Apple pushing Safari downloads on Windows users

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Saw this yesterday. While I can't blame them for trying to leverage their trojan horse, I don't like this kind of sneaky install at all. It does tell you what it's going to do, but for most users, a little more explanation is necessary for them to know what is happening.

I am torn on this. MS, AOL/AIM, and many other developers have tried to push out other apps or plugins with their installers. But does it make it right? I'd be pretty annoyed if this was the norm on OS X, but since it's not I really don't care.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nacnud View Post

Just trying it out, seems nice but there are two things keeping me on firefox.

- I like having more screen space so I have moved the menu bar and tool bar onto one line

- I hate ads a windows safari adblock would be good

I do like that I can put everything on one line, including my bookmarks. I prefer blanking out the name and using just the icon for quick access to a site. This allows me to have only one line for my address bar, Google search, buttons and 15 bookmark icons.

Firefox for Wndows uses Favicons in the Bookmark bar. Firefox on OS X doesn't allow for icons, presumably to mimic Safari. Unfortunately, using Foxmarks to save these bookmarks results in a bunch of "invisible" bookmarks in Firefox on OS X when synced. I see no way around this and it makes using the cross-platform plugins pointless for me.
  • Reply 42 of 114
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

OH the DRAMA! A virus, hahahaha.

Whatever.

If MS did something like this, all of you Jobs knob-gobblers would going apeshit.

• Reply 43 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SFC @rcher View Post

I love my iPhone, I love my iPod! I have adapted to and accept iTunes as my media player because of my two gadgets. But I will be damned if I will be forced to use Safari Browser on my Windows PC!!! This is just as bad as windows forcing me to use IE on various applications. I have been and will always use Firefox untill the day it shuts down.

I gurantee promise that if iTunes is required to have Safari to work then it will ALLLLLL be removed off of my machince. I will always use my PC and nothing will make me change. Every OS has its ups and downs...even a Mac. I will continue to use my Apple Gadgets but if Apple forces me to change then I and soooo many others will be GONE! Remember Apple, there are still more PC users out there that own media players then there are Mac users and if you make a mistake in forcing dedicated PC users to use your browser, then they will be gone.

What a really sad day...I really was starting to believe that Apple was "different"\

Don't bang the door on the way out ...

Just kidding ... no one is forcing anything ... it is an option for those willing to try as you have with other Apple products. Once tried, most love them.
  • Reply 44 of 114
    ...and that is why I stated "if they make it an iTunes requirement to have Safari"

Again, I have nothing against Apple and love "SOME" of their products, but I also love my PC and I don't care what anyone says about it on a Apple website, because they are saying much worse things about apple on microsoft forums...its a never ending battle. I love both worlds and have adapted to such, but if Apple starts forcing me to use something to use something else, then I am gone and I gurantee you, the door won't hit me, cause it will be off the hinges laying on the floor in my dust
  • Reply 45 of 114
    Quote:

...and that is why I stated "if they make it an iTunes requirement to have Safari"

Again, I have nothing against Apple and love "SOME" of their products, but I also love my PC and I don't care what anyone says about it on a Apple website, because they are saying much worse things about apple on microsoft forums...its a never ending battle. I love both worlds and have adapted to such, but if Apple starts forcing me to use something to use something else, then I am gone and I gurantee you, the door won't hit me, cause it will be off the hinges laying on the floor in my dust

Well I admire your convictions lol and I am no bigot, I use Vista on my 8 Core Mac Pro and XP Pro too all with Mac OS X at the same time with full drag and drop and copy paste, even all have their own IP ... cake and eat it and Fed Ex just delivered my NVideo GeForce 8800 woot!
  • Reply 46 of 114
    Quote:

There is nothing to indicate that will ever happen. While iTunes uses WebKit for the iTS, there is no need for Safari. Quicktime is another matter and components are definitely required for iTunes to function.

I do fault Apple for making me manually remove the QT shortcut from the Desktop, Start » Programs, the Task Bar and removing the auto-run syntax from the Registry each and every time there is an update to QT. This is much more viral than adding an option to DL their browser.
  • Reply 47 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is nothing to indicate that will ever happen. While iTunes uses WebKit for the iTS, there is no need for Safari. Quicktime is another matter and components are definitely required for iTunes to function.

