference from neighboring wireless.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irobot2004 View Post

Less interference from 2.4GHz cordless phones and microwaves. Also not that many people have it so less interference from neighboring wireless.

Does anyone know what frequency 802.11n operates at.

Also i heard about a new wireless 802.11y. Check it out here
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Sounds sweet, hope is comes out soon.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chriskeo View Post

Does anyone know what frequency 802.11n operates at.

Er... that article from Wikipedia you linked to has a table with the answer.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

I Wonder if the new ones will last longer than the current models, If I can get 2 yrs out of one It may be worth buying. My second one is sitting in my study after lasting a record 8 months before going dead!! Way to go Apple "it just works!"

Mine's been running 24/7 for 3 years now...although I don't actually use it too often...mostly it's just sitting there with the green light on. But, at least it "just works" when I want it.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Unsecure at any speeds! You guys need to come over to the good side, VISTA!
  • Reply 37 of 51
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    If Sony would update the PS3 to support 802.11n, I could eventually be "G-free".
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Er... that article from Wikipedia you linked to has a table with the answer.

that is what the final version of n should have. but right now they are on draft 2
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chriskeo View Post

that is what the final version of n should have. but right now they are on draft 2

Apple's 802.11n Airport Extreme incarnation supports 5GHz (as well as 2.4)... some other brands (e.g., Netgear) that advertise 802.11n do not support 5GHz... one of the reasons I went for the airport...
  • Reply 40 of 51
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celco View Post

Sorry for going off topic, Actually Have a question, does anyone think that the new routers will incur that extra charge to make the "n" enabled? Also how did they fit the three n antenna's in... or is done on the card now?

There was never a charge associated with the routers, only with the early C2D models of the notebooks that required the N-enabler. The enabler is included with the current Airport Extremes, and presumably with the Time Capsule as well.