Adobe begins work on Flash player for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Adobe has started development of a Flash player suitable for use on Apple Inc.'s iPhone, company chief executive Shantanu Narayen said Tuesday.

Narayen made the revelation during a conference call with investors, explaining that Apple's recent release of an iPhone software developers kit (SDK) has afforded his company the necessary tools to finally begin work a version of its proprietary media player for the touch-screen handset.

"We believe Flash is synonymous with the Internet experience, and we are committed to bringing Flash to the iPhone," he said. "We have evaluated (the software developer tools) and we think we can develop an iPhone Flash player ourselves."

Narayen's comments are the latest in an ongoing saga between the two companies largely played out by the media. It all began last month following claims on the part of one gadget blog that Flash on the iPhone was finally imminent.

That surprised Adobe spokesman Ryan Stewart, who quickly noted in an official company blog post that: "No one aside from [Apple chief executive] Steve Jobs has any idea if or when it's coming. Everyone I talk to doesn’t know anything."

For his part, Jobs would later claim that technological limitations were to blame for the absence of the media player, which has grown in recent years to become a staple of the modern web experience, fueling everything from media-intensive advertisements to full-fledged websites.

The version of Flash player that runs on Macs and PCs is "too slow to be useful" on the iPhone, he said during the March 4th Apple shareholders meeting, while the mobile version known as Flash Lite is "not capable of being used with the Web."

"There's this missing product in the middle," Jobs added. "It just doesn't exist."

Narayen and his team now appear poised to alter that notion. They hope to deliver their missing product via Apple's new App Store, set to open in June alongside the release of iPhone software version 2.0.

Still, several unanswered questions remain, such as how the Flash player would function within websites given Apple's current iPhone developer guidelines which seem to require that all third-party software be released as standalone applications rather than as plug-ins.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    will apple let them install it as a plug in?
  • Reply 2 of 73
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    As long as its a plug-in that I can keep the hell off my iPhone or iPod, then I don't care what the hell Adobe does or doesn't do. From the experience of the end-user, Flash sucks arse. I can't tell you how thrilled I was the day I discovered Flashblock and Firefox.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Well....it's about FRIGGIN TIME!! :-)
  • Reply 4 of 73
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    "We believe Flash is synonymous with the Internet experience".

A little full of ourselves, aren't we?

Synonymous with annoying internet experience, maybe.

LIsten... I'm sure there are a lot of cool things being done with Flash, and I understand the fun Flash developers have with it.

But Flash is NOT the internet, and the meme that we're not getting 'real' internet without it is more than annoying. Its really dangerous for any concept of a standards-based internet.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    Yeah I definitely don't miss annoying Flash ads on my iPhone.

I miss the days of web sites just being easy to read and navigate.

Now you have to look at six things before you actually find the info you need.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think it would be funny if they wrote it and then Apple refused to distribute it.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    Let's not be hasty and see how it turns out before going ballistic. I say as long as the user can turn it on or off, then make it available and leave it up to the user. That should satisfy everyone.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Let's not be hasty and see how it turns out before going ballistic. I say as long as the user can turn it on or off, then make it available and leave it up to the user. That should satisfy everyone.

I totally agree. I think it has its advantages and disadvantages. The best solution is to warn the user of the possible negatives, but give them the choice. I would want it sometime, but by default, I would leave it off. As for being a plug-in or Apple allowing it, I think the solution would be for Adobe to create their own browser with Flash support.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think it's just hot air. I don't see how it complies with the SDK terms of use.

The rumor from the Apple Phone Show was that the real hold-up is something completely different from what Apple & reps have been telling us, something about complex rights issues. I'll have to dig it up, my memory is fuzzy on that.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    As someone who does quite a bit of Flash work, I can say that it does not belong on the iPhone. The best thing about the iPhone, is that it forces developers to make things simple, and elegant and to the point. Mediatemple.com is a hosting company that has a iPhone version of their account management center, which I think is far slicker than the standard version. So much time is wasted with retarded and rediculouse interfaces and bloat. If done properly, Flash can be great - but executed wrong (which is 90% of the time at least) boy is it fucking annoying beyond belief.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'd make more use of Copy & Paste than flash on my iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

... As for being a plug-in or Apple allowing it, I think the solution would be for Adobe to create their own browser with Flash support.

