Gartner's change of heart over iPhone in the enterprise

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Market research firm Gartner, which had previously shunned Apple Inc.'s iPhone as a consumer-oriented tablet device not fit for the enterprise, has changed its stance.

Analysts for the firm were among those who expressed concern over some security issues immediately following its release, but in a statement this week said a more enterprise-friendly version of the handset's firmware and other planned security enhancements warrants an updated recommendation.

Following the release of those improvements as part of iPhone software v2.0 this June, Gartner said it will endorse the handset under “appliance-level” support status, which permits the device to be used for PIM, e-mail, telephony and browsing applications. It would also deem the device fit to be used for other dedicated functions where the software is supplied by a third party, functionality is kept to a restricted set, the software supplier offers support for a backup platform, and IT development resources are not needed to program custom code locally residing on the device.

“In its initial release, the iPhone was, with few exceptions, an Internet tablet with browser-based applications as its main offering, however, the release of firmware 2.0 changes that, enabling enterprises to develop local code and create applications that do not depend on network capabilities,” said Gartner analyst and vice president Ken Dulaney. “The iPhone will thus match up initially in several segments against its main smartphone competitors — BlackBerry, Windows Mobile and Symbian Series 60.”

Earlier this month Apple announced an iPhone Software Developers Kit (SDK) that will allow third-parties to develop proprietary applications for v2.0 of the iPhone software. The Cupertino-based firm also said that it had licensed Microsoft's ActiveSync protocol suite, and was adding support for Cisco IPSEC and WPA2 security for Wi-Fi connections.

“By licensing Exchange ActiveSync and exposing its basic security policies, enterprises can provide sufficient security for iPhone during Exchange personal information manager (PIM) and e-mail use,” Dulaney said. “This will open up a huge market for the iPhone, which previously had been stymied by a lack of basic business security and application functionality. However, Apple must widen distribution and of course deliver what they have promised.”

iPhones trickling into the enterprise would also likely have a residual affect on Apple's brand awareness amongst corporate employees, which could spur additive sales, according to Gartner. But at the same time, the firm said this will push enterprises to invest in technologies with which they are unfamiliar and that require training and further investment.

“Management of the iPhone outside the Exchange e-mail/PIM application will require familiarity with new products such as Apple’s iPhone Configuration Utility," Dulaney said. "And enterprises should thoroughly review the platform’s management and security options to understand how they can control any consumer elements of the platform that may pose a risk."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    WOOT first post (why are so many people excited about this?)

On to business -- maybe I'm confused, I thought that apple had one of the best secruity records around. I know, I know they're a small target, and aren't hit with the full fury of the window's ghetto, but still its more a listing of their responsiveness to percieved threats -- rarely more than a 30 day response time, and often within 7 for genuine threats.

That all being said, why are the analysts so sure about the iPhone either way. If I recally correctly, the bad security accusations were coming out before the iPhone -- making it a blind guess. Now its all good, months before the application is upgraded. If I recally correctly, security holes are subtle things, aka if it was obvious, the programmers would have patched them. How does an analyst know whether they're there? Do they have the best hackers in the world?

if they do, are they plotting something?

what are they plotting?

I'm getting out the tinfoil hat.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    ? it'd be great if the remote erase idea would be introduced on the Macbooks & Macbook pros.

And the new iPhone OS touch could be a new foundation to build the new almighty mouse upon. Boo to the current Mighty Mouse, die mouse die!!! ngngnghh

Almost nothing to do with this tread, but just first thoughts.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    I for one would love to have the new Apple keyboard with a Air touch pad. Just please split the click bar.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    [QUOTE]what are they plotting?

I'm getting out the tinfoil hat./QUOTE]

I think there is something funny in the apple coolaide today. I am going for seconds.

[QUOTE]And the new iPhone OS touch could be a new foundation to build the new almighty mouse upon. Boo to the current Mighty Mouse, die mouse die!!! ngngnghhQUOTE]

Amen brother. One day I got so irritated with my mighty mouse that I chucked it out the window into the backyard. It must have been a funny sight because my neighboors still talk about it.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

On to business -- maybe I'm confused, I thought that apple had one of the best secruity records around. I know, I know they're a small target, and aren't hit with the full fury of the window's ghetto, but still its more a listing of their responsiveness to percieved threats -- rarely more than a 30 day response time, and often within 7 for genuine threats.

