iChat help in Tokyo

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm in Tokyo on vacation & for some reason I can't get iChat to work. I can i.m. but no video or audio chats. The connection says that the error is a -8. Any ideas how to fix this? I never had this problem when I was chatting with my cousin from Milwaukee to Florida. Skype video works but the quality is crappy & the volume will turn off & on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Hi there mello, try seeing if its your internet connection, are you on wireless or are you wired to the internet? This might just be a network issue since your Japan and your cousin is in the states. If not try going to iChat preferences and under the video tab select bandwidth limit, and select unlimited. then go to system preferences and under Internet and Network pick Quicktime, and then go to the streaming and select your internet speed, or just T1.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Finalblink View Post

Hi there mello, try seeing if its your internet connection, are you on wireless or are you wired to the internet? This might just be a network issue since your Japan and your cousin is in the states. If not try going to iChat preferences and under the video tab select bandwidth limit, and select unlimited. then go to system preferences and under Internet and Network pick Quicktime, and then go to the streaming and select your internet speed, or just T1.

Thanks for the help but I got back from Tokyo in November.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Oh man Im sorry no one responded earlier. Well still glad I was able to help, and if you encounter anything of the sort like that again, run through those steps.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Ohayo Gozaimasu - Good Morning from Tokyo

I have been using video iChat with my wife in Maryland for the past 4 days, this morning, I can not connect and getting a -8 error. My wife's side say that I am canceling the connection.

WIfe is not that computer savvy (the main reason I got her a Mac). She is running 10.5.2 on a first gen Intel iMac and I am running a first gen MacBook Pro with 10.4.11.

Neither of us made any changes in the past 12 hours, but the connection just can't be made. Very frustrating...