Apple researching autostereoscopic 3-D display hardware

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fARGINaPPLES View Post

Ok, ok, calm down! What you're imagining and what is realistic are two completely separate things. Let me start by saying that just because Apple is working on it, doesn't mean it's going to be any good. I worked in a virtual reality lab as a research assistant, and we exhausted the term "Presence". In a nutshell, presence is the spectator's rating of how close to real something is. For example, iChat is a really good product because it allows me to video chat with my neice who lives 3,000 miles away from me. Yet, there is no doubt in my mind that she is still 3,000 miles away.

Holographics and synthesized 3-dimensional images are still very early in their respective development, that a spectator would hardly feel the presence required to make their experience a "genuinely realistic" one. Let's put aside the novelty of the idea that this technology might occur. Instead, think about how practical this technology would be from a normal user position. How many of you would greatly benefit from having a holographic representation of what you see on your computer screen? You can't touch it, you can't move it around without some type of plugged in device. You can't really do anything that you wouldn't already be able to do with the "magical computer screen" in front of you!

On another note, system resources would become an issue immediately, bogging your system memory down to the point that you could only run one program at a time, and not very efficiently.

So, I don't mean to be the guy who brings the room down, but just because Apple is doing it doesn't mean it's gonna be perfect. Furthermore, just because Apple is doing it, it doesn't mean that you have to immediately go out and buy it as soon as it hits the shelves. I honestly feel that this is going to take a lot of development, and tons of R & D, and still will flop. Oh, and did i mention that it's going to be expensive as h3ll?

Thanks for your time!

Yeah but umm......this isn't the company you worked for......this is Apple. Your company couldn't make it work and/or couldn't make a viable product out of the tech. But when Apple approaches a problem they work on it.....til it works.

We might not see Apple debuting something using this tech in a product tommorow. But I have a feeling it might be sooner than you think.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I could see this becoming an Apple 3D movie system... bring on the 3D RED cameras!
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Yeah but umm......this isn't the company you worked for......this is Apple. Your company couldn't make it work and/or couldn't make a viable product out of the tech.

wow! haha! calm down. I never said that my research team could or couldn't make it work. Olternaut, I think you're missing the point here. I'm not suggesting that it's impossible or that it will be a long time coming. To put it simply, I'm saying that the tech that Apple is working on is something that will cost a lot of money for lay-people end-users like you and me, and that it won't be as much of an innovative break-through as what you might think.

Furthermore, Olternaut, you made these claims with no support. All you said was that Apple can do it. Am i going to have to pull out my freshman level philosophy book and explain rhetoric and fallacy to you? What i want to see is some research that shows that this product will be feasible for consumers, and that it won't cause me to take out a second mortgage to own it.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Apple, as I share the same sentiment, but we are all entitled to our opinions in this forum, and I think you shouldn't flame someone until you know the whole story about them. At least give me an opportunity to be an idiot before you call me one.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Wonderful. Everyone's waiting for new displays, but Apple wants to build a holodeck.

Don't those clowns realize how much trouble that thing can cause? Moriarty will kill us all.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    This isn't anything new. Many companies have been offering these displays even in laptops at CES for several years now.

It's just that most of them don't follow through by offering it "built into the OS". If anyone can make this technology stick it's Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    I'd be happy with a new 2D display.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I've done work with holography, so a few years ago, Mercedes Benz, a client of mine, asked me to build a display that would be one of their cars, complete. They wanted it to be an outside view, but when you walked through the side, you would see the insides.

I told them to come back to me in 2020.

Hmmm! That may have been early.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

wow! haha! calm down. I never said that my research team could or couldn't make it work. Olternaut, I think you're missing the point here. I'm not suggesting that it's impossible or that it will be a long time coming. To put it simply, I'm saying that the tech that Apple is working on is something that will cost a lot of money for lay-people end-users like you and me, and that it won't be as much of an innovative break-through as what you might think.

Furthermore, Olternaut, you made these claims with no support. All you said was that Apple can do it. Am i going to have to pull out my freshman level philosophy book and explain rhetoric and fallacy to you? What i want to see is some research that shows that this product will be feasible for consumers, and that it won't cause me to take out a second mortgage to own it.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Apple, as I share the same sentiment, but we are all entitled to our opinions in this forum, and I think you shouldn't flame someone until you know the whole story about them. At least give me an opportunity to be an idiot before you call me one.

Who said you were being flamed?

Can't a guy have a strong opinion without being accused of being a flamer? Its not like I insulted you or something.

And I just re-read your post. You can't just casually say stuff like I called you an idiot when I clearly didn't say so. And thats even if you said that in jest.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've done work with holography, so a few years ago, Mercedes Benz, a client of mine, asked me to build a display that would be one of their cars, complete. They wanted it to be an outside view, but when you walked through the side, you would see the insides.

The holodeck will still make whatever people are working on....even Apple's project look like crap. But one thing I've learned about apple is that they should not be underestimated....ever.

So lets see what this thing of theirs turns out to be. Maybe we will get a peak at it at MacWorld 2009.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

The holodeck will still make whatever people are working on....even Apple's project look like crap. But one thing I've learned about apple is that they should not be underestimated....ever.

So lets see what this thing of theirs turns out to be. Maybe we will get a peak at it at MacWorld 2009.

