I guess its a bad time to get a Macbook & Iphone??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been intending to buy a macbook and iphone at the end of this month but with the immenant product changes I guess I should wait until June?? What do you advise? I guess its just bad timing on my part.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    anthemanthem Posts: 47member
    as i have heard many times before I bought a mac... If ya need it but it. Even if you wait til june another apple product refresh is always right around the corner. The speeds are already great on all mac lines right now so you wont be dissapointed. as for iphones i just got mine and it is wonderful. even if they released a 3g version of the phone Im not picking one up till they release a 30gig or higher one. so u cant go wrong if ya picked one up also. its just up to u
  • Reply 2 of 16
    The macbooks were JUST "refreshed"... and the iPhone 2.0 software update is expected to be free to existing iPhones anyway ... (i doubt you'll see G3 before end of the year)... so why not buy now??
  • Reply 3 of 16
    rq42rq42 Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The macbooks were JUST "refreshed"... and the iPhone 2.0 software update is expected to be free to existing iPhones anyway ... (i doubt you'll see G3 before end of the year)... so why not buy now??

hhhmmmm you've got a point there. I guess I'm safe with the macbook, you're right, they updated the notebooks to the new processors first.... its just all this talk about a aluminium finish macbook in june.... however I spoke to a apple rep at the apple store here in london and he said he doesnt see apple ever making the macbook aluminium.... so i dont know who to believe anymore!!

with the iphone.... i didnt realise it'll be such a long wait for the 3g version. now that ive been debating it with myself.... whats the most 3g will bring me? im going to use the internet a lot less than the other features. and if what you're saying about the iphone 2 update for existing customers being free then i guess i wont miss out on anything.... like the rumoured horizontal typing etc.

so you really think the macbook is safe from any further changes this year?!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rq42 View Post

hhhmmmm you've got a point there. I guess I'm safe with the macbook, you're right, they updated the notebooks to the new processors first.... its just all this talk about a aluminium finish macbook in june.... however I spoke to a apple rep at the apple store here in london and he said he doesnt see apple ever making the macbook aluminium.... so i dont know who to believe anymore!!

It has been mentioned a billion times on this forum and others, but don't take a store employees position on future products to be of any value at all. In simple terms they have no idea at all as to what Apple is up to with future products. As to an Aluminum MacBook I really have no idea myself what the future holds for them. What I would suggest though is doing what I did, which is to go out and buy the low end MacBook Pro. For a few dollars more you get a lot more features and a far better case.

Quote:

with the iphone.... i didnt realise it'll be such a long wait for the 3g version. now that ive been debating it with myself.... whats the most 3g will bring me?

Well at least you are being reasonable in asking the question. 3G does offer features beyond EDGE but are they of value to you?

Quote:

im going to use the internet a lot less than the other features.

You say that now but the common experience with the iPhone seems to stack the odds against that. That is people find the internet experience very useful and compelling on iPhone. At least the usage numbers seems to indicate that.

Quote:

and if what you're saying about the iphone 2 update for existing customers being free then i guess i wont miss out on anything.... like the rumoured horizontal typing etc.

You wouldn't mis out if you where willing to pay also. Apple approach to iPhone is a bit different than many manufactures in that they seem to want to update and maintain a useful product for much longer than the average cell phone manufacture.

Quote:

NO!!! NO!!! Did you get that NO!

Expect updates or changes every 6 to 9 months. Also realize that Intel hopes to have a very compelling chip set available for laptops by the end of the year.

In any event base your purchase on needs at the moment. If you don't need it don't buy.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rq42 View Post

It will be updated at leas once more this year.

Look, if you need a new computer, buy a new computer. Don't worry about it.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    It's a great time to buy a MacBook and an average time to buy an iPhone. Go for it!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

It's a great time to buy a MacBook and an average time to buy an iPhone. Go for it!

I appreciate the encouragement guys, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of buying both now.... but whats this intel montevia update to the macbook i just read about then? apparently going to happen in may to coincide with the "education purchases" season
  • Reply 8 of 16
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    The MacBook will be in aluminium and thats a 100% because of Apple want to go green

By the way, if im betting the aluminium MacBook is coming in MacWorld 09, why? Cause If I recall, Jobs mention about bringing all their product line to aluminium by this year, and wont it be great if they announce they completed their project with the launch of aluminium MacBook?

If 3G is your thing (if youre area doesn have big Wi-Fi coverage), then waiting for iPhone is worth it.

June will be new Montevina and next year will be Nehalem so it depends until when you will need it most, there is no way for you to be able to get the latest and hoping it will be the latest for more then 1 year (usually around 6 months).

Intel is really killing AMD.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

The MacBook will be in aluminium and thats a 100% because of Apple want to go green

By the way, if im betting the aluminium MacBook is coming in MacWorld 09, why? Cause If I recall, Jobs mention about bringing all their product line to aluminium by this year, and wont it be great if they announce they completed their project with the launch of aluminium MacBook?

If 3G is your thing (if youre area doesn have big Wi-Fi coverage), then waiting for iPhone is worth it.

June will be new Montevina and next year will be Nehalem so it depends until when you will need it most, there is no way for you to be able to get the latest and hoping it will be the latest for more then 1 year (usually around 6 months).

Intel is really killing AMD.