That would mean we'll have to wait for apple to make a 128 gig iphone...
  • Reply 13 of 73
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

will apple let them install it as a plug in?

It is Apple's rules so I'm sure they'll make an exception for the Flash player. I doubt Java will get as good of treatment as Flash will.

Personally, I can do without either Flash or Java on the iPhone. If they are there then fine, but so far I haven't missed them.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Jobs NEVER said that he didn't want flash on the phone. just as the article says, he said that the proper software wasn't available. If Adobe can come up with that software, I can't see any reason why Apple wouldn't use it.

Even though some people make such a big deal as to how they hate it, I would like to see it. I don't know any reason why it couldn't be turned off, or removed, for those who just can't stand the idea.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    iphone is a new platform, just like MS wanted to own the desktop for the pc platform. MS realizes that the new "desktop" is the mobile platform. iphone has shown it can capture more and more of the internet on the mobile platform, and is the "one to beat" the clear leader in the new "mobile internet" we are seeing only the beginning of this growth....what in less than a year. so with this new ever expanding "platform" adobe is looking to be left out..... it can't have that. SJ has other options and all those years of put downs by adobe is catching up. the real use of mobile flash is FOR ADS---making money for the sites. i don't want my iphone experience garbaged up with flash junk everywhere like it is on my internet experience now. there are ways around flash. and SJ has that already, youtube is porting to a non flash codec, SJ doesn't want flash on the iphone for a bunch of reasons. I trust SJ to protect our experience the iphone will be or is the standard for user interface....and that does not need flash. there are others more in the know than i for what codec works best for the iphone. the user interface is already making the iphone the new standard...wow in less than a year.

i agree with the above statement "If done properly, Flash can be great - but executed wrong (which is 90% of the time at least) boy is it fucking annoying beyond belief."

so stop with the "we have to have flash" " flash defines the web experience" to what are the options for a clean user experience without hogging all the bandwidth and processor.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    I'd be happy to buy an iphone if it had flash (player) as an application (so I can download and run swf files) - but if it was available as a plugin in the browser I'd likely turn it off. Looks like I'll be buying an iphone in the summer

ade.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Apple are going to have to make exceptions, or they're just going to look stupid. Having a 'no interpreted code' clause in the SDK contract is fine for most people, and you can see why they do it, but for the big software companies theres no real reason not to allow them access.

The clause is there to ensure that the software is 'complete' when apple test it, so that you can't go sending extra code to the program when it's running.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Jobs NEVER said that he didn't want flash on the phone. just as the article says, he said that the proper software wasn't available. If Adobe can come up with that software, I can't see any reason why Apple wouldn't use it.

Agree in part. I just can't see any reason why Apple would us it, as yet.

Quote:

Even though some people make such a big deal as to how they hate it, I would like to see it. I don't know any reason why it couldn't be turned off, or removed, for those who just can't stand the idea.

I think that there are too many who just wouldn't comprehend the choice, causing more dissension from ignorance as seen in many of the arguments posted here.

Although this article (http://www.mercurious.com/wordpress/...one-and-flash/) was published last August, it does appear to have some relevance. Perhaps Melgross you could give your take on it.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    danukdanuk Posts: 31member
    Can someone finally enlighten me- What do they mean by "Flash Lite is not capable of being used with the web"? What does it do then?

I know it is on the N95 but what function does it serve?

(Also- any ideas of how to circumvent the 'roll-over' functionality of so much of flash? - Ireland- I have notice that you are one for solving these kind of touch-interface problems...)
  • Reply 20 of 73
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Well they already have a Mac development division right? Should be able to get their stuff on the iPhone faster than other companies.