Eating our words: Apple's Mac mini to rock on

Comments

• Reply 81 of 289
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You can't stack anything on top of it without adversely affecting cooling, so even though it's not very thick, you lose any air rights over it.

Wrong.

You can't stack anything on top of it because of the pressure it would place on the optical drive. There are air vents located both on the back panel (output) and running along the bottom edge (input) of the entire enclosure. There are zero air vents on the top of the mini.
  • Reply 82 of 289
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Why X31000 and not X4500HD which is only 3 months away?

DisplayPort would be great. I think we leave the HDMI for Apple TV.

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR??

Wireless 802.11N?

Super Drive as standard? ( About fxxking time )

X4500 supports HDCP. While I don't expect a BD option in the Mini, I do think that Apple will have updated BR authoring apps for WWDC and new Cinema Displays and new iMacs with DisplayPort. If the iMac is updated by then and the Mini is not then I would think they are holding off for the x4500,

If the cheapest MB doesn't come with a SuperDrive can we really expect the cheapest Mac to come with one too? I'm gonna say no. Everything else seems logical though the MB didn't come with BT 2.1 for some reason.
  • Reply 83 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Wrong.

You can't stack anything on top of it because of the pressure it would place on the optical drive. There are air vents located both on the back panel (output) and running along the bottom edge (input) of the entire enclosure. There are zero air vents on the top of the mini.

I don't dispute the pressure affecting the optical drive, but the lack of air vents on top doesn't exclude it from dispersing heat. We know that heat rises and that the surface does disperse heat.

PS: I perused the latest Mac Mini manual, there is nothing to support what I just wrote.
    • Important: Don’t place anything on top of your Mac mini. Objects placed on top may interfere with the optical drive or the AirPort or Bluetooth ® wireless signal.

• Important: Don’t place anything on top of your Mac mini. Objects placed on top may interfere with the optical drive or the AirPort or Bluetooth ® wireless signal.
  • Reply 84 of 289
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That isn't a bad idea. If they do take and don't add larger components there may be enough room for a power supply. I think the engineering team for this isn't simply putting in a newer CPU.

Considering that Apple could have done that in the first place, and didn't, I don't know why they would now, though I also agree with the idea.

Quote:

...If that long

It happened in the first page, before he even made that comment.\

Quote:

You may quit liking them, but Apple isn't stupid. While the market for PC desktops is lower than it was this time last year, Mac desktops are 50% higher. They are apparently appealing to their target audience.

I have to admit that I don't even understand his comment. He is going to quit liking them because Apple doesn't make another kind of computer? That makes no sense.

Quote:

I didn't say, replace with HDMI, I said replace with DisplayPort. HDMI and DVI are old news. However, APple is currently in the competing camp for UDI, but Samsung and Intel have left and I think the other members will too.

Apple doesn't support HDCP, so they would have to officially do that before HDMI became effective. Many new cards now support this, but I'm not sure if the cards offered by Apple, that support it in their PC versions, do.

The same for using an HDMI adapter. No HDCP, and it may be useless. Though Sony says they won't require HDCP for anther year, at least, I'm not sure if that's entirely true, and it's still needed to play content from cable and satellite in HD.

I no longer see any advantage to UDI or Displayport over HDMI. The 1.3 specs allow equal quality and future expansion.

Quote:

PS: Would you be okay with a comprise? For instance, the slghtly larger footprint of the AppleTV/Time Capsule that is slightly taller than the Mac Mini that allows for an internal power supply, 3.5" HDD, and a non-user-replaceable discrete GPU with 2x dual-link DVI so the case can have an "Apple aesthetic"? I just don't think Apple is going to out in a user-replaceable GPU into that machine.

I think it was odd when Apple released the ATv in a bigger case than the Mini. I expected the cases to match, so they could be stacked.

It would be nice if the new, slightly larger case was a harbinger of things to come, but I'm not so sure that it does mean anything for the Mini.

Apple designed the Mini for a reason.
  • Reply 85 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kirasaw View Post

They need to make a Mini that can handle dual Monitors. I would gladly upgrade from my Blue & White that has a G4 upgrade to a Mini if I could use both monitors. I don't need a Mac Pro and already have 2 22" monitors so an iMac is not what I need either. Why can't they add a second monitor port ? I'd paid an extra hundred for that option.

You're missing the whole point to the Mini. It's a basic, simple machine designed for home, entry level business and educational users.
  • Reply 86 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Current Mac mini has video out: DVI, HDMI (via 3rd party adapter or cable), VGA, S-video (via optional adapter), and composite video (via optional adapter).

No HDCP.

Quote:

Current Mac mini can accommodate two SO-DIMM modules. It is still needlessly tedious to crack it open to install RAM, however.

It takes two minutes to open the case. I've done it several times for people.
  • Reply 87 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Considering that Apple could have done that in the first place, and didn't, I don't know why they would now, though I also agree with the idea.

I think it was odd when Apple released the ATv in a bigger case than the Mini. I expected the cases to match, so they could be stacked.

It would be nice if the new, slightly larger case was a harbinger of things to come, but I'm not so sure that it does mean anything for the Mini.

Apple designed the Mini for a reason.

They did design it back in the PPC days of yore so perhaps Apple does see a need to update the machine the way the iMac w/iSight case was originally a PPC machine but was redesigned just last year.

I too expected the cases to be the same, but they really aren't items that you'd put together.

