Did you read the resume?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
You know what bugs the heck out of me?

When recruiters call about job openings and they say it's a great fit or opportunity then you find out it's an entry level position when clearly on your resume it shows you have over 15 years of IT Helpdesk Support experience AND a Bachelor's degree.

Is the recruiter just not reading the resume? Or are they really that stupid?

Where can one go when they have over 15 years of IT Helpdesk Support experience?

And what's the maximum someone can make doing this kind of work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I think they just don't care. They are like a shot gun. BOOM! They'll hit something.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

Where can one go when they have over 15 years of IT Helpdesk Support experience?

To India!

I think you can get 3-4 rupees per day if you speak unintelligible english.

• Reply 3 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    How much of it is Mac experience? PD help desk people are a dime a dozen. When we have an open position we get hundreds of resumés in the first couple days. Mac IT people, on the other hand, are harder to come by, get paid about 10% more on average and take longer to fill.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Recruiters make commission off of you. They'll put you anywhere as long as you accept it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Recruiters make commission off of you. They'll put you anywhere as long as you accept it.

Yea that's it. They need warm bodies to take positions. The people that survive in that line of work tend to be rude and pushy. I guess that's what it takes to get ahead???

I hung up on a cold call once saying, "Yea I'm not interested .... Click" only to have the guy send me an email in 60 seconds tell me that we must have been disconnected because in his XX years of work he's never been hung up on. Yea Right!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    It was probably my roomate.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Quote:

My resume shows nothing but Mac-only work for over two decades.

And I still get calls about a perfect position which is Windows only.

The recruiter usually says something like: "Well, are you willing to learn it?"

With this type of thinking, I am convinced they must make a few bucks on just setting up the interviews.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    15 years is a long time to stay in Help desk. Depending on what sort of organisation you tend to go up the food chain, in a corporate I'd expect:

Help desk

Level 2 support

Level 3 support

Projects and builds

Engineering

Architecture & strategic design

Executive something or other

And you can always jump into management at any point and change your technical specialty (I went broadly from high end Unix to high end Storage). I also kind of jumped sideways into professional services, and ended up doing lots of pre/post sales design work too, so there's interesting work in the channel, if you don't mind the lack of ethics.

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

You know what bugs the heck out of me?

When recruiters call about job openings and they say it's a great fit or opportunity then you find out it's an entry level position when clearly on your resume it shows you have over 15 years of IT Helpdesk Support experience AND a Bachelor's degree.

My resume is posted somewhere out there...on one of those (to me) near-useless resume posting/job search sites. The last e-mail I got from a recruiter...was...for....the job of.....CASHIER at Target!

I can't even begin to understand how the recruiter (some bot?) found my resume when it was posted under Graphic Design and clearly (and only) mentions 15-ish years of Design work.