Air or Not?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all, believe it or not, I'm not here to complain about the missing features on the new MacBook Air.

I'm soon to be a convert. I've never used a mac and know only what I've read about them on these and other forums.

At present, I'm looking at either a MacBook or the MacBook Air. I don't need the Pro features or the size. I'm getting rid or or rather not going to be using anymore a 15.4" HP Laptop that has served me well but is to dang big and heavy. Well not to mention it's a Windows machine (did that earn me some points? ) anyway. Not knowing much about the guts of a computer, I'm wondering if the difference in specs between the MacBook and the Air are significant enough to worry about.

I need something that I can type documents on, do power point (keynote) presentations on (including video clips/photos/sound bytes), surf the web, email etc. I'm not a gamer. I have a desktop computer that I run PhotoShop on, so I wouldn't be using this machine for that type of intensive graphic work. I have an iPod for Music, and I'm getting in the habit of backing up all of my documents/music etc to external hard drives so I'm not eating up room on my current laptop, which also only has an 80 gig HD. I am however a very Type "A" [read impatient] person. If it takes forever for stuff to load, the computer freezes up between slides on a power point presentation etc, I tend to get irked.

I'm looking for a light weight package that is "Go Anywhere." Obviously the Air is a go anywhere machine, but would it be too big of a compromise to think that an Air could be my "every day machine" for the needs described above?

There's only about $500-$600 difference in price so that's not really that significant. This will be an investment in a part time teaching business (read Tax-write off)

I'm just worried that I will find the Air isn't "quite" enough to be an every day machine and wish I would have went with the MacBook.

Your Thoughts?

Greg Beaty

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregbeaty View Post

I'm just worried that I will find the Air isn't "quite" enough to be an every day machine and wish I would have went with the MacBook.

Your Thoughts?

You already have a desktop, you say. The Air should be fine, then.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Tough question.

I would tend to recommend that you get a Macbook as your first Mac. While you have another machine, a pc I assume, to do your heavy work, if you enjoy your Mac and wind up preferring it to your pc you'll be a little limited in what you can do. The Macbooks are capable machines that can do PS work. That's what my brother in law uses. Sure the MBP and Mac Pros are better but the Macbook is a very capable machine for a lot of uses.

If you do decide to go with the MBA(certainly not a bad choice), I would wait the next version. It'll probably get an update later this year and will likely get a Penryn processor and a larger HDD. That's when it'll really come into its own, IMO. Also the revision a bugs will be sorted out.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    All current Macs do what you're asking. Since you actually carry the thing and $500 is not an issue, go for the Air. If your Photoshop work isn't heavy, you might be able to do it just fine in the MBA too.

Out of curiosity, what are your desktop PC's main specs?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Though I would love to recommend the Air, I would suggest holding off until they get a few somewhat big problems worked out.

I rejected my second Air yesterday because it had a tilted screen. My first one died over a week ago. I have now owned an Air for a month but actually had one for less than three weeks; this is not a good start. They have had two completely different hardware issues suggesting that the workmanship is simply substandard.

They rushed to market with the Air and the initial buyers are beginning to pay for their haste.

Sorry if I sound gloomy, but I have a long history of hardware issue and shoddy quality from Apple and the Air is off to a very bad start. I am again on an overnight road trip where I had hoped to use my Air, but instead I had to lug my MacBook Pro which is a good kilogram heavier, more if you include the power brick.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Though I would love to recommend the Air, I would suggest holding off until they get a few somewhat big problems worked out.

I rejected my second Air yesterday because it had a tilted screen. My first one died over a week ago. I have now owned an Air for a month but actually had one for less than three weeks; this is not a good start. They have had two completely different hardware issues suggesting that the workmanship is simply substandard.

They rushed to market with the Air and the initial buyers are beginning to pay for their haste.

Sorry if I sound gloomy, but I have a long history of hardware issue and shoddy quality from Apple and the Air is off to a very bad start. I am again on an overnight road trip where I had hoped to use my Air, but instead I had to lug my MacBook Pro which is a good kilogram heavier, more if you include the power brick.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. As someone who doesn't know how Apple does their rollouts of new hardware, I'm wondering, is it a for sure thing that there will be a newer/updated version to come soon? or is ths all speculation/hoping?

