Apple exploring dual-sided translucent touch-screen panels

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Flip is really the only thing that makes sense. There's no chance of accidental activation and the screen is protected. Also, instead of the moronic action of activating your iPhone with a finger swipe, simply opening the phone takes care of it... no distractions. Clamshell is the same concept that keeps your MacBook from getting damaged in transit. Once Apple makes a flip phone, all will be right with the world.

Gee... we couldn't all just agree that some people like sliders and some like flips could we?

(I'm in the flip camp myself.)
  • Reply 42 of 72
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I would rather see this version of an iPhone nano. Drop the Internet & such; I will do all that on my Newton 2?

;^p

I'm afraid I have to agree with those who say that Apple's goal here is the platform, not the phone. More energy will be put into variations on 'internet communicator' than on phone, ultimately focusing on VOIP when contractual obligations expire.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

i disagree with all your comments on flip phones. ever used a japanese flip phone? nice big, clear screens and good sized keypad. i've got an NEC flip phone, the hinge is rock solid after 2.5 years. it's a great phone, much more user friendly than the nokia 6200 that i also have atm.

i for one would love to see a flip iPhone.

The candy-bar/flip phone debate is a tough one. There are people (me) who are unlikely to buy flip phones. There are also people (you?) who feel the opposite. At first I didn't like flip phones because anything that moves will break, but now I don't even like how they look: the mock-up earlier in this thread is quite unattractive and, well... stupid, imho. The iPhone would be perfect if it lost the internet and was two-thirds the size. But you can't please everyone...
  • Reply 44 of 72
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

The candy-bar/flip phone debate is a tough one. There are people (me) who are unlikely to buy flip phones. There are also people (you?) who feel the opposite. At first I didn't like flip phones because anything that moves will break, but now I don't even like how they look: the mock-up earlier in this thread is quite unattractive and, well... stupid, imho. The iPhone would be perfect if it lost the internet and was two-thirds the size. But you can't please everyone...

i -prefer- flip phones, well the good ones at least, and again japan leads the way in flips, imo. however, when the iPhone is officially available on these antipodean shores i'll be getting one, flip or no. i've had a play on one, and i like it, despite it not being a flipper.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Gee... we couldn't all just agree that some people like sliders and some like flips could we?

(I'm in the flip camp myself.)

No. Everyone who is wrong must be beaten into submission.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

too true...
  • Reply 47 of 72
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

"There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always ? do not forget this, Winston ? always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face . . . for ever"
  • Reply 48 of 72
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I'm afraid I have to agree with those who say that Apple's goal here is the platform, not the phone. More energy will be put into variations on 'internet communicator' than on phone, ultimately focusing on VOIP when contractual obligations expire.

Yes! As much as I want VOIP right now its not going to happen on a grand scale tommorow. I'm starting to learn how Steve Jobs thinks. He sees several years from now...perhaps 5 years on the nose the day after his AT&T contract expires. By then he sees most all voice communication going to VOIP. And most of his devices will have transitioned to voip calling devices of some sort.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    If we could get past the phone bickering for a tick, if this technology is headed for a MacBook, it would be interesting to see how Apple manages to solve the balance issue when the upright screen, which now contains the mobo, drives and other internals, is much heavier than the panel that will act as keyboard and touch pad.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    Quote:

I would rather see this version of an iPhone nano. Drop the Internet & such; I will do all that on my Newton 2?

;^p

I don't think Apple would dump the Internet and Email if they were to do a phone like that
  • Reply 51 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I'll admit that I want the whole internet on my mobile phone. But I also want my mobile phone to fit in my BLOODY POCKET!!!!

if you think that an iPhone nano is a silly idea, you haven't looked in the mirror while wearing a phone in a special case on your belt. I hate to say it, but the phone holster is not the gun-slinger look of the modern age, any more than the pocket protector was 40 years ago. Its just an unfortunate and fairly lame by-product of bulky and fragile phones. iPhones are not fragile (remember that one which was run over by a truck? http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/02/i...tell-the-tale/). So the real problem is that they don't fit into a pocket. Give me an iphone interface, with the same level of internet access that actually fits in my pocket, and I'll shill out $800 clams without thinking.

Call me crazy, but its the one big thing I've been waiting for all this time!

