Apple posts combo update for AirPort, Time Machine

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Ha typical....just took my AEBS back and got a refund.

I was using it more for the USB disk than the Time Machine function but the read/write speeds were truly dreadful for using it when streaming to my Xbox Media Centre.

Can anyone confirm that the transfer rates to the disk itself have improved?

Thanks,

S
  • Reply 22 of 26
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflie View Post

The folks over at Macrumors forums are saying that they now can use Time Machine sans hacks with their Airport Extremes. They posted screenshots and all seems to be well. To be honest, I'm surprised they addressed the issue considering that they could be losing sales on Time Capsule. But hey, maybe Apple realized that keeping their loyal customers happy is more important than selling a couple more TCs.

I don't think the will lose many TimeCapsule sales. For those of use that have AEBS, I don't think too many were likely to run out and but another base station to get TimeMachine support. This update will buy a lot of good will for those customers. For those without an AEBS and are planning to buy one, then they now have a real option. If you have a large cap USB2 drive, buy a AEBS. If you don't have a free drive, then TimeCapsule is a great value. Win-Win for Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    I'd tried all the hacks, and this is definitely faster now. Kinda cool. I'll try restoring tomorrow after backing up today.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    trboydentrboyden Posts: 165member
    I saw the update pop-up on my MacBook last night but didn't have a chance to install it. I hopes it fixes the wireless issues I continue to have with my MacBook. Every 5 minutes my wireless network connection will drop out and I have to shut off the wireless card and turn it back on to get the connection back. None of my other wireless notebooks have any issues, so I know it's not my router. It also wasn't a problem until I upgraded to Leopard. I got so tired of it I went and bought a network cable crimper and some connectors and made up a cable so I could work without interuption. I love my Mac, but I bought it so I didn't have to be an IT person at home as well as work, but so far Leopard is disappointing me.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    Well, I had a sort of similar issue - so maybe this solution will help. I've got a bunch of Macs on the wireless network - it was set on the AEBS as 802.11n with b/g compatibility, WPA2 Personal. There's three other wireless networks (the neighbours) in the same range, and iStumbler usually shows interference.

After the 7.3.1 firmware two of the machine refused to connect at all - both with 802.11n chips. All the ones connecting with 802.11g worked fine. I tried *everything* I could think of and that Google threw up.

What worked was changing the setting to "802.11n with 802.11a compatibility" - at that point everything connected, the network seems much faster for bulk data copies between machines and there's no local interference. All the Intel macs (the 802.11g and n ones) work with 802.11a (a is like g, but lives at 5 GHz rather than 2.6 GHz).

The Powerbook will live on a cable for now, until I can be arsed to dig up my old Belkin and make a b/g network for it to connect to.

So, in summary - 7.3.1. broke stuff for me, but 802.11a compat mode seems to be much better.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

I saw the update pop-up on my MacBook last night but didn't have a chance to install it. I hopes it fixes the wireless issues I continue to have with my MacBook. Every 5 minutes my wireless network connection will drop out and I have to shut off the wireless card and turn it back on to get the connection back. None of my other wireless notebooks have any issues, so I know it's not my router. It also wasn't a problem until I upgraded to Leopard. I got so tired of it I went and bought a network cable crimper and some connectors and made up a cable so I could work without interuption. I love my Mac, but I bought it so I didn't have to be an IT person at home as well as work, but so far Leopard is disappointing me.

Just to say, if your MacBook is n-capable and none of the other computers are, it sounds like the same problem I had.

Assuming the others aren't all PPC that solution might work. It's not as good as the AEBS working as advertised, mind...

Cheers,

Martin.