Apple pushing Safari downloads on Windows users

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

If this is OK with some people, then every software maker out there should include invitations to download other products every time you update their software.

Fine by me provided I intstaled the original software and I have the ability to shut off updates.
  • Reply 82 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

How is it underhanded asking users who already have your software installed if they want to try out more software? It isn't like Apple is installing something without asking the user's permission. Moreover, you can shut off the autmotic software update notice if you want.

I do not know about you guys, but if I enjoy using free software from a company, I want to be told that the same company is making more free software I can try out. Ultimately, I can choose not to try it out.

Because the box is checked by default. I'd wager they are betting most people don't read the update info, they just click through it as fast as possible. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a tool bar or some other app I didn't want because I failed to notice the pre-checked program piggybacking on another app I wanted.

As for turning it off, I want the updates to the software I want, but I don't want the developer to automatically assume I want everything else they produce. I can't turn off that "feature".
  • Reply 83 of 114
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because the box is checked by default. I'd wager they are betting most people don't read the update info, they just click through it as fast as possible. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a tool bar or some other app I didn't want because I failed to notice the pre-checked program piggybacking on another app I wanted.

As for turning it off, I want the updates to the software I want, but I don't want the developer to automatically assume I want everything else they produce. I can't turn off that "feature".

If it is working anything like Software Update on Mac, you just uncheck the software once. It will remain unchecked next time SU comes up.
  • Reply 84 of 114
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I hardly see how Apple is forcefully pushing Windows users to use Safari, or how it is doing, what some people here are suggesting, something secretive. Apple is merely asking Windows users who already have Apple software installed if they want to try out the new Safari. It isn't installing it without the user's permission.

That's the problem we have with some people, they prefer to make too much out of anything. Apple is not installing software on your computer, they are just asking you if you want to try out their software, they are not forcing you to try it. If you don't want it after reading what it is, then you cancel it and move on, what is so hard about that. What does this also have to do with Microsoft, Apple is not perfect, they are a business like the Microsoft of this world, they are not any better than Microsoft, there is nothing wrong with what they are doing but as usual some people would rather make a mountain out of a mole hill.
  • Reply 85 of 114
    As a commenter on Gizmodo points out, if you had QT but not iTunes, the QT updater would auto-check iTunes for you.

Not a big deal, but certainly not something Mac users would accept.
  • Reply 86 of 114
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Solipism is right that most people are not going to notice the check box and will unintentionally download Safari with iTunes.

I agree it is sneaky and invasive. But from a business perspective its smart. Many people will discover Safari who never knew about it or would other wise have never tried it.
  • Reply 87 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Solipism is right that most people are not going to notice the check box and will unintentionally download Safari with iTunes.

I agree it is sneaky and invasive. But from a business perspective its smart. Many people will discover Safari who never knew about it or would other wise have never tried it.

I want to go on record that while I think it is sneaky, I also don't think it's a big deal.
  • Reply 88 of 114
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChadJK View Post

I'd rather Apple dump Safari and just pre-package Camino with Mac OS X.

For that matter, they can dump iWork also and dedicate those development resources towards contributing to the OpenOffice Aqua project.

I'd prefer someone with an intelligent comment actual make one.

Oh yea. Apple should use Gecko over WebKit. Dense.

Oh yea. Apple should make Sun OpenOffice just work over iWorks. Even more dense.

I'll make this one simple: WebKit is being adopted, industry-wide. Gecko is becoming once again marginalized. Having WebKit on it's rear will force Gecko teams to fix it and work harder at it.

iWorks with ODF and OpenXML with an exposed API for 3rd party Add-ons will open up that market.
  • Reply 89 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'll make this one simple: WebKit is being adopted, industry-wide. Gecko is becoming once again marginalized. Having WebKit on it's rear will force Gecko teams to fix it and work harder at it.

We'll see if that's true. I really don't see where Gecko is being marginalized except on handhelds. I'm still seeing 2x-3x Gecko vs Webkit usage on my web sitesites. I've not seen Firefox usage this high before.

The competition is good though. FF is already being significantly improved for 3.0.
  • Reply 90 of 114
    yakkowyakkow Posts: 18member
    I don't have a problem with how Apple is marketing its browser (especially when Microsoft did even more with IE back when Netscape was all the rage), but is this really the right time for Safari to be so prominently pushed prime-time on Windows?

I use Safari on my Mac primarily because I find it to run exceptionally fast and I like its interface and feature set. But occasionally I have to boot up Firefox just because some pages still don't work properly in Safari. Among them: certain elements of Papa John's online ordering system. I do like my pizza, and it's annoying to have to switch browsers just to complete some orders.
  • Reply 91 of 114
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'd prefer someone with an intelligent comment actual make one.

Oh yea. Apple should use Gecko over WebKit. Dense.

Oh yea. Apple should make Sun OpenOffice just work over iWorks. Even more dense.

iWorks with ODF and OpenXML with an exposed API for 3rd party Add-ons will open up that market.

