Apple unleashes new version of Safari web browser

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i noticed debugger no longer works. anyone else notice this?

on yahoo classic mail i lost my avatar. what is webkit?
  • Reply 102 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

what is webkit?

Short version: WebKit is the engine that makes Safari render pages.

Long version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit

If you DL and use WebKit it will still show your current Safari app in the about and have all your bookmarks, history, etc as it still need s the Safari front-end, but the engine will be WebKit and you will know the difference betwen the two by the rim colour of the Safari icon in your Dock.

PS: I stated in an earlier thread that the non-Beta Safari 3.1 outperforms all other beta release browsers in the Acid3 test. That is no longer true with the latest Presto engine in the Opera browser.
  • Reply 103 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackPepper View Post

Let's say I am eating snacks with my left hand and browsing the web pages with mouse using my bookmarks. I do this everyday when I read newspapers. I can't/don't want to use or reach keyboard. Do I have to?

I mean just put this button over there, some will use, some won't, but everybody will be happy! What is the point of 'not giving that option' to users?

If you look under the 'view' menu in 'Customize Toolbar' you can add a 'tab' button to your tool bar. I'm sure that option's been there for ages. Is this what you meant?

oops! Just realized I have SafariStand installed to get that option.
  • Reply 104 of 124
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    OK, edumacate me. If I scroll up one or two posts and highlight the word "WebKit", right mouse click or command-click the highlighted word, select "Search with Google" and it opens the Google search results in the same tab? I want it to open the search results in a new tab, as I'm probably bouncing back and forth looking for something specific and I don't want to lose easy access to the original source. What am I missing? I looked in preferences but didn't find an option along these lines.
  • Reply 105 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

OK, edumacate me. If I scroll up one or two posts and highlight the word "WebKit", right mouse click or command-click the highlighted word, select "Search with Google" and it opens the Google search results in the same tab? I want it to open the search results in a new tab, as I'm probably bouncing back and forth looking for something specific and I don't want to lose easy access to the original source. What am I missing?

You have to hold down Control when clicking on Search In Google, the same way that holding down Control when clicking on a link.
  • Reply 106 of 124
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Whoever use IE for his daily usage is just plain ignorant, get FireFox if you dont like Safari, IE is a browser that should just lay dead and die.

I totally feel like an alien when I use IE, the interface is soo yuck!.

For me, the best browsers are :

Safari and Firefox (The speed is almost the same, just Safari has some stability issues, but in terms of easy to use, Safari beats FireFox. In terms of features, Firefox beats Safari cause of the add-ons)

OK browser is:

Opera (Okay browser but will take time to get used to)

Worse broswer that should just die:

The holy grail of all browsers, INTERNET EXPLORER!!!!. (have I mentioned that IE should just lay dead and die?)

Sheesh, each time you open a new tab in IE a page displayi about you open new tab is just plain stupid, Its like MSoft is telling everybody that this is a new feature in web browser history. Die IE die!!!!
  • Reply 107 of 124
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    People that use 1Password (great program btw) should know that the Safari update kills 1Password when using that browser.

1Password does have an update now however, all you do is open 1Password and it will offer to install the update.. and it works! Sweet!

S.
  • Reply 108 of 124
    jwpjwp Posts: 1member
    It seems that in the new version of Safari the debug menu cannot be activated. What would be the reason?

Jan Willem.
  • Reply 109 of 124
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You have to hold down Control when clicking on Search In Google, the same way that holding down Control when clicking on a link.

Thanks sol, I *knew* I was missing something...
  • Reply 110 of 124
    More crashes for me and some Apple sites load painfully slow after the update. Hmm...
  • Reply 111 of 124
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i've had to use the "old gmail" format with safari, and it works, but with the upgrade, here goes my gmail issues. when i click shift key, it puts the text and punctuation in the subject line. i had a b..ch of a time doing my gmal last night. any one else with this problem?? i like safari for its slick work, and privacy checkoff, but come on get the thing tested with things people use...like GMAIL
  • Reply 112 of 124
    After Software Update downloaded the new Safari, it began to install, then I got an error stating that the 'second part' of the installer was damaged, I then had to reboot OS X and when I got back to my desktop all my apps had corrupted!! Disk Utility was the only app I tried that worked, but iPhoto, Microsoft Office, iWork, iMovie, Safari etc were all corrupt. Disk Util couldn't fix it so here I am having to reinstall Leopard, hurrah

I knew I should have setup that recovery partition for Time Machine the other day... oh well, it'll be reet

Disaster Count

Leopard: 1

Vista: 118,744,901
  • Reply 113 of 124
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwp View Post

It seems that in the new version of Safari the debug menu cannot be activated. What would be the reason?

Jan Willem.

It's called Develop now and is placed between Bookmarks and Window.
  • Reply 114 of 124
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Quote:

i've had to use the "old gmail" format with safari, and it works, but with the upgrade, here goes my gmail issues. when i click shift key, it puts the text and punctuation in the subject line. i had a b..ch of a time doing my gmal last night. any one else with this problem?? i like safari for its slick work, and privacy checkoff, but come on get the thing tested with things people use...like GMAIL

Well, my gmail works fine, somehow Gmail doesnt goes well with firefox, somehow its very jumpy on firefox
  • Reply 115 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Well, my gmail works fine, somehow Gmail doesnt goes well with firefox, somehow its very jumpy on firefox

Hmmm, I can't type text into a reply field anymore and now have to switch to FF just to reply to an email. . In the the previous version it was only the google chat widget that was not working.

I thought google and apple were getting along quite allright?!
  • Reply 116 of 124
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Safari 3.1 crashes fairly consistently, and definitely more than 3.0 (which crashed *waaaaay* to often IMHO). Bummer.
  • Reply 117 of 124
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    3.1 has been great for me so far. Much more stable than 3.0.x
  • Reply 118 of 124
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

3.1 has been great for me so far. Much more stable than 3.0.x

No crashes yet for me either.

FF beta 3 and Safari 3.1 really fly. I can see a difference when I use Camino. In fact I find I don't like using it as much.
  • Reply 119 of 124
    The differences in performance are interesting.

I have 3.1 installed on one computer and get more crashes than before, better performance with some sites and incredibly slow performance with others. My other computer feels swifter and smoother overall running the old Safari.
  • Reply 120 of 124
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Downloaded Safari 3.1... unfortunately, Apple has still not included a functioning "QUIT" command to exit the program.

Instead, if you have more than 3 tabs, or the browser has been open, Safari hangs. It can't quit. You can close windows individually, and then quit. But it cannot quit by itself, even in 30 minutes.

I have a MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz with 2GB RAM. When I need to exit Safari, personally I just force quit it. Trying to quit for real only works 30% of the time. This is on an immaculate machine that otherwise works perfectly.

Safari has many good attributes. But 'QUIT' has always been a neat feature and I can't wait for it to be included on Safari 3.0.