When will iTunes be completely rewritten?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It feels slow and "tired" on my Dual 2.0 G5. This is, what, a 7 year old carbon app? While I realize cocoa in itself is not faster, the mere act of writing from new foundations should be a world of good.

Then again Numbers is dog slow when using large amounts of columns and rows... hmm

Isn't curious iTunes is becoming an application to do everything and yet it is called iTunes?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

It feels slow and "tired" on my Dual 2.0 G5. ...

iTunes feels fine on my Dual 2.0 GHz G5.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Perhaps that is why we haven't seen a version 8.0. Perhaps they are rewriting it.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Try repairing the permissions as sometimes itunes screws a few things up and then it doesn't play fair.

Also which version of itunes are you using?

Do you have any third party add-ons or plugins used with itunes?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    iTunes runs just fine on my iMac G5 2.1GHz machine, with only 512 MBs memory and a library of over 300 GBs of music.

The only thing I want in iTunes is a kiosk mode so when I have parties people can play music and not delete playlists/songs by mistake.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    I think if it (iTunes) gets "completely rewritten" you would see something like iMedia or something, where as iTunes would get dropped. This would be a bold move I think, but I am not sure they would "completely rewrite all the code"

Laters...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

The only thing I want in iTunes is a kiosk mode so when I have parties people can play music and not delete playlists/songs by mistake.

How about switching on the visualizer and going into full screen mode?

You can also go into full screen mode when using the cover flow view.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

How about switching on the visualizer and going into full screen mode?

You can also go into full screen mode when using the cover flow view.

I think the idea would be for people to be able to search around and pick the music without making any permanent changes to the library or playlists.

I could use this too. Especially if you could add a security mode that would lock out everything but iTunes. As a teacher I sometimes find my students searching through my iTunes library at extracurricular events where I am providing music (all clean song versions--don't worry). It would be nice if I didn't have to watch every second to keep everything else secure...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

... Especially if you could add a security mode that would lock out everything but iTunes. As a teacher I sometimes find my students searching through my iTunes library at extracurricular events where I am providing music (all clean song versions--don't worry). It would be nice if I didn't have to watch every second to keep everything else secure...

You should not use your personal account like this. Establish a limited account especifically for your extracurricular events. Share the tunes you want with the special limited account.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Like a jukebox.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    That is what i think too. Itunes is quickly becoming the central Hub to all Apple's things. Iphone Update, Ipod Update, Syncing. iphone App Store, Movie Rentel, TV series, PodCast, etc.

Which feels rather Microsoft to me.

And i have trouble finding the connection between tunes and App Store. Now Itunes feels like iCanDoEverything.

And yes itunes is getting slower every release. They are adding more features in without tuning. Which is a sign that apple is expanding quicker then they can handle. Which could be a good thing and a bad thing.

I think once Iphone 2.0 is out, SDK has been running smoothly and Movie Rental sorted out. Apple needs to rethink the whole thing.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Now that Cocoa apps in Leopard have "normal" functioning list view selections, I would like to see iTunes rewritten as a Cocoa app so that keyboard selection works like most people would expect it to. Finder is the other app that could use a similar rewrite. (Link to background info via Gruber.)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You should not use your personal account like this. Establish a limited account especifically for your extracurricular events. Share the tunes you want with the special limited account.

What you say makes sense. But it is not always that simple. Sometimes I am going from a Keynote presentation to music and such. And maybe even back again. Switching between accounts is not always convenient...

Regardless, I never leave the kids with the computer unattended. And I have never had a problem--they know the consequences of mucking about in my computer beyond the music would be severe. But the idea of a controlled jukebox mode just caught my fancy as I was reading the above post...