I'm in need of a new computer in the next couple weeks. If I were to buy one, does Apple have any type of up-grade/up-date program? I may be able to drag my laptop out a little longer, but I don't want to hold out too long waiting for something that may take a year to come out.

Thanks again,

Greg
  • Reply 6 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

I'm in need of a new computer in the next couple weeks.

As the first MBA revision just came out, and Macbook and Macbook Pro were bumped, you're looking at a couple months minimum before anything changes. In other words, a great time to buy, whatever you end up going with.

Bergermeister's experiences of the MBA are a bit disheartening, but I think the MBA is still worth considering. What you really want to avoid are problems that come up *after* warranty period, and at this point we don't know if it has such long term problems or not. If there's a minor but definite problem that doesn't prevent the operation of the machine, you can hang onto it and swap it towards the end of your warranty period. The replacement hardware you get at that point will benefit from any improvements in manufacturing in the meantime.

There's no upgrade program. I'd be surprised if any laptop manufacturer had one, actually.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

These problems are most likely due to poor manufacturing. Chinese contract manufacturers are out to save every penny, and, more and more, they are becoming noted for their negligence in following specifications. These problems, I would guess, are already solved, but it may be a little bit of time before the models actually built within specified tolerance limits start hitting the sales channels.

Unsurprisingly, a lot of CM is starting to move out of China.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I agree that it is the manufacturing; the design does not seem to be faulty unto itself, but the manufacturing in some cases touches on criminal negligence and Apple at times tries to cover it by claiming it is within specifications (the nano screen being tilted and such).

I get flashbacks of Disclosure.

I told the visiting Apple sales rep that I did not want my money back, but that I want a machine that functions as advertised.

From Apple's homepage:

"It just works."

"Awesome out of the box."

"breakthrough design"

"With MacBook Air, mobile computing suddenly has a new standard."

"Apple strives to bring the best personal computing experience to (its customers)."

Well, that is a short list and the end product that I received doesn't stand up to the hype. Nor did several of my last machines.

They better get out of China fast; I don't mind paying a little more for something that actually works. As it is, it's a bad joke.

Apple's designs are great, but the poor manufacturing ruins everything.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    you just got MAC ATTACKED
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Those of you who purchased the MB Air, how many of you did not buy the external media drive? The super drive. Do you find you wish you had it? How are you getting around not having it?

Thanks,

Greg
  • Reply 11 of 21
    I didn't buy the external because I use my iPod to transfer files back and forth anyways to my MBP and between a couple of desktops in various locations. Most apps can be downloaded form the net these days and so I didn't have much need for the external drive.

When my MBA died, the built-in hardware test well enough to tell me I had a serious problem without the need for booting from a disk.

Depends on what you intend to use your computer for, but it is possible to do quite well without it.

If I could only get an MBA that works...
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I think I don't that fond of Air, I like the mack pro best.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

If I could only get an MBA that works...

I realize that the target market of the Air is ... wait for it ... MBAs, but I've been holding back so far. This one is just too good to pass by.

And this post also may explain why I always call it the "Air."
  • Reply 14 of 21
    they call it the Air 'cause you'll have nothing but 'air' left in your pocketbook after you sign that cheque for the Air.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Hello all, believe it or not, I'm not here to complain about the missing features on the new MacBook Air.

I'm soon to be a convert. I've never used a mac and know only what I've read about them on these and other forums.

At present, I'm looking at either a MacBook or the MacBook Air. I don't need the Pro features or the size. I'm getting rid or or rather not going to be using anymore a 15.4" HP Laptop that has served me well but is to dang big and heavy. Well not to mention it's a Windows machine (did that earn me some points? ) anyway. Not knowing much about the guts of a computer, I'm wondering if the difference in specs between the MacBook and the Air are significant enough to worry about.

I need something that I can type documents on, do power point (keynote) presentations on (including video clips/photos/sound bytes), surf the web, email etc. I'm not a gamer. I have a desktop computer that I run PhotoShop on, so I wouldn't be using this machine for that type of intensive graphic work. I have an iPod for Music, and I'm getting in the habit of backing up all of my documents/music etc to external hard drives so I'm not eating up room on my current laptop, which also only has an 80 gig HD. I am however a very Type "A" [read impatient] person. If it takes forever for stuff to load, the computer freezes up between slides on a power point presentation etc, I tend to get irked.

