10.5 and printer on WinXP

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I am an ex Windows user that finally saw the light, and bought a Mac with the latest OSX 10.5

My wife still belongs to the dark side and her computer runs XP. Our printer is connected via USB to her computer. I have tried to find out how to setup so that I can print from my Mac onto the printer through her computer. I am on a wireless network and file sharing is working fine. I googled the printer subject, but the only tutorials I found were outdated. Also, the printer I am trying to install is not in the default drivers preinstalled or available on OSX. The printer is a Canon MF4150.

Could anybody point me to an updated tutorial or help me do this ?

Thank you very much.

Serge

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by serhito View Post

... Our printer is connected via USB to her computer. I have tried to find out how to setup so that I can print from my Mac onto the printer through her computer. I am on a wireless network and file sharing is working fine. I googled the printer subject, but the only tutorials I found were outdated. Also, the printer I am trying to install is not in the default drivers preinstalled or available on OSX. The printer is a Canon MF4150.

Assuming that your printer is the Canon imageCLASS MF4150, then it is supported by Canon for a USB connection to your Mac. However, you need a CUPS driver. Neither GutenPrint nor Linuxprinting.org supports it. You must share the printer as a generic PostScript [or LaserWriter] printer from Windows. To print from your Mac, you will use your wife's Windows computer as your print server.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Assuming that your printer is the Canon imageCLASS MF4150, then it is supported by Canon for a USB connection to your Mac. However, you need a CUPS driver. Neither GutenPrint nor Linuxprinting.org supports it. You must share the printer as a generic PostScript [or LaserWriter] printer from Windows. To print from your Mac, you will use your wife's Windows computer as your print server.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I confirm that this is the printer (Canon MF4150). I appreciate your help, but I must admit that I wouldn't know how to do what you just described. I am fairly new with Mac. I don't know what a CUPS driver is and don't know what you mean by generic PostScript printer.

Can you be a bit more specific, or do you know a good online tutorial ?

Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    except the printer is an HP Deskjet 932C (and there is a Guten-whatever driver for it) connected to the Windows XP. Ironically, I could print on it from the Tiger OS but the connection disappeared when I installed Leopard.

Any help appreciated.

Hi, Serhito. Should I have posted this as a new thread?

maybewise