T-Mobile Rep Says Apple Making a Phone for Them (Bit ot

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
(MODS: The parenthetical statement in the subject is supposed to read "(But it's not an iPhone)". I hit the wrong buttons and accidentally activated the thread. Please fix)

Okay, anybody that knows me here knows that I don't go around starting rumors or saying, "I gotta guy that knows a guy that works for Apple and HE says..."

But I was at the T-Mobile-owned kiosk at the local mall this weekend and the employee there told me that Apple was developing a phone for T-Mobile but that "it won't be called an iPhone." I asked her specifically, "T-Mobile told you that?" And she repeated, "Yeah, T-Mobile told us that."

This was after I'd mentioned that I was looking to get an iPhone eventually but that I'd have to end my long-running relationship with T-Mobile to switch to AT&T. She said, "No you don't. You can just get an unlocked iPhone. And Apple is going to come out with a phone on all the carriers." I said, "but that's going to be a while because AT&T and Apple have an exclusive contract for several years," and that's when she relayed that T-Mobile will be getting a non-iPhone phone from Apple sooner than later. I got the impression that that meant sometime in the next year or so.

Any credence to this? Discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Interesting to say the least. I wonder if AT&T would know anything about this, but also, we know very little about the Apple/AT&T contract. For all we know it's only a 1 to 2 year exclusive.

I'm actually kind of excited. Now that Tmobile has bought Suncom, I'll have Tmobile coverage down here in the Carolinas like I had it when living in New England. I really don't like Sprint, their phones, or their CS, and have dreaded going to AT&T. Hope springs eternal.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    You guys really believe this? I think they just didn't want you to jump ship.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

You guys really believe this? I think they just didn't want you to jump ship.

Oh, that's very possible. I'm not saying I believe it, but it is interesting nonetheless. I don't doubt for a minute, though, that T-Mobile has a plan when a customer says, "I'm thinking of dumping you guys for an iPhone from AT&T. Maybe this is it?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    My guess is the rep had no idea what he was talking about. I have heard a 3UK rep say iphone is coming to 3 soon. What am I supposed to make of that?

He was just talking shit telling you what you wanted to hear. Often I have found that in sotre reps are abotu as clueless as customers who have no idea.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

(MODS: The parenthetical statement in the subject is supposed to read "(But it's not an iPhone)". I hit the wrong buttons and accidentally activated the thread. Please fix)

Okay, anybody that knows me here knows that I don't go around starting rumors or saying, "I gotta guy that knows a guy that works for Apple and HE says..."

But I was at the T-Mobile-owned kiosk at the local mall this weekend and the employee there told me that Apple was developing a phone for T-Mobile but that "it won't be called an iPhone." I asked her specifically, "T-Mobile told you that?" And she repeated, "Yeah, T-Mobile told us that."

This was after I'd mentioned that I was looking to get an iPhone eventually but that I'd have to end my long-running relationship with T-Mobile to switch to AT&T. She said, "No you don't. You can just get an unlocked iPhone. And Apple is going to come out with a phone on all the carriers." I said, "but that's going to be a while because AT&T and Apple have an exclusive contract for several years," and that's when she relayed that T-Mobile will be getting a non-iPhone phone from Apple sooner than later. I got the impression that that meant sometime in the next year or so.

Any credence to this? Discuss.

No.

No credence at all.

Of course, if you lived in another country, you could get the phone from T-Mobile.

If you want it in the land of AT&T, just wait another 4 years and hope AT&T doesn't make a bid to extend their contract to own the market for iPhone U.S.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I'm with bavlondon2 on this one. I'm going to call "clueless kiosk chick" on this one. My wife asked T-Mobile about when her contract ends. When you type that question into the support site it triggers a responses that tries to retain you as a customer.

No iPhone equals no T-mobile for us. Apple is not coming out with a non-"iPhone" iPhone. What is it? Exactly like and iPhone but not an iPhone
  • Reply 7 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    She may have been referring to one of those iPhone look a likes from another manufacturer.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    waste, "a salesperson AT THE MALL".... OH NOW THAT'S A GOOD SOURCE. verizon did something like that as well, everyone wants the iphone and guess what i used to go to phone scoop everyday to see what's new. i''m getting an iphone. period period. i don't listen to those other carriers its just junk