Briefly: R.E.M. at Apple Store; iMac inventories, iPhone music apps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
One of the pioneers of the alternative rock scene will play an exclusive set next week at Apple's flagship retail store in London. Meanwhile, retailers are attempting to clear out stock of current generation iMacs. And Apple will reportedly disallow third-party iPhone music apps.

R.E.M. signs on for Live From London gig

R.E.M., arguably one of the most prominent alternative rock bands of the 80's and 90's, will mark the third anniversary of Apple's "iTunes Live From London" series next week with an exclusive performance at the company's Regent Street retail store in London.

Michael Stipe and Co. will perform tracks from their new album Accelerate, due for release at the end of the month. Recordings from the show will later be released exclusively as digital downloads from the iTunes Store.

As was the case with a similar gig featuring Linkin Park at Apple's SoHo flagship shop in Manhattan last month, entry to the event will be extremely limited and not open to the general public. Instead, the show will be made privy to about 450 selected fan club members and winners of competitions run up by XFM and the Evening Standard.

The performance will take place Wednesday, March 26th at an undisclosed time (likely after hours).

Trimming iMac inventories

Several international Apple resellers are offering promotions aimed at clearing inventory of current iMacs ahead of refreshed models that will see the all-in-one desktop systems adopt the same 45-nanometer Intel mobile Penryn processors as the Mac maker's MacBook lines.

In particular, John Lewis is offering current generation iMacs with a free copy of Microsoft Office Student and Home Edition until March 29th. However, the upscale UK-based department store lists two of the three standard retail configurations as being out of stock.

Similarly, Canada-based Future Shop is promoting unusually steep discounts of between $50 and $100 Canadian dollars on the entire iMac line. The retailer held a similar sale on MacBook Pros in the weeks leading up to their most recent refresh.

iPhone's iTunes APIs not open to developers

It's being report that any functionality related to music playback on the iPhone will be off limits to third-party developers using the company's new iPhone SDK.

While the kit allows access to phone, camera, and Internet functions, all components with ties to iTunes are inaccessible, preventing developers from accessing one of the most popular features of the handset.

It's speculated that the restriction may be a means to blocking alternatives to the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store which could potentially nibble at Apple's music sales. Alternatively, it could be an unfortunate side-effect of measures aimed at stifling creation of enhancements to music functions, such as native versions of the iLike or Last.fm plug-ins, MacNN reports.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    Sounds great, but after reading about the new Nehalem processors coming from intel later this year, I'm tempted to keep on waiting for a new iMac.

edit: yes, I can wait a year... maybe.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

Sounds great, but after reading about the new Nehalem processors coming from intel later this year, I'm tempted to keep on waiting for a new iMac.

Those won't make it into an iMac until 2009. The first Nehalems will likely be high end Xeon chips which Apple could never run inside the iMac's streamlined enclosure. They're just too hot. Notebook and Desktop flavors of Nehalem aren't expected until next year.

Best,

K
  • Reply 3 of 44
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Well, later this year when Nehalem comes out, Intel will be detailing what's in store for Spring 2009, etc. The nice thing about the move to x86 is that there is always steady progress. We're no longer in the PowerPC era when there was one big chip update a year or so, and Macs were slightly faster for a month or two then fell behind for the rest of the year.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Hmm well that sucks, I currently use MobileScrobbler on my jailbroken iPhone. I wonder if it will still work after the 2.0 firmware if I jailbreak?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

That's true.

I also hope it also gets an overhaul in looks and goes back to being a stylish trandsetter it once was when it was white and gorgeous- and as all the models before that were as well.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Novaoblivion View Post

Hmm well that sucks, I currently use MobileScrobbler on my jailbroken iPhone. I wonder if it will still work after the 2.0 firmware if I jailbreak?

I've been musing on whether Apple will continue to allow jailbreaks after the ver 2 software is out. Jailbreaking requires the well known security flaw in the Safari browser in the iPhone to work. While Apple has fixed a number of other security flaws in the iPhone since it came out, they have not fixed that one. That flaw is considered to be serious, as it allows malicious apps to take the device over, as indeed, the jailbreaks do.

The question is, why has apple allowed this to continue? My feeling is that they can fix this any time they want to, but haven't.

Why? Because they want the jailbreaks to continue. It gives them a good idea of what apps may be developed, how many people want apps, sells more phones, creates news, etc.

Once their own ver 2 software is out, and the SDK is producing validated apps, they likely won't need the jailbreak anymore.

So, at some point in the future, once they have co-opted most of the jailbreaking developers over to writing validated apps, they might close it down.

Once they do that, there may not be any method to get apps on the phone other than their own portal.

I know it's easy to say that another way will be found, but that may not be true. This security breach is an important one, and there may not be anything equivalent.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's true.

I also hope it also gets an overhaul in looks and goes back to being a stylish trandsetter it once was when it was white and gorgeous- and as all the models before that were as well.

Oh, I surely hope it doesn't go back to that now, outdated, look. The new look is very much responsible for the large increase in sales.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...clearing inventory of current iMacs ahead of refreshed models...

Will they just be "refreshed" or have they also fixed a seemingly "widespread" problem of random shutdowns as discussed in this lengthy Apple Support forum topic?
  • Reply 9 of 44
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh, I surely hope it doesn't go back to that now, outdated, look. The new look is very much responsible for the large increase in sales.

Me too. No worries, tho... SJ never goes back to an older look. Something new might pop up, but the "Apple White look" is as outdated as the Beatles White album. Side by side, the old design looks thick and clunky next to the newer version.

