Video TS Files in Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Can I, and if yes, how do I, get Video TS files into Apple TV?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    You probably can using one of the AppleTV hacks. But then what would you do with it? You need a DVD player in order for you to play these files and the AppleTV does not have a DVD player.

Does anyone know if the AppleTV hacks survived the Take2 upgrade?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sapcor1sapcor1 Posts: 12member
    I probably should expand on what I'm looking to achieve....

I want to have my DVD collection available via Apple TV, similar to what you can do in Windows Media Player.

I can rip the DVDs using Mac The Ripper to a 1TB external hard disk which works well with most of my collection except newer Disney & Sony releases. Does anyone know of any programme that does this better than MtR?

From there I suppose I would then have to get the Video TS files into iTunes in the Movies section and from there access via Apple TV.

Been having a look around and it seems that Handbrake converts these files to MP4 and then there is the Elgato Turbo device to do the processing.

Is this the way to go?

I have a 20" iMac (previous generation) with Intel chips
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Handbrake does a fine job (with most DVD's you can even skip the MtR process... Handbrake will rip/transcode in one step.) Handbrake will transcode using the Macs processor... generally takes about one hour to transcode a one-hour movie... longer or shorter depending on the settings you choose.)

I haven't used the Elgato device, but it pushes the transcode off onto dedicated hardware, so it SHOULD be faster. Check to see if it can work from TS files before putting down your cash.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAPCOR1 View Post

..From there I suppose I would then have to get the Video TS files into iTunes in the Movies section and from there access via Apple TV...

This is similar to what I do, using the appleTV setting in Hand Break. I keep the H.264 files on an external drive and link them to iTunes. Works well.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

This is similar to what I do, using the appleTV setting in Hand Break. I keep the H.264 files on an external drive and link them to iTunes. Works well.

Another vote for this.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    When I use the default settings for handbrake and don't change anything, I can get an iPod movie and it works correctly. If I change something though the files get funky and won't load on my iPod.

But I use VisualHub now, that program rocks I think. The only thing that handbrake has over VisualHub is that it can separate chapters from a DVD to individual movies. But Visual Hub can concatenate multiple movies into a on big file for continuos play.

The main item that VisualHub has over handbrake is that you can choose to optimize for specific devices or all of the i devices and AppleTV. When you choose to optimize for all devices you can change setting as much as you want like making them 320 or 480 and then iTunes loads those movies no matter what. (5th Gen iPod, iPhone, AppleTV)

Laters...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sapcor1sapcor1 Posts: 12member
    Many thanks to all, much appreciated

Handbrake works very well indeed and I have managed to get four movies into iTunes and replay on Apple TV with no issues at all.

Takes a while and I may invest in the Legato, but not a big issue for now
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Hello - looking to purchase an APPLE TV....I read this thread and use HANDBRAKE and MTR as well. It seems to get DVD's to play through an APPLE TV - it must be in iTUNES -if I use HANDBRAKE as per this discussion - DO I GET HD and 5.1 surround? The APPLE TV will be HDMI to the Receiver and then to the SONY TV.....

Thanks

Art
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

When I use the default settings for handbrake and don't change anything, I can get an iPod movie and it works correctly. If I change something though the files get funky and won't load on my iPod.

But I use VisualHub now, that program rocks I think. The only thing that handbrake has over VisualHub is that it can separate chapters from a DVD to individual movies. But Visual Hub can concatenate multiple movies into a on big file for continuos play.

The main item that VisualHub has over handbrake is I'd you can choose to optimize for specific devices or all of the i devices and AppleTV. When you choose to optimize for all devices you can change setting as much as you want like making them 320 or 480 and then iTunes loads those movies no matter what. (5th Gen iPod, iPhone, AppleTV)

Laters...

Handbreak will optimize too. Handbreak will also work with MetaX which is also a must have app for Apple TV owners
  • Reply 10 of 10
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amattiel View Post

Hello - looking to purchase an APPLE TV....I read this thread and use HANDBRAKE and MTR as well. It seems to get DVD's to play through an APPLE TV - it must be in iTUNES -if I use HANDBRAKE as per this discussion - DO I GET HD and 5.1 surround? The APPLE TV will be HDMI to the Receiver and then to the SONY TV.....

HD? Define HD? DVDs only have 480 lines of resolution, and yes, Handbrake will create files that have up to 480 lines of resolution (but will generally be less due to the anamorphic nature of most DVDs).

As for 5.1, you'll get that too if you select the Apple TV preset (or enable it manually).

FWIW, the average ~2hr movie encoded with the Apple TV preset gives files that are approximately 2gb in size. Much larger than their DivX counterpart, but still less than half the size of the average VIDEO_TS folder the original poster was asking about (which will play if you hack your Apple TV, which you really should do if you want it to be an entirely useful device).