Apple posts combo update for AirPort, Time Machine

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday afternoon posted a fix that amends issues with both its AirPort wireless adapters and its Time Machine backup utility.

Time Machine and AirPort Update 1.0 (10.9MB) is said to include compatibility fixes for users hoping to use Time Machine backups with the recently introduced Time Capsule wireless router and its built-in hard drive.

It also includes AirPort wireless driver fixes, according to Apple, though the company doesn't say which devices are affected or list symptoms.

The update is only available for systems running the client version of Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    PLEASE let me use Time Machine with my Airport Extreme!!
  • Reply 2 of 26
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Ya, jumbo frame support is back!
  • Reply 3 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

I'm pretty sure that will require an update to the AEBS.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm pretty sure that will require an update to the AEBS.

Users who've already installed say that this update does nothing for Time Machine over AEBS + attached drive. From what I've read, solipsism is right. Don't get your hopes up until you see an AEBS firmware update (and probably not even then).

I'd settle for a resolution to AEBS disks disappearing on computer sleep + wake. (Not in this update either, according to a few reports.)
  • Reply 5 of 26
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Both Time Capsule and Airport Extreme have been updated to 7.3.1. I'm somewhat disappointed I can't use Time Capsule as my main base station.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Users who've already installed say that this update does nothing for Time Machine over AEBS + attached drive. From what I've read, solipsism is right. Don't get your hopes up until you see an AEBS firmware update (and probably not even then).

I'd settle for a resolution to AEBS disks disappearing on computer sleep + wake. (Not in this update either, according to a few reports.)

Users elsewhere have reported that this DOES include an update to the AEBS firmware. And that it does allow Time Machine over AEBS + attached drive.

It sounds like the firmware upgrade doesn't appear until after a reboot.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    The folks over at Macrumors forums are saying that they now can use Time Machine sans hacks with their Airport Extremes. They posted screenshots and all seems to be well. To be honest, I'm surprised they addressed the issue considering that they could be losing sales on Time Capsule. But hey, maybe Apple realized that keeping their loyal customers happy is more important than selling a couple more TCs.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflie View Post

The folks over at Macrumors forums are saying that they now can use Time Machine sans hacks with their Airport Extremes. They posted screenshots and all seems to be well. To be honest, I'm surprised they addressed the issue considering that they could be losing sales on Time Capsule. But hey, maybe Apple realized that keeping their loyal customers happy is more important than selling a couple more TCs.

Yep. I'm sure there will be people disappointed that it turned out to be a technical issue that needed to be worked out and not the conspiracy theory about apple intentionally crippling the box to try and sell more time capsules.

• Reply 9 of 26
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Users elsewhere have reported that this DOES include an update to the AEBS firmware. And that it does allow Time Machine over AEBS + attached drive.

It sounds like the firmware upgrade doesn't appear until after a reboot.

Yep, what a difference ANOTHER update makes! When I first posted, none of the user reported discovering the firmware update. I've got something to try now.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Yep. I'm sure there will be people disappointed that it turned out to be a technical issue that needed to be worked out and not the conspiracy theory about apple intentionally crippling the box to try and sell more time capsules.

There are a growing number of posters at Mac Rumors that are confirming it. Looks pretty legit, but the issue with some may be that they have only done the client side update and not the AEBS firmware update.

Leopard 10.5.2 version changed from 9C31 to 9C7010. I don't recall that ever happening from non-point update.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    I can confirm Time Machine now supports USB disk on AEBS.

Launching Airport utility after updates brings about the firmware update for AEBS.

My Macbook pro picked up my sparse image from a drive that was originally connected to another mac and completed its hourly backup very quickly (801mb - I'm assuming due to the updates)

NO HACKS, JUST OFFICIAL UPDATES

JUMPING FOR JOY!!!!!!

Now, can someone just put in a request to get the stock back to the $180's? Then all my outstaning issues are solved.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Wow, I can't wait to try this at home.

I am really glad I waited on buying the Time capsule because that would have double slammed me having already bought two airport extremes in anticipation for Time machine.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Well, I STILL can't get the AEBS to work! \
  • Reply 14 of 26
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are a growing number of posters at Mac Rumors that are confirming it. Looks pretty legit, but the issue with some may be that they have only done the client side update and not the AEBS firmware update.

Leopard 10.5.2 version changed from 9C31 to 9C7010. I don't recall that ever happening from non-point update.

I disabled my hack and can also confirm not only does the firmware update work, but i'm getting darn close to half gigibit speed. Speed i never got with hacks. something is solved. well done apple. bottle neck is the usb ... so now I'll get the gigabit drive.

all should open airport utility and choose "check for updates ..." if you have not done it yet.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

did you open airport utility and choose check for updates ... because this won't work until the firmware get's on the extreme.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Folks: it works!

Update your Macs with Software Update, then update your AEBS by running Airport Utility and checking for updates inside it. Then plug in your USB drive, open Time Machine preferences and put a smile on your face.

Thanks to Apple's engineers for this one. It brings Time Machine goodness to my USB 1 only 12" PowerBook!
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

After all three updates, that for Time Machine and Airport 1.0, right through firmware upgrade of AEBS to 7.3.1

And

Reboots of both Mac and AEBS for good measure.

Attach your drive to Disk Utility and format the drive for HFS+ Journaled so it's a fresh drive (for some reason it requires this for assurance and stability)

Plug in the drive to your airport extreme and verify that the drive comes up as an available drive on the network

Run Time machine on your now available network drive.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuyutsuki View Post

Folks: it works!

Update your Macs with Software Update, then update your AEBS by running Airport Utility and checking for updates inside it. Then plug in your USB drive, open Time Machine preferences and put a smile on your face.

Thanks to Apple's engineers for this one. It brings Time Machine goodness to my USB 1 only 12" PowerBook!

Has anyone tried to restore with time machine from the airdisk yet? That was the original problem with the developer seeds, that and the airdisk attachment was shaky.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    These recent updates, plus the AEBS firmware update, still do not fix my problem with my Mac Pro and the AEBS.

If I run the Airport Utility to administer it sees the AEBS immediately but if I double-click on the AEBS to see details I just get the spinning wheel while it endlessly tells me "Reading the Airport Extreme configuration........"

Replaced the high end ATI x1900XT card in my Mac Pro two days ago with the low end default nVidia card because I had too many lines on the screen and total system panic crashes since Leopard came out.

If I have my iPod (5G) connected to the Mac Pro and restart the Mac hangs on bootup.

Disappointing....

Steve
  • Reply 20 of 26
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member