External Floppy drive?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi folks. Just wondering what folks have, like and suggest for an external floppy drive unit?

- USB?

- Firewire?

- Brand?

It will be used along side a intel mac for converting a ton of floppy's with font's and artwork.

Skip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Hi folks. Just wondering what folks have, like and suggest for an external floppy drive unit?

- USB?

- Firewire?

- Brand?

It will be used along side a intel mac for converting a ton of floppy's with font's and artwork.

Skip

I have one of these. It works well, but it's pretty slow - about the speed of a floppy!

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10086
  • Reply 2 of 6
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I have an imation one somewhere.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Thank you folks for responding.

Does any know if they offer them in Firewire? I don't seem to be able to find one via Goggle or any other search (yet).

Is there any kind of service offered for converting floppy disks to CD (yes I have A LOT)?

Skip

PS Slow isn't good, but not getting the information off these is worst
  • Reply 4 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    There is no firewire version unless it was some SuperDisk variant. Floppy has a transfer rate of about 1000 kilobits per second (a 1X CD has a transfer rate of about 1200 kb/s). So Even USB 1.1 is overkill.

Also, there will be NO drive capable of reading 800 or 400K disks. You'll need an old 68K or early PPC Mac with a floppy drive for that.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I went ahead and ordered the Sony.

I'll let folks know what I think of it, installing and using it, once I get it in.

Skip
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I have an old Imation floppy drive stored somewhere. But I never bothered to re-install the drivers onto my MacBook after switching over from a blue "fruit" iMac. Anyway, flash drives hold much more data. You'd be better off with one of those...

...assuming, of course, you find a way of transferring all your old stuff off the floppies. There's probably an über-expensive device for that.