Is this a good buy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm considering purchasing a 2.66GHz 4-core Mac Pro.

Now I understand that the new 2.8GHz 8-core Mac Pro hammers the older version, but the older version is being offered at £1,199 compared to £1,749 for the new machine ? and that's quite a saving!

The majority of the work I do is in Adobe CS3, which I believe doesn't make the most of the four cores, nevermind eight cores? Do you think that's a good buy, or do you think it's worth paying the extra for the newer version?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    THey also sell a single chip Mac Pro with 4 cores. Quite a deal, I would say, but it's hidden and you have to hunt it down on the build-to-order page.

Compare the price of this and the older machine, and I think that should give you a better metric.

Also, for what it's worth, Treasure Island: I assume you are referring to something else.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Cheers for that Splinemodel ? I had forgotten about the new 4-core. I'll check that out.

Treasure Island was the name that car manufacturers gave to the UK ? because they were able to ramp up the prices and really take the rip. At one point it was even cheaper to purchase a UK-made car in Europe, than it was in the UK.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Any version of the MacPro is good so I'd take it!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Is two dual-cores better than one quad-core? Like assuming all cores run at the same speed and all that. Woudl the quad-core only be useful for certain apps and be slower than the dual for everything else?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HappyDrunk View Post

Is two dual-cores better than one quad-core? Like assuming all cores run at the same speed and all that. Woudl the quad-core only be useful for certain apps and be slower than the dual for everything else?

What matters then is the amount of cache per core: more is better. I haven't worked it out, but you can figure it out without much trouble.

The quad core, single chip is also more power efficient, if that's a concern to you. Also note that the quad-core ships with twice tho RAM, more disk, and more vid card than does the old, dual core. I see one of these in my future, paired with an ACD 23 and a CUDA-capable GPU in an unused slot. Great Matlab setup.