I just wish they would build it so the visible display area was the same exact height as the corresponding Cinema display,. I'd like an iMac and a Cinema display sitting next to each other and let my eyes go easily back and forth between screens as they do on a multi-monitor Mac Pro setup.

As for stock dwindling -- the Apple store has been running special pricing on refurb iMacs for a while now. Usually a tell-tale sign of an update coming.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

HAH! Yeah, especially with that white mouse that doesn't match or is it the PC looking racoon black border that frames the image?

The increase in sales is due to the Intel processor and the overall increase awareness of Apple- OS, iPhone , etc. Don't fool yourself. It could be much more improved cosmetically. This current design has not won any design awards- has it?

I never said go back to the white design, but give us something innovative once again Apple for an iMac - not an evnvironmentall friendly, rehashed, Dell-looking version of the prior white iMac.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Apple is probably trying to protect the audio content from being streamed to other devices, which theoretically could also allow DRM protected content to be ripped from an audio stream. Course it may be a combination of all the possible outcomes but I think it is a stupid & crippling move.

A lot of apps could benefit from access to the music library, especially alarm/scheduling apps. I predict massive uproar about this will cause Apple to crumble.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

This current design has not won any design awards- has it?

Well, actually it did win one of the most prestiguos industrial design awards, the iF product design award 2008. Interestingly though: the award explanation mainly talks about the keyboard?!

I do agree with you, breaking the strict two-colour design of the white model and replacing it with this consumer TV design with non-matching keycaps, mouse and cable colours, that obscene black Apple logo and that cheap plastic back is only different, but certainly not better. Still, consumers are not designers and obviously they do like it. I could live with the new design, I cannot live with that glass screen cover. I hope Apple will either give us a matte option, or finally introduce an offer between the Mini and the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Little lesson in Canadian retail... MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) is illegal in Canada. I find it rather ironic that the USA, home of the ultimate free market, allows manufacturers to dictate pricing across the market while us left leaning Canadians have a true free market economy.

When I see discounts at a Canadian retailer, I don't think transition, I think "sale".
  • Reply 14 of 44
    I want Last.fm support on my Touch!
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

The increase in sales is due to the Intel processor and the overall increase awareness of Apple- OS, iPhone , etc. Don't fool yourself. It could be much more improved cosmetically. This current design has not won any design awards- has it?

No, it's not. Sales didn't pick up more than a bit until these new aluminum machines came out.

I don't know either way. I don't pay attention. Though I did read Apple won 8 design awards at CEBIT a short time go. I don't know which products they won for though. I suppose you could look it up.

Quote:

I never said go back to the white design, but give us something innovative once again Apple for an iMac - not an evnvironmentally rehashed Dell looking version of the prior white iMac.

You mentioned how gorgeous it was, so it's obvious you liked it that way. I happen to prefer the new design much more.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Little lesson in Canadian retail... MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) is illegal in Canada. I find it rather ironic that the USA, home of the ultimate free market, allows manufacturers to dictate pricing across the market while us left leaning Canadians have a true free market economy.

When I see discounts at a Canadian retailer, I don't think transition, I think "sale".

Amazon, and other retailers, sell Apple at discount, though Apple doesn't give the margins to retailers that many other manufacturers do.

Do you prefer a system like you have there where the "list" is much higher than the wholesale price so that you THINK you are getting a bargain, when you are simply being overcharged by some stores?
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I do agree with you, breaking the strict two-colour design of the white model and replacing it with this consumer TV design with non-matching keycaps, mouse and cable colours, that obscene black Apple logo and that cheap plastic back is only different, but certainly not better. Still, consumers are not designers and obviously they do like it. I could live with the new design, I cannot live with that glass screen cover. I hope Apple will either give us a matte option, or finally introduce an offer between the Mini and the Mac Pro.

And I agree with you. I love my white Intel matte iMac. I've added the aluminum white keyboard to it and it looks amazing. I will eventually upgrade to a newer iMac someday but will never buy the current TV version. Especially when it is turned off -it is a real iSore.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

No, it's not. Sales didn't pick up more than a bit until these new aluminum machines came out.

I don't know either way. I don't pay attention. Though I did read Apple won 8 design awards at CEBIT a short time go. I don't know which products they won for though. I suppose you could look it up.

You mentioned how gorgeous it was, so it's obvious you liked it that way. I happen to prefer the new design much more.

It is gorgeous and I do like it that way but I want to see something now that is completely different looking.

And by the way, the sales of the G3 iMacs (original) are what brought Apple the most attention not the current version. The original was completely revolutionary in its design. The current aluminum model is merely evolutionary at most.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I hope Apple will either give us a matte option, or finally introduce an offer between the Mini and the Mac Pro.

Exactly. Needs eSata port, as do all new Macs, and I'd like to see an ExpressCard slot. Finally, I would love to see Apple create a new Bluetooth multitouch trackpad that would match their small BT keyboard. As long as we're wishin'.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    pomopomo Posts: 51member
    Quote:

HAH! Yeah, especially with that white mouse that doesn't match or is it the PC looking racoon black border that frames the image?

I never said go back to the white design, but give us something innovative once again Apple for an iMac - not an evnvironmentally rehashed Dell looking version of the prior white iMac.

first off, I own an Al iMac and I honestly think that it is the best iMac yet. The colors are great and the black border does have a purpose. Our eyes capture more contrast by placing a true black border around a composition. Also, the white mouse does match the white keys and with the cables