Mac OS X 10.6 - What will they call it? And what will it have?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    spamboyspamboy Posts: 34member
    In case you haven't noticed, if you break each cat name used into hexidecimal codes for each letter, and then take each hex code as its original ascii equivalent, and convert it to binary, you will notice a trend-that the sum gain of each cat name grows sequentially.

This leads me to believe that the next version of the Mac OS....10.5......will be named "Leopard".
  • Reply 42 of 65
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Are you on glue??
  • Reply 43 of 65
    lugesmlugesm Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spamboy View Post

In case you haven't noticed, if you break each cat name used into hexidecimal codes for each letter, and then take each hex code as its original ascii equivalent, and convert it to binary, you will notice a trend-that the sum gain of each cat name grows sequentially.

This leads me to believe that the next version of the Mac OS....10.5......will be named "Leopard".

LOL
  • Reply 44 of 65
    zenarcadezenarcade Posts: 126member
    While the gui will be more of what it is today, the changing of a filesystem and the "satelite"-eco system of ipods and iphones will be enough that when Steve Jobs introduce the next OS in 2010, it will be under a new moniker.

Jobs introduced OSX in 2000. Back then Apple was all about the mac and the internett.

In 2010, Apple will be about the mac, iphone and ALL MEDIA. (!!!)

Cats are cool. But a bit long in the tooth. What can the next line be about ? Mercury , Gemini , Apollo ?

Zon
  • Reply 45 of 65
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Saber Tooth (cat) which is X-tinct. Sorry for the pun.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

Is it too early to be thinking about OS 10.6? I say no. But before we embark on trying to guess what the 'friendly' name for the next OS X release will be, let's look at what we've had previously...

10.0 - Cheetah

10.1 - Puma

10.2 - Jaguar

10.3 - Panther

10.4 - Tiger

10.5 - Leopard

10.6 - Zebra??

So far a rather obvious pattern, wild cats, if I were to assume they stick to the wild cat thing I'm going to throw my guess into the hat and say the next major release will be called Mac OS X 10.6 "Lynx"... and will ship with an Atari Lynx emulator (okay perhaps not)...

If they do away with the cat pattern (would that be a cattern?) I'm going out on a limb and say they'll call it.......

Zebra... and if you check my post further down this thread you'll see my reason why...

And what innovative new features will 10.6 bring? I think the most-hyped feature will be something relating to a next-gen multi-touch interface... but what else? We've got 64-bit, a 128-bit OS is highly unlikely at this stage or next, we've all the 'core animation' we can shake a stick at... what next?! Maybe they'll add a Dock that uses the inbuilt iSight camera in a semi-transparent way making the Dock SO reflective that you can see yourself in it! That would be great!

So, what do you think? Answers on a postcard please, or on the forum will be just fine I'm sure

They finally got it under control so.... Felis Silvestris Catus
  • Reply 47 of 65
    ...would be 10.6 "Alley Cat"
  • Reply 48 of 65
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Liger. BTW. This is a hardware forum. This thread should be moved.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

BTW. This is a hardware forum. This thread should be moved.

Done.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    OS X 10.6 Serval

"An OS so good you'll see spots" is the tagline.

New features are

More multicore tools

Built in virtualization

ZFS is default OS

Core Quicktime (CQT)

Open GL 3.0

Metadata that survives cross FS travels.

NTFS read/write
  • Reply 51 of 65
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

More multicore tools

Yup

Quote:

Built in virtualization

Nope

Quote:

ZFS is default OS

Doubtful. Will be an option.

Quote:

NTFS read/write

99% "certainty"

For those that are interested, you can already get write support for NTFS into OS X, it's just a bit complicated. I can't remember which, but the chief coder for either MacFuse or ntfs-3G now works for Apple.

Update: this blog claims that it's this guy from the ntfs-3G project who has been hired by Apple.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenarcade View Post

While the gui will be more of what it is today, the changing of a filesystem and the "satelite"-eco system of ipods and iphones will be enough that when Steve Jobs introduce the next OS in 2010, it will be under a new moniker.

Jobs introduced OSX in 2000. Back then Apple was all about the mac and the internett.

In 2010, Apple will be about the mac, iphone and ALL MEDIA. (!!!)

Cats are cool. But a bit long in the tooth. What can the next line be about ? Mercury , Gemini , Apollo ?

Zon

And the Green Initiatives.

10.6 -> Carbon Free.

They can brag about their Hardware surpassing all the material issues and the Operating System purged of Carbon.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Tabby.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jules View Post

Tabby.

I was beaten to it

or maybe

Lion
  • Reply 55 of 65
    spamboyspamboy Posts: 34member
    Well, here are the ones I can think of that haven't been covered yet, and they're slim pickin's:

1) Lynx

2) Cougar

3) Lion

4) Bobcat

Apparently, Apple has registered Lynx and Cougar.

My guess is Lynx for 10.6.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The king of the jungle = _ _ _ _
  • Reply 57 of 65
    abreuabreu Posts: 3member
    OS X 10.6: Lynx

Likely -

Carbon-free (as stated by someone earlier)

Profile (complete profile including docs) syncing between desktop & laptop

(mentioned earlier probably as mac pro to macbook sync but only as file sync)

Resolution independence (as mentioned already)

External drives mounted in a section of the Dock instead of the desktop

(A section of the Dock reserved for drives instead of throwing them on the desktop)

Front Row replaced with full Apple TV application with live HD broadcast and record support

(tuner purchased seperately of course, hey maybe they can bundle the remote with a tuner now O.o )

Major rework of the firewall (I personally liked the Tiger firewall better than Leopard's)

Less likely but possible -

Support for parallel computing (when support for such finds its way to the mac pro/server)

.NET/CLR support with GUI integration (like JAVA is supported)

Support for Apple branded usb drive that boots on any pc hardware to OS X making use of profile sync above

(iDrive or something like that? Nothing fancy - just the nuts and bolts with iWork/iChat/etc... don't have to support other webcams and such)

Virtualization of desktop OS X (Not likely but could be possible)

And finally -

Support for installation on non-Apple hardware!

(Just kidding, they have a good thing going controlling the total consumer experience but it would be cool to see this with the server release)
  • Reply 58 of 65
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abreu View Post

Resolution independence (as mentioned already)

I think that's not so likely for 10.6

Quote:

External drives mounted in a section of the Dock instead of the desktop

Hmmm, why would you want them on the Dock instead of the desktop? If that's the case, what's the point in having a desktop?

Quote:

Major rework of the firewall (I personally liked the Tiger firewall better than Leopard's)

agreed!

Quote:

Bundled remote desktop application

(I know iChat has desktop sharing but a standalone bundled app would be nice - IT guy here)

Errrr, Apple Screen Sharing, perhaps?

• Reply 59 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Errrr, Apple Screen Sharing, perhaps?

Yep - I totally missed that one - LOL
  • Reply 60 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Hmmm, why would you want them on the Dock instead of the desktop? If that's the case, what's the point in having a desktop?

Actually, I'm one of those weird users that likes to have a clean desktop (no files/shortcuts/etc... on my desktop). Don't know why but it is just one of those things that bothers me as much as a picture that is on a wall but not level...