I'm looking for a light weight package that is "Go Anywhere." Obviously the Air is a go anywhere machine, but would it be too big of a compromise to think that an Air could be my "every day machine" for the needs described above?

There's only about $500-$600 difference in price so that's not really that significant. This will be an investment in a part time teaching business (read Tax-write off)

Your Thoughts?

Greg Beaty

I am the happy owner of an Airbook and I love it. For me it is the perfect second computer... an extension of the 24inch iMac that sits on my desk, and a quantum leap forward from the old 14inch iBook G4 that the air replaces. The Airbook has changed the way I view my mobile computer. At half the weight, a third the thickness and a huge improvement in speed, I find myself taking my Airbook practically everywhere.

All these wonderful things being said, the main downside to the Airbook is the lack of an optical drive. I personally don't miss it at all, but if the Airbook were my only computer, it would drive me crazy. Apple may not have marketed it as such, but the Airbook ought not be anyone's primary computer. It is, however, a superb second computer for people who do return to the "mother machine" on a regular basis.

As far as build quality goes, this is the first aluminum laptop I've owned and I can tell you that it feels much better engineered and built than my old iBook. Whether this is solely the difference between metal and plastic, I could not tell you. It is a beautiful machine.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Get the Macbook buddy, go for the Air if you will be travellling a lot. Plain and simple
  • Reply 17 of 21
    mercury7mercury7 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pichichon View Post

Get the Macbook buddy, go for the Air if you will be travellling a lot. Plain and simple

I would have to secnd the macbook, the black 2.4 that comes with 2 gigs and a 250 hD is the best value for the money in the entire line up, the 100 dollar rebate that mac connection is offering brings it down to under 1400 and also allows you to get a copy of vm ware fusion free. I got mine about 2 weeks ago and am very happy with it.

my opinion on the air is mixed...if it had come with a simcard(ie built in wireless) I may have considered it ....but with out that and considering no dvd drive I just5 could'nt see the value for my uses.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    If this is your first Mac, you should get a MacBook. I wouldn't due it tomorrow though, they're probably going to update them soon. Why should you get a MacBook? because the MacBook Air is missing features, and it's just weaker then any other Apple machine, in other words, getting a MacBook Air as your first Mac could turn you away from Macs, which isn't what we want
  • Reply 19 of 21
    As an owner of a MacBook, a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air (as well several desktops), I would like to join in here, especially when people talk about missing features or "crippled" designs.

For whom?

Not everybody needs all the bells and whistles on a MacBook Pro or even a MacBook.

Greg wants a machine for:

1. typing on

2. doing presentations

3. surfing and such

Greg has a desktop that he uses for his heavy work. The notebook would be an extension.

IMO, I think the Air would be the perfect choice and would actually win him over completely to the Mac platform (he might get an iMac in the future).

As far as portability, the Air blows the MacBook away, hands tied behind its back (I own both and speak from experience).

For back-up, I use my iPod. It goes wherever I go and data transfers are fast. Whenever I do any editing, I always back-up, so when I get home I just connect the iPod to my home machine and away I go.

The Apple Store in Fukuoka has Logic Express installed on MBAs, so the machine is rather capable.

Since it is your first Mac, I would suggest also getting the superdrive for 99 more. You can then use it at home as a complete Mac experience, but also save the weight when you travel around. The Air's power pack is also smaller and lighter than the MB's, so again you save more space and weight. The difference in weight and space make a huge difference over the course of a short business trip. The Air is also easier to pop out when in a coffee shop or so.

The Air has a video out port that will let you run presentations, so IMO it fits Greg's needs rather well.

The 80GB drive is plenty. I work in video and audio and have never run out of space on my notebooks; it just takes a little planning sometimes.

For wireless net, if the hotel doesn't have it already, plug in an Airport Express.

Again, a perfect system for some people and from the sounds of it, perfect for Greg.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    I did not buy the external drive. I used Remote Disc to load iWork on the MBA, worked like a charm. Set up Internet wireless to shared folders on my iMac and Back to my Mac as well. No problems, and I have only been a Mac user since Sept 07.

People have said to me, well you can't watch DVDs on it etc. For music and videos I prefer to watch them on my 42 LCD with my 5.1 Surround Sound or on the BluRay player.

Quote:

Those of you who purchased the MB Air, how many of you did not buy the external media drive? The super drive. Do you find you wish you had it? How are you getting around not having it?

Thanks,

Greg