Restore DVD and upgrading Hard Drive

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
im sorry if this sounds a little noobish, but google turned up a mess of results which wasnt related to my search.

I have a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook, Late 2006, 60GB hdd.

I wanna swap out my hdd for a 120GB hdd, but one thing which worries me is that, if i erform a har disk change, can i still use the OS X restore DVDs bundled with my Macbook to install Tiger? My college is discouraging us from upgrading to Leopard. Therefore, i would like to know if the hardware checks in the OS X restore DVD will block the installation of Tiger on my Macbook if i upgrade the hdd?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post

I have a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook, Late 2006, 60GB hdd.

I wanna swap out my hdd for a 120GB hdd, but one thing which worries me is that, if i erform a har disk change, can i still use the OS X restore DVDs bundled with my Macbook to install Tiger? My college is discouraging us from upgrading to Leopard. Therefore, i would like to know if the hardware checks in the OS X restore DVD will block the installation of Tiger on my Macbook if i upgrade the hdd?

Is your college providing technical support for MacOS X? Has it banned the purchase of new Macs because all new Macs ship with Leopard? Has it given any reason at all why you should not run Leopard? There is only one reason why you should not run Leopard. That is if you have mission-critical Classic apps. Because you have an Intel-based Mac, Classic is not an issue for you.

To your situation, I don't see the benefit restarting from scratch. Carbon Copy Cloner allows you to copy your setup from one hard drive to another. I think that CCC will better serve you than System Restore.

After you get your setup running on your new hard drive, I suggest that you upgrade to Leopard. The nitwits on your school's IT staff will never know the difference.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    As far as I am aware the HD size wouldn't make any difference to the restore if it was done.

I also recommend upgrading to leopard which is so far much better for me.