Ok, you're crazy.

The idea that Apple will come out with a SMALLER phone (less battery) is just silly.

Smaller screen means no internet.

Means it's just a phone, which you can buy on any street corner or just get as a give-away.

Apple is clearly not going to get into that money losing market, and if you don't undrstand that you simply don't understand Apple.

They're going upscale not low-brow.

And lets stop the stupid made up images.

The smaller iPhone nano image was silly, but not as dumb as the flip-phone plastic iPhone garbage posted here.

Let's move on to what Apple is realy doing, which is more powerful cpu's, more memory, and more applications that will be really hard on the battery.

Get off the "Apple will sell a phone they can't make any money on, so they can win market share" idea.

They didn't do that in laptops and desktops even though everyone said they should,

they certainly won't do something that stupid in the phone world.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    When the iPod nano came out it did everything the original iPod could do and more. If/when a smaller iPhone comes out, it will be at least as powerful as the current iPhone. Especially now that independent developers will be making apps for the iPhone, Apple can't/won't release an iPhone that won't run those applications. Therefore the "iPhone nano" would a) have to be as powerful as today's iPhone, b) would have to be Internet-enabled (an iPhone that can't use the Internet would be like an iPod that can't play music), and c) would have to (somehow) have the same screen real estate. One cold make the iPhone a teeny bit smaller by having even higher resolution and shaving off millimeters, but it's not getting down to iPod nano sizes any time soon.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't think anything like the iPhone is going to be practical at much smaller sizes, unless you switch the screen keyboard to a 15 key pad with something like T9 entry. I really don't see why people think the size is a big problem with the current model. I thought it might be big until I actually saw one. Hacking out the internet stuff would seem to defeat the point of all the marketing they've done. I'd much rather see them keep the one design, but sell several capacities.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Hyperbole, I expect. But I feel the same. The size of the old Mini is as large as I would consider pocket-size -- the size of the iPhone/Touch/Classic, is too large to fit nicely in my pockets. I also don't carry a wallet because they're too bulky for my liking (I carry only three cards -- bank, credit, license -- and a bit of cash).

Agreed. Try fitting an iPhone into jeans. Unless you carry a manpurse, the way to go is smaller.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:

Flip is really the only thing that makes sense. There's no chance of accidental activation and the screen is protected. Also, instead of the moronic action of activating your iPhone with a finger swipe, simply opening the phone takes care of it... no distractions. Clamshell is the same concept that keeps your MacBook from getting damaged in transit. Once Apple makes a flip phone, all will be right with the world.

There is no chance of accidental activation. Sliders have a lock/unlock switch on their side. And there is nothing to get damaged. Does the current iPhone get damaged without a clamshell? NO.

Neither do LG slider phones like the Chocalate and the Venus- both which have haptic touch screens. Sony/Ericsson just released their own slider phone . Put out an Apple iPhone Nano slider and I will switch from Verizon - in a heart beat.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

;^p

You'll never see an iPhone nano without the Internet. It's a Wifi Smartphone.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You'll never see an iPhone nano without the Internet. It's a Wifi Smartphone.

Exactly. Why the heck would Apple want to eliminate web access? This is one area where their screen interface is miles ahead of the competition.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

i disagree with all your comments on flip phones. ever used a japanese flip phone? nice big, clear screens and good sized keypad. i've got an NEC flip phone, the hinge is rock solid after 2.5 years. it's a great phone, much more user friendly than the nokia 6200 that i also have atm.

i for one would love to see a flip iPhone.

I like flip phones too. I've only used LG (Korean) and Motorloa flips though. Are the Japanese ones thin? The others I found too bulky.

Either way I would be satisfied really as long as there is a additional model and it's smaller than the current iPhone.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    Quote:

Exactly. Why the heck would Apple want to eliminate web access? This is one area where their screen interface is miles ahead of the competition.

They should just eliminate the data plan option, not everybody needs nor wants a smartphone (by that I mean one with enhanced data processing). Texting is fine for most.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

There is no chance of accidental activation. Sliders have a lock/unlock switch on their side. And there is nothing to get damaged.

The screen, or the plastic that covers the screen.

Quote:

Does the current iPhone get damaged without a clamshell? NO.

Some have.