I do fault Apple for making me manually remove the QT shortcut from the Desktop, Start » Programs, the Task Bar and removing the auto-run syntax from the Registry each and every time there is an update to QT. This is much more viral than adding an option to DL their browser.

You might give CCleaner a try...it automatically removes the "auto-run syntax" from my computer. I still have QT on my PC but with the auto run removed my Apple update software will only work manually for all updates this allows me to be in charge of what happens on my machine. The Safari option will be removed also so that it is not a concern for me right now.
  • Reply 48 of 114
    Quote:

You might give CCleaner a try...it automatically removes the "auto-run syntax" from my computer.

Thanks, but it's just some of the anal-retentive things I do to clean up friends and family's PCs. I hate the clutter of Windows. i don't even like the excessive, unused progreams listed in the Start Menu.

PS: As the "resident computer guy" for my friends and family (like many of you on this board) I have stipulated that will assist with no more computer issues if you next machine is not a Mac. Perhaps a little harsh, but I have better things to do with my time than clean out viruses and restore a clunky OS to a usable speed.
  • Reply 49 of 114
    Quote:

Thanks, but it's just some of the anal-retentive things I do to clean up friends and family's PCs. I hate the clutter of Windows. i don't even like the excessive, unused progreams listed in the Start Menu.

PS: As the "resident computer guy" for my friends and family (like many of you on this board) I have stipulated that will assist with no more computer issues if you next machine is not a Mac. Perhaps a little harsh, but I have better things to do with my time than clean out viruses and restore a clunky OS to a usable speed.

Ha ha ... funny you say that, after the last few PCs I had to clean up and the 237 updates and restarts later, I issued the same decree NO MORE PCs! ... and it is amazing how many said they were more than likely switching very soon ...
  • Reply 50 of 114
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's an optional download chill guys. Mac > PC by the way
  • Reply 51 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's an optional download chill guys. Mac > PC by the way

What does Mac > PC mean? You don't mean you are 'the guy' that switched the other way are you?
  • Reply 52 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What does Mac > PC mean? You don't mean you are 'the guy' that switched the other way are you?

I think he is saying that Mac is greater (read: better) than PC (read: Windows).
  • Reply 53 of 114
    Quote:

I think he is saying that Mac is greater (read: better) than PC (read: Windows).

Oh ...ok thought we had a rare bird here for a minute
  • Reply 54 of 114
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh ...ok thought we had a rare bird here for a minute

You don't know what ">" means?
  • Reply 55 of 114
    Quote:

Internet posters often use the greater than symbol as an arrow to denote moving from one thing to another.

Start > Programs > Accessories > Paint
  • Reply 56 of 114
    Quote:

I read it as a simple sign as in towards (as in the pub is this way) not a math symbol (given your handle) ... but thanks for the link I now know ... from the link page

"Idiotic online slang to represents something is greater than something.."

• Reply 57 of 114
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    this > that

this is greater than that

most I've seen wanting arrows do like...

this -> that
  • Reply 58 of 114
    God, that Windows window is fugly. So, 1995. Poor bastards.
  • Reply 59 of 114
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bassoon View Post

Just offered to load this afternoon - in France. Said "Nice trick !" and decided to download just to check on my PC for my blog and multi-platform tests for my blog. Smooth install, and all my URLs in FIREFOX were present and fully functional. Meanwhile I'll stay with FF on my MAC and PC.http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...ies/1smile.gif

I'm in Paris at the moment. Where is the Apple store? I thought for sure this time you guys would have one.

Not sure why you would run FF on a Mac. My wife used FF until Safari 3 came out. She could care less about anything on a computer so for her to swap to Safari, means something must be right.
  • Reply 60 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I'm in Paris at the moment. Where is the Apple store? I thought for sure this time you guys would have one.

Suprisingly, the offical Apple Store in Paris that was rumoured to be built in 2007 never happened.
    This seems to be an authorized Apple reseller.