Your opinion: Will the "iPod Air" be the name of the Apple tablet?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, its been a spectacularly boring day for tech news to start the week off. And it was especially slow for Apple news. The only thing of interest today was Google's interest in white space spectrum tech for possible low cost wireless broadband.

But thats a topic for another thread.

As ever, I'm hungry for Apple news (especially Apple tablet news) so I did my own digging today. Found this post that was made today by Mike Cane about Apple recently claiming the domain www.ipodair.com. And it is Mike's theory that the "iPod Air" will be the designation of the long rumored Apple tablet. I want to know the opinion of the community of this. Read it:

http://mikecane2008.wordpress.com/20...-the-ipod-air/

So instead of exclaming: MACTOUCH FTW!! every minute instead I should exclaim: iPod AIR FTW???!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    And, no.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Read the comments to Cane's post carefully.

www.ipodair.com was not registered by Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Read the comments to Cane's post carefully.

www.ipodair.com was not registered by Apple.

I'm reading through to the entire thread now. Is Apple aware of the redirect?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Damn.

Unless Mike Cane can get a confirmation from the domain owner (like he is attempting) then it looks like the domain owner is "squatting". Is that the term? This is all happening on his blog as we speak. I will try to learn more from him.

Still though. I think iPod Air is a very good guess.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Damn.

Unless Mike Cane can get a confirmation from the domain owner (like he is attempting) then it looks like the domain owner is "squatting". Is that the term? This is all happening on his blog as we speak. I will try to learn more from him.

Still though. I think iPod Air is a very good guess.

Yes, the domain owner is squatting.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Ah, cyber squatting…

Just sitting there, nestled between the 1s & 0s, with an eye out for the man…
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I think that's a great name for a tiny iPod, as if Apple didn't already have enough tiny iPods. And it's a terrible name for a tablet computer.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I think that's a great name for a tiny iPod, as if Apple didn't already have enough tiny iPods. And it's a terrible name for a tablet computer.

I agree, it's a terrible name for a tablet computer.

Not the Air part, the iPod part.

Why doesn't somebody come up with a viable name for the tablet that includes "Air" and we can have some fun.

Or maybe, talk about the smaller iPods getting Wi-Fi, so they'd be iPod-Airs.

But putting iPod and Air together to talk about the Tablet Computer is really off the wall.......
  • Reply 9 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Mac touch FTW!!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I dunno about that one. Wasn't "macbook air" a terrible name for a notebook we all thought at first? Then people started to get used to it.

And as for the thought that using the word "iPod" to describe a tablet being bad too well...dunno about that either.

Because if they really do come out with the tablet I have a feeling its going to be related to the iPod line just as the iPod touch is.

I really think its going to be a web enabled tablet device and its most likely going to come from the iPod lineup.

If not, then its going to be one of an entire line of tablet products not related to the iphone or ipod touch.

The year is going by quickly. Somewhere, somehow....there will be a leak.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

I dunno about that one. Wasn't "macbook air" a terrible name for a notebook we all thought at first? Then people started to get used to it.

And as for the thought that using the word "iPod" to describe a tablet being bad too well...dunno about that either.

Because if they really do come out with the tablet I have a feeling its going to be related to the iPod line just as the iPod touch is.

I really think its going to be a web enabled tablet device and its most likely going to come from the iPod lineup.

If not, then its going to be one of an entire line of tablet products not related to the iphone or ipod touch.

No, people didn't think MacBook Air was a terrible name.

It's a Macbook.

It's not an iPod, so they called it MacBook.

If they come out with a computer, that's a tablet, it's not going to be an iPod.

If they market it like it's an iPod, they're going to shut down a LOT of the buzz they can get in many institutions. Go ask Allstate if they want to implement a solution with their adjusters using.... an iPod.

No, if they actually do build this, it ain't gonna be the iPod Tablet.

Apple is way too good at being cool and cutting edge to do something that.... lame?

If you want really off the wall, they could call the new device "The Flower of Kent"!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

"The Flower of Kent"!

And here I'll be buying one even before I've even eaten one.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

The iPhone is the tablet. Why would Apple release a tablet? Are they even made anymore?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

The iPhone is the tablet. Why would Apple release a tablet? Are they even made anymore?

The iPhone is the tablet?

4th option in the menu from the left above.... is "Search".

Try it out......
  • Reply 15 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

The iPhone is the tablet. Why would Apple release a tablet?

It's not exactly a tablet, well it's a very small, not too powerful one. Why would Apple release a tablet? Glad you asked, the real reason is because they want to do a multi-touch Mac and a 10-11" [tablet] would be the best way to do just that.

Large, powerful desktop @ home, iPhone with you at all times, and a portable, 11", Mac touch tablet for working on the move = ideal.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

No, people didn't think MacBook Air was a terrible name.

It's a Macbook.

It's not an iPod, so they called it MacBook.

If they come out with a computer, that's a tablet, it's not going to be an iPod.

If they market it like it's an iPod, they're going to shut down a LOT of the buzz they can get in many institutions. Go ask Allstate if they want to implement a solution with their adjusters using.... an iPod.

No, if they actually do build this, it ain't gonna be the iPod Tablet.

Apple is way too good at being cool and cutting edge to do something that.... lame?

If you want really off the wall, they could call the new device "The Flower of Kent"!

Well, I went to a lot of sites besides this one and not everyone was happy with the name macbook air. Everyone wanted the name "macbook nano" for some reason.

Anyways, if your saying they won't tie the tablet to their ipod line then they are going to tie it to their macbook line?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    WWWOOO YEAH! Here is a pic of steve holding one!

The iPOD AIR comes with a huge 12.6" TOUCH display (not 13.3" because that made it to heavy) and a keyboard!! The trackpad is the new scroll wheel, which you won't use that much, because of the touch interface, and it is huge!

Because Apple doesn't need to pack all that useless junk, like the video card, battery, CPU, they have more room for the device that holds the content, the SSD. The SSD AIR fits perfectly inside the iPOD AIR, and because it is so big, it can hold 4 TB OF DATA! A 4 TB SSD!! That's approximately a 40000MB SSD, 2 hour battery life, a beautiful 12.6" display, all in one small package, and it starts at just $2,999. You can upgrade to a 8 TB SSD, and the 13.3" TOUCH display, for just $4,999. However the 13.3" makes it kind of heavy

Now how would you like that iPod? woo!

Haha... I doubt there would ever be an iPod air, you can't get much smaller, or thinner, then the iPod Nano. if they did come out with an iPod Air, approximately how small would it be?