That all being said, why are the analysts so sure about the iPhone either way. If I recally correctly, the bad security accusations were coming out before the iPhone -- making it a blind guess. Now its all good, months before the application is upgraded. If I recally correctly, security holes are subtle things, aka if it was obvious, the programmers would have patched them. How does an analyst know whether they're there? Do they have the best hackers in the world?

The remote wipe makes it more secure after its lost or stolen. This is a must for many businesses, even though you can easily put it into Airport Mode to avoid the wipe being recieved

As for security holes there is still a possibility for that. The eariler reports of the iPhone being a target but Macs are not due to marketshare is bogus. There are million more Macs being sold each quarter and even when the iPhone overtakes Mac sales (which it will) there will still be a higher marketshare for Macs do to the smaller number of PCs sold comapred to cel phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

? it'd be great if the remote erase idea would be introduced on the Macbooks & Macbook pros.

And the new iPhone OS touch could be a new foundation to build the new almighty mouse upon. Boo to the current Mighty Mouse, die mouse die!!! ngngnghh

Almost nothing to do with this tread, but just first thoughts.

I don't think this would be too hard to accomplish. There is already a way to track your stolen Mac. Apple could certainly implement something, say through .Mac, that checks to see if it's been reported and that you've requested a data wipe, but any developer could implement this as well.

I hope that I'll be able to remote wipe my iPhone without using Exchange.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

IJust please split the click bar.

If Apple didn't create two button mouse button on their notebook when they were dying and before multi-touch trackpads, they surely won't do it now that they are thriving and the much easier, IMO, tow finger on trackpad to create Option+Click now exists.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Is there a press release, PDF or URL regarding this statement from Gartner? Be great if we can have that to submit to the IT managers of our companies.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Is there a press release, PDF or URL regarding this statement from Gartner? Be great if we can have that to submit to the IT managers of our companies.

• Reply 8 of 40
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

“In its initial release, the iPhone was, with few exceptions, an Internet tablet with browser-based applications as its main offering, however, the release of firmware 2.0 changes that, enabling enterprises to develop local code and create applications that do not depend on network capabilities,” said Gartner analyst and vice president Ken Dulaney.

Obviously this dope didn't pay attention when this device was first released to what Steve and Apple said regarding exactly what it was.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If Apple didn't create two button mouse button on their notebook when they were dying and before multi-touch trackpads, they surely won't do it now that they are thriving and the much easier, IMO, tow finger on trackpad to create Option+Click now exists.

It exists, but I think it's still a less ideal setup, requiring more hand motion, and more importantly, more hand coordination to do the same thing.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It exists, but I think it's still a less ideal setup, requiring more hand motion and more hand coordination to do the same thing.

I don't think it does. My thuumb remains dead center of the button at all times and my pointer finger on the pad with my middle finger barely hovering above it. I have to lower it to get the Option+Click action. With a two button setup, which is sometimes spit in the middle or uses a smaller portion of the width of the bar since it's less often used., To accomplish the same task, I have to physically move my thumb about an inch to the right which requires the movement from my entire arm to some degree. This is a lot more motion than the ~1mm lowering of my middle finger. To each their own, but I much prefer this method.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

Market research firm Gartner, which had previously shunned Apple Inc.'s iPhone as a consumer-oriented tablet device not fit for the enterprise, has changed its stance.

Universal translation = Apple paid us money to endorse it.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    This is great news for the Iphone platform. I am a huge fan of the device and the service in general. I like it most, because it keeps me connected at work, something blackberry could do, but not with my contact. night and day people. The iphone is the dawn of a new day.

-Thunk Different

• Reply 13 of 40
    effect=noun.

affect=verb.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

if they do, are they plotting something?

what are they plotting?

I'm getting out the tinfoil hat.

Most large corporations are big time into security. The iPhone security features and management controls are completely untested, as a mater of fact they do not officially exist until end of June.

A real comparizon between Blackberry security controls and management needs to be made against similar controls and management features in the iPhone. Until that happens corporations will not take the jump.

Right now to them this is all vaporware and untested.

It is just a mater of time.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

effect=noun.

affect=verb.

Though effect can be a verb too :-)
  • Reply 16 of 40
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Get a life! We really don't need your attitude.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

That AND the ability to triangulate its location!!!!!
  • Reply 18 of 40
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Kuwait huh? Why don't you go get yourself an oil enema.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

Kuwait huh? Why don't you go get yourself an oil enema.

Where the hell does that come from?
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Get a life! We really don't need your attitude.

I do think it's a silly accusation, but nobody objected when people say that Microsoft paid for a position paper, whether or not it's actually true.