I can wait until June for a aluminium macbook and the iphone 2 thats no problem.... just when I started this thread I was in two minds as to what I should do.... and to be honest, if the macbook is gonna have montevina architecture in less than 4 months then the longer battery life and all the other benefits far outway the aluminium look.... so i think i'll wait a bit.... but again, what you're saying is a rumour, who knows if this is even gonna happen! a previous post said the macbook has JUST been updated which is true so im not gonna wait til 2009 for a laptop thats for sure.... i'll have to decide what to do sooner or later but thanks to everyone for their opinions so far! cheers!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Well Im sure Apple must change to Montevina ASAP cause Intel is pushing companies like Apple, Dell, HP and etc to change to their new processors as soon as Intel release new processors or chipset. Its not an option.

I say the aluminium macbook is most likely to appear in 09.

I cant decide which is better, a Montevina MB or a SantaRosa MBP. I do webpage designing (photoshop and etc), website programming (php, javascript), programming (C++ on Windows), 3D Design (SolidWorks on Windows) and college stuffs. Take note that Im going to run those windows programs (Visual C++ and SolidWorks) in VMWare Fusion.

My college starts in May so mostlikely Im going to wait for Montevina which is around June or I can get a discounted (stock clearance) SantaRosa MBP.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Macbook go for it.

As for the iPhone I would wait. I think they will update it in June for the first anniversary. Not sure if 3G is certain, but I think we might see some other improvements and maybe a larger storage.

Plus, June is coming sooner than later.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Well if you think if the MacBook right now is fast and you dont want it faster then now would be good time but if you want a faster MacBook then you should wait untill June as for the iPhone wait untill June also because 3G is fast and they could add cool new features in iPhone OS 2.0
  • Reply 13 of 16
    tomahawktomahawk Posts: 178member
    If you need a laptop now then buy one now. If you don't need one yet then wait! Same thing for the phone.

They are just like anything else electronic, the longer you can wait the better it is going to be and the more you are going to get for the same money.

My personal policy was to always wait until the processor speed doubled. The wait from my 1GHz PowerBook to my MacBook Pro was a killer but I got a great machine. I might break that rule in this next round and will probably be in the market for a replacement sometime late this year or early next.

Base your purchase on what you need and when, not on that one more thing that might be around the corner...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBookAir77 View Post

Well if you think if the MacBook right now is fast and you dont want it faster then now would be good time but if you want a faster MacBook then you should wait untill June as for the iPhone wait untill June also because 3G is fast and they could add cool new features in iPhone OS 2.0

Er, the cool new features in 2.0 will also be there for existing iPhones, and you're losing out on having an iPhone in the mean time.

I've got the 8 GB iPhone, and before buying I thought lack of 3G would be a big thing (I have a 3G modem for my MBP which I rely on). In practice, 3G on the iPhone isn't going to be compelling enough for me to upgrade - it's just not slow enough on EDGE/GPRS to irritate, the plan at the moment is to wait 2-3 years before replacing it. Of course there might be some future killer app which needs a newer model, so I'll keep my options open.

Just my 2p - I wouldn't wait until June for an iPhone. However I have poor impulse control in the face of Teh Shiny (tm), so YMMV.

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

My personal policy was to always wait until the processor speed doubled. The wait from my 1GHz PowerBook to my MacBook Pro was a killer but I got a great machine. I might break that rule in this next round and will probably be in the market for a replacement sometime late this year or early next.

Base your purchase on what you need and when, not on that one more thing that might be around the corner...

Same here, my computers went:

33 MHz 486 PC (Windows 3.1 / DOS)

266 Mhz P2 PC (Windows 95)

550 MHz SPARC SunBlade (Solaris 8)

1.8 Ghz AMD PC (Windows XP)

1.8 GHz PPC G5 iMac (Panther)

2.0 GHz dual core MBP (Tiger)

2.4 GHz C2D iMac (Leopard)

Since getting the G5 for video as my AMD box couldn't render out with out crashing, I've got rid of everything non-Apple and hugely simplified my life.

Went off on one a bit there...

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

If you need a laptop now then buy one now. If you don't need one yet then wait! Same thing for the phone.

Exactly!!! I hope the original poster homes in on what is a key to surviving the electronics industry. Put simply buy when you need something not when they tell you you need it.

Quote:

They are just like anything else electronic, the longer you can wait the better it is going to be and the more you are going to get for the same money.

Aint that the truth. 30 some odd years ago when I was in high school we got a trip to a local research arm f a university. They were extremely proud of and gushed while showing off their new PRIME computer. That big box would likely be a museum piece now. Further for the money they paid for it you could have a BeoWulf cluster of high performance PC's.

Quote:

I'd like to qualify that and simply say that it isn't processor speed but performance that needs to double. Unfortunately there are many things that impact performance and getting a solid measure on things isn't always easy. For example for many users going to Core 2 Duo did give them much better performance even if the single core performance didn't scale well.

The big problem with the doubling of CPU speed is that it will be difficult for the manufactures to hit 4 GHZ anytime soon. However 4 cores are in sight which could be a huge win for some uses.

Quote:

Yep! For the most part that is wise. The only thing different in my mind is the first month or so of the year. Here you need to take into account MWSF and all the updates that come out then. Buying in December might make sense for a business, for tax reasons, but seldom makes sense for an individual.

Dave