I'm sorry to have to say it, but the Holodeck is one of those things that's not likely to ever work. I wish it could be done, but it can't.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Each new patent filing just excites me with the greatest joy. I love to pore over these stories and imagine what could be. Probably not a common reaction, (We have inventors in the family) but I get a real kick out of watching Apple.

In this haunting, dire time we live in!

I am grateful for a company that sends up new fireworks for us all to ooh and ahhh over. Some are duds, some are those 5-in-1 splendors.

Who else is doing anything like this nowadays?

Every critique has an effect on Apple. Do they study everything?

There was a guy in here who wanted to track his podcasts automatically so he could get the next lesson for his foreign language study. 2 days later Apple had some code ready and filed a patent.

3D image screens. Even with that inventor DNA in me, I am puzzling over how this one would work. Wow.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Quote:

Let me start by saying that just because Apple is working on it, doesn't mean it's going to be any good. I worked in a virtual reality lab as a research assistant, and we exhausted the term "Presence".

Quote:

So, I don't mean to be the guy who brings the room down, but just because Apple is doing it doesn't mean it's gonna be perfect. Furthermore, just because Apple is doing it, it doesn't mean that you have to immediately go out and buy it as soon as it hits the shelves. I honestly feel that this is going to take a lot of development, and tons of R & D, and still will flop.

Duhh, yeah, it's well known that all VR (Virtual reality) attempts have ended in way over budget disaster. Same can be said for the quest for AI. That's obvious. It's been difficult to even get funding for either due to the legendary failures in both.

If Apple is taking it on it will be in a sensible stepwise and coherent way, No?
  • Reply 33 of 43
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

So, I don't mean to be the guy who brings the room down, but just because Apple is doing it doesn't mean it's gonna be perfect.

You're right, of course.

Quote:

Furthermore, just because Apple is doing it, it doesn't mean that you have to immediately go out and buy it as soon as it hits the shelves.

You're wrong, of course.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Ok I only read like 70% of the article, so perhaps I missed some vital detail. But I still don't understand how this will work on multiple persons at once. It sounds like it's stereoscopic*100 or something to cover all angles. Hm...
  • Reply 35 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

This brings to light another issue that would make me hesitate to follow the sheep. If we're basically watching a movie, then how is this innovative? So, it sounds like two movies of the same thing from slightly different views playing simultaneously, and over-laid. First things first, don't try to trick my eye with smoke and mirrors. If Apple is going to create the "illusion" of 3-D, then i don't want it. I want the real 3-D experience!

What's innovative is that it apparently allows the 3D experience with a single projector and screen as seen by multiple viewers.

If you want the 'REAL 3D experience' instead of illusions, perhaps you should turn your TV off and go out into the real world. Even if we reach the technology level of the Holodeck, it's still illusion. Only the real world is real.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Each new patent filing just excites me with the greatest joy. I love to pore over these stories and imagine what could be. Probably not a common reaction, (We have inventors in the family) but I get a real kick out of watching Apple.

In this haunting, dire time we live in!

I am grateful for a company that sends up new fireworks for us all to ooh and ahhh over. Some are duds, some are those 5-in-1 splendors.

Who else is doing anything like this nowadays?

Every critique has an effect on Apple. Do they study everything?

There was a guy in here who wanted to track his podcasts automatically so he could get the next lesson for his foreign language study. 2 days later Apple had some code ready and filed a patent.

3D image screens. Even with that inventor DNA in me, I am puzzling over how this one would work. Wow.

I wonder...does anyone think that anyone important over at Apple actually studies these forums? Do they even care?

Do some of our sometimes crazy opinions and theories really effect Apple in any way?
  • Reply 37 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I wonder...does anyone think that anyone important over at Apple actually studies these forums? Do they even care?

Do some of our sometimes crazy opinions and theories really effect Apple in any way?

I could see them reading Crazy Apple Rumors every day, but now that they're gone, what's the point?
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Apple's attempts to address crappy stereoscopic viewing angles are interesting, but, holographic displays already do that, and stereo graphics will never be able to address ocular accommodation. In other words, you can't shift your focus between the foreground and background of an image. If you had to look at a stereo graphic display all day long you would likely have a splitting headache.

Volumetric displays are the only real solution to this problem...

http://www.actuality-medical.com/indexAS.html

http://www.eventdesignmag.com/viewmedia.asp?prmMID=257

...but they require space. :shrug:
  • Reply 39 of 43
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You could do it with wide FOV HMD...of course it's somewhat bulky and not all that elegant.

It is actually already used by car companies though for design reviews.

An alternative is a hand held tablet (say as light as an air) that allows you to view an invisible car through it in 3D space based on "head tracking" tied to the tablet.

Many ways to skin the cat...but for holodeck...yes, 2020 is a bit soon.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

You could do it with wide FOV HMD...of course it's somewhat bulky and not all that elegant.

It is actually already used by car companies though for design reviews.

An alternative is a hand held tablet (say as light as an air) that allows you to view an invisible car through it in 3D space based on "head tracking" tied to the tablet.

Many ways to skin the cat...but for holodeck...yes, 2020 is a bit soon.

Their idea was a bit extreme. They wanted this to look solid, as though the car was sitting in front of you. Same thing when you "entered".