I agree with your thoughts on iWork. That's becoming a fine suite of apps. I think that as Numbers improves that will easily become the preferred productivity suite on the Mac.

I don't about FF(gecko) though. I'm quite impressed with version three for the Mac. It'll give Safari a real run for its money. Actually I like both and can't decide which one I prefer. Competition here is really benefitting users.

Oops I see Jeff said essentially the same thing.
  • Reply 92 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I don't about FF(gecko) though. I'm quite impressed with version three for the Mac. It'll give Safari a real run for its money.

On the desktop, yes; on MIDs, no. MIDs are the fastest growing segment and WebKit is leagues above every other engine for handheld platforms.
  • Reply 93 of 114
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

On the desktop, yes; on MIDs, no. MIDs are the fastest growing segment and WebKit is leagues above every other engine for handheld platforms.

Fair enough.

Lets revisit this topic in six months. I suspect it'll be a little more competitive on MIDS and handhelds than it is now.
  • Reply 94 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Fair enough.

Lets revisit this topic in six months. I suspect it'll be a little more competitive on MIDS and handhelds than it is now.

I know Mozilla is working to get it ported, but all the articles I've read indicate that it's not going smoothly. It appears that Gecko isn't nearly as scalable as WebKit. But, as you say, 6 months for now we'll have plenty more info on this.
  • Reply 95 of 114
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Sure the box is turned on by default. I suspect most computer users aren't as savvy as you and wouldn't know there was a software update feature unless it was turned on by default. It hardly is underhanded if users can fairly easily shut the feature off. In my mind, underhanded implies Apple is doing something secretive. Perhaps I am the minority, but I actually like being told that there is free software available from a company whose software I am already using.

As far as people not reading the update info, perhaps you are right. However, that is their own fault, not Apple's. Those probably are the same people who complain about getting a virus when they open up every attachment that comes their way without verifying the source. No pity from me. What, however, would be the point of Apple betting people will not read the print and unknowingly install the software? Clearly, installing the software isn't enough to get people to use it especially if they do not know it is there.

Apple typically is pretty good about not engaging in unsolicited communications. When you sign up for iTunes, it asks you if you want further communications from the company. Moreover, if you believe news stories, companies are dying to advertise on iTunes and Apple's website. Apple could make big bucks by selling ads, like many other companies do, but it doesn't. I appreciate that.
  • Reply 96 of 114
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Any Windows user who routinely clicks through without looking at what they're doing probably won't have a working computer after a few days, so it's a non-issue.

Not to mention that even if someone does install Safari by mistake, it doesn't hurt anything - they just don't use Safari. Unlike Windows software which routinely deactivates competitive products - and which installs endless security holes that allow someone to take over your system.
  • Reply 97 of 114
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YakkoW View Post

I don't have a problem with how Apple is marketing its browser (especially when Microsoft did even more with IE back when Netscape was all the rage), but is this really the right time for Safari to be so prominently pushed prime-time on Windows?

I use Safari on my Mac primarily because I find it to run exceptionally fast and I like its interface and feature set. But occasionally I have to boot up Firefox just because some pages still don't work properly in Safari. Among them: certain elements of Papa John's online ordering system. I do like my pizza, and it's annoying to have to switch browsers just to complete some orders.

That's the entire point. The more people who Apple can get using Safari, the less often developers will choose to code only for IE.
  • Reply 98 of 114
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Go to Mail > Settings (gmail) > Shortcuts, Off.

It's not really a safari issue as it is google changing the way shortcut keys work, the google team acknowledged the problem. Turning off the nerdy shortcuts fixes this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

The latest version of Safari does not let me write capitals in my Gmail without always jumping to the subject box.

It is pretty annoying as I have to write my messages in Pages and copy paste them to Gmail.

I haven't lost my mind just yet

• Reply 99 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twodales View Post

Pop up blocker is in the preferences section under security, turn it on and the ads are gone. I've been using Safari on my pos windows machine at work and at least I can avoid IE which is the biggest pile of dung that I have ever seen.

And sadly AppleInsider is one of those sites where you REALLY REALLY need a pop up blocker. I dare you to turn off pop-up blocking and browse this site...
  • Reply 100 of 114
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    [QUOTE=inkswamp;1231979]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

WTF are you talking about?

I use Windows and Macs 50/50 and nothing is consistent in Windows so Safari isn't going to stand out in some bizarre way, other than maybe looking better than 90% of the apps you use in Windows. On Windows, the interface is all a massive jumble, nothing even remotely close to the level of consistency you see in OS X applications (which is mostly encouraged in Apple's programming tools like Interface Builder which makes it easy for developers to comply with a standard look.) Safari will come with its own look and interface concepts, exactly like every other Windows app out there.

Of course windows programs are consistent. All window programs have a File, Edit, etc menu.

All window programs can be closed from the X in the upper right corner of the window.

The scroll bar for all window programs are the same.

I agree with the person who said Safari stands out. It does. There is no way a windows user wouldn't recognize Safari non-standard look and behavior.