So far this year, we've had a lot of goodies from Apple. I think we'll be seeing a lot from Cupertino as they try to head off the recession by bringing more items from R&D into the RDF.
  • Reply 88 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Why X31000 and not X4500HD which is only 3 months away?

DisplayPort would be great. I think we leave the HDMI for Apple TV.

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR??

Wireless 802.11N?

Super Drive as standard? ( About fxxking time )

It depends on when this updated machine comes out. I don't think the 4500 will be out in quantity in three months, but it's possible.

I'm not sold on Display port yet. HDMI 1.3 ports would be just dandy.
  • Reply 89 of 289
    Quote:

I don't dispute the pressure affecting the optical drive, but the lack of air vents on top doesn't exclude it from dispersing heat. We know that heat rises and that the surface does disperse heat.

PS: I perused the latest Mac Mini manual, there is nothing to support what I just wrote.
    ? Important: Don?t place anything on top of your Mac mini. Objects placed on top may interfere with the optical drive or the AirPort or Bluetooth ® wireless signal.

? Important: Don?t place anything on top of your Mac mini. Objects placed on top may interfere with the optical drive or the AirPort or Bluetooth ® wireless signal.

Why is there an assumption that something must be placed on TOP?

The many drive upgrades that have been out there with matching cases, go on the bottom.
  • Reply 90 of 289
    Quote:

They did design it back in the PPC days of yore so perhaps Apple does see a need to update the machine the way the iMac w/iSight case was originally a PPC machine but was redesigned just last year.

I too expected the cases to be the same, but they really aren't items that you'd put together.

So far this year, we've had a lot of goodies from Apple. I think we'll be seeing a lot from Cupertino as they try to head off the recession by bringing more items from R&D into the RDF.

Using an ATv, a Mini, and some other Mac device in the same spot isn't an impossible situation.
  • Reply 91 of 289
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    DisplayPort: http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/disp...h_VGA_DVI_HDMI

If they want to go with DisplayPort they better include a DP<->DVI-I adaptor & DP<->DVI-D with it.

Either way, GPU cards aren't DP enabled and since DP yet, which will require a complete new set of Display Lines.
  • Reply 92 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Either way, GPU cards aren't DP enabled and since DP yet, which will require a complete new set of Display Lines.

The X4500 GPU uses the GM45 chipset, which support DisplayPort. My reasoning is two fold for Apple including it later this year in their product line:

1) It's free, unlike HDMI.

2) It's open.
  • Reply 93 of 289
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Long live to MacMini!
  • Reply 94 of 289
    zoinkszoinks Posts: 2member
    The MacMini G4 has been my home server for many years now - it just sits quietly under the TV serving up my web site and acting as a fileserver. It downloads my torrents and transcodes my video ready for my Apple TV. If ever Apple announced the end of the Mini without a suitable replacement model, I would be straight out buying a new one before they went out of stock.

What do I want in an updated model? Well ideally - exactly the same form factor plus:
    • Firewire 800

• Super Drive

• 250 GB HD

• 2 GB RAM Minimum

• 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo

But I would accept a smaller HD and slower processor, to keep the cost down.
  • Reply 95 of 289
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I gonna go out on a limb and predict that this will morph into an xMac thread by page 3.

Too late. It happened a few posts before yours.
  • Reply 96 of 289
    initiatorinitiator Posts: 104member
    "...[L]imited adoption"?

Excuse me? Limited how? I've seen a ton of these Mac minis all over the place. They are a great deal. People who don't want to spend a lot of money trying a Mac for the first time often go for these. Microsoft's MBU has a whole roomful of these.

They may not sell as well as the MacBook, but it's not like no one is buying them.

I still have my G4 Mac Mini. It's good to know that the latest version will be updated in time for me to buy a new one.
  • Reply 97 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoinks View Post

The MacMini G4 has been my home server for many years now - it just sits quietly under the TV serving up my web site and acting as a fileserver. It downloads my torrents and transcodes my video ready for my Apple TV. If ever Apple announced the end of the Mini without a suitable replacement model, I would be straight out buying a new one before they went out of stock.

Zoinks:

What you are doing is exactly what I want to do. Could you elaborate on how you automated the transcoding and prepping into AppleTV?

Thanks,

lb
  • Reply 98 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoinks View Post

What do I want in an updated model? Well ideally - exactly the same form factor plus:
    • Firewire 800

• Super Drive

• 250 GB HD

• 2 GB RAM Minimum

• 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo

But I would accept a smaller HD and slower processor, to keep the cost down.

It looks like you can eliminate your AppleTV in favour of just having the Mac Mini. There are ways to make it act like the AppleTV and you'll be able to run your torrented AVIs without any transcoding. However, with v2.0 you won't get access to HD video rentals. You can plug in an Elgato or Migilia PVR device.

PS: You can't a 3.5" HDD in the space provided in the Mini.
  • Reply 99 of 289
    I say stick a Blu-Ray SuperDrive in that sucker.
  • Reply 100 of 289
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

The smartest thing they could do would be to dump the form factor and make the damn thing big enough to use desktop parts, specifically a 3.5 hard drive and a desktop optical drive. But they haven't ever been smart with this model.

At the very least, up the ram. And dual monitor support would be huge.

I have a mini and I like it, but I have to admit I'd rather see apple just dump the model in favor of a larger (and better...and probably cheaper as well) unit.

Yes!

stevie, just defrost that cube already!