Auto Cad for a Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need some help, I have been using Auto CAD from Auto Desk, for the past 3 1/2 years, on an HP Laptop. Of course this required using Windows XP Pro. I have finally taken the plunge, and purchased a very robust MacBook Pro, and have installed Windows XP Pro, using VMWare Fusion, on my Mac. I have machinery in my business, that will always require the use of Auto CAD, so I have also purchased a new desktop PC, which will stay in the office, and run the suite of software that has Auto CAD on it, to write the code for my machine.

What I would love to do, is try out CAD software, on my mac, that will export DXF or DWG files. This would allow me to only have to use my desktop PC, maybe 2 or 3 hours a week, versus that amount in a day.

Has anyone out there made the switch that I am wanting to make? If so, what is the most similar to Auto CAD from Auto Desk?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    I'm a bit confused. You can already export DXF/DWG from AutoCad running in Fusion, correct? Are you looking for Mac native CAD applications? If so, there's VectorWorks.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Here's a list of CAD programs for the Mac.

http://www.pure-mac.com/cad.html
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

I'm a bit confused. You can already export DXF/DWG from AutoCad running in Fusion, correct? Are you looking for Mac native CAD applications? If so, there's VectorWorks.

The version of Auto Cad that I have is an OEM, and requires the use of a parallel lock. Most laptops and new computers do not have these, plus the supplier said that they will not support their software on a Mac, hardware or software. I just want to draw on my Mac and run the Automation Suite on my PC. The automation suite takes a very small amount of time, because it gathers all of the detailed drawings, and writes code for them. It is the drawing that is important.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Got it. I would say rather than investing in a Mac solution, invest in a non-OEM version of AutoCad, maybe even the LT version. The problem is that although many of the other programs are straight up better than AutoCad, the translation of .dwg may not be perfect.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Thanks for the input. Auto CAD Lite may be the trick, if it will work on my virtual machine.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    http://www.dwggateway.com/

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/infofor/DWGseries2.html

Obviously I dont know what you do, but if you only want 2d draughting on a mac to export into custom CAM software, then id give Lemkesoft's cadIntosh a whirl, its great for what it does and costs virtually nothing.

http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/170/key-features.html
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I am a custom cabinetmaker. I use a CNC router to cut out all of my parts.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I wont claim to know much about routing wood, but im assuming you are drawing in Autocad and exporting the dxf's or dwg's into a different cad program to produce cnc codes for your router -

I guess that as you're prepared to use AutoCad LT, then you must purely be after 2d draughting - (how do you control the z-axis?) in which case i'd recommend giving cadintosh a shot on the mac - its only $30 if you decide to buy and free to try out. It exports to dxf but not dwg.

I'll be honest in saying I havn't used it since about 2000, when I was freelancing drawings for laser profilers, (same kind of thing i guess) but given all the options open to me, which at the time were AutoCad, Vectorworks, cadintosh and some horrendous nasty thing called pepsfab - I chose the $30 cad solution over the others, simply because it was by far the quickest draughting option when set up. - For example you can set up the Function keys F1-F12 etc to be hotkeys for drawing commands - line, arc, rect, offsets, snaps etc. Its just so convinient and blisteringly fast.

Dispite the fact that these days i've moved on to Solidworks and Inventor on the PC - I wouldn't hesitate to rebuy cadIntosh if I ever move back to the mac - because in my experience - and i've used as many Cad system's I could get my hand on, nothing comes close to the speed of 2d drawing in cadintosh when set up right -on any platform - except a very old dos program you wont find anymore called procut!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    In answer to your question about the Z Axis, I draw in layers, not in 3D. So the layers have associated knowledges, that are linked to the automation suite mentioned below. So if I can draw in layers, it would work.

I use Router CIM Tech Automation Suite software. It writes the G Code, and does all the stuff to cut out the parts. I am running VM Ware Fusion, so I can run Windows. I have downloaded Cadintosh, but have not had a chance to play around with it.

I guess I am spoiled, having used Auto CAD for the past 4 years, that I do not want to go to something new, or at least have it look the same. I might even try to load it onto my Mac and see what happens. Everything else is running well, PC that is, on my Mac. Things I do not even have drivers for, that are still Beta, are running fine.

Thanks for your input. I do greatly appreciate it.

Happy Easter