MacBook or MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What I need it for is school work (papers and getting online). Also would like to make website with Ilife and maybe some video capture. What machine would be best for me? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    The MacBook should comfortably suit your needs. If you have extra cash laying around, you could always get the MBP instead, but based on what you described (school, internet, light video capture) I would say MacBook is what you want.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    The pro has a bigger screen and a real video card.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

The pro has a bigger screen and a real video card.

And a whole bunch of other features that the OP also won't take advantage of.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    I just faced this decision myself and went with a refurbished MacBook. For your needs, I would say a MacBook would be fine. Plus with the money you saved you could by a external LCD for use when you have it at home.

-Keith
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I would go with the MBPro...

If you are going away to college and you are going to be building web pages and doing video, then it sounds like you will be using the notebook for more than internet browsing for research.

I am starting a PhD this fall in Educational Technology, so I purchased the latest 15" MBP with the 2.5ghz setup... Running Bootcamp with Windows XP and I am one happy fellow with the best of both worlds... Especially since I don't have to compromise my software choices because of my OS choice!!!!

Sure it takes me an ENTIRE 30 seconds to reboot between the two operating systems, but I basically have two different laptops in one fine piece of hardware!!!!!

Follow the Lemming in front of you!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I think you would find the Macbook more than enough for your needs.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    The macbook should work just fine for you. The only things you need to ask yourself is if you are ok with paying an extra $400 for the MBP. The benefits would be a larger and nicer screen along with a dedicated video card. From the information you have given us it would seem that you won't being doing extensive video work that requires the fastest video card to save precious time. I recently purchased the macbook for similar reasons and it has worked wonderfully so far. I thought about loading boot camp(plenty of room on a 250GB HDD) but I can't find a very good reason because Microsoft Office is on OSX and I am learning to love iLife08.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robi0024 View Post

you need to ask yourself is if you are ok with paying an extra $400 for the MBP. .

What do you mean 400$? MacBook starts at 1099$, whereas MBP starts at 1999$!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

What do you mean 400$? MacBook starts at 1099$, whereas MBP starts at 1999$!

Edu Discount Prices : Black MB $1,399.00 vs. MBP 2.4 $1,799.00
  • Reply 10 of 13
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

I stand corrected.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

At those prices and at with the current setup 2.4 GHz cpu with 800 MHz bus I would spend less cash and get the Macbook with the 250 GB drive over the 200 GB drive.

Laters...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    kenrc51kenrc51 Posts: 31member
    well if you purchase the topof the line macbook and compare with the basic mbp then its only 400 difference. The white 2.4 macbook only cost 1299 with edu discount 1199 and this is basically the same as the blk but just alittle smaller hdd. I think this is a better price comparison.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenrc51 View Post

well if you purchase the topof the line macbook and compare with the basic mbp then its only 400 difference. The white 2.4 macbook only cost 1299 with edu discount 1199 and this is basically the same as the blk but just alittle smaller hdd. I think this is a better price comparison.

i went with a MB for my first MAC

added a mini not long there after