Briefly: NYC iPhone sellout; new Jersey store; 2008 PC shipments

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Well, the quarter is ending and we all remember the "missing iPhone" saga partly attributed to the full house of inventory at the end of last quarter, but intentionally allowing inventory fall so low is a bit uncharacteristic... It would be a surprise to see a second-gen iPhone in April. Thinking more like June again.

K

I am betting June as well. After all, they need to give the early adopters at least a year before expecting them to plonk down another $500-$600?
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

What am I missing? Apple sells 8GB & 16GB iPhone as of, what, February?

D'oh! Of course you are right .... I've been holding my breath for so long waiting for my 3G that I've lost some grey matter ... my bad.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cherry Hill store grand opening

Meanwhile, this weekend will see New Jersey gain its 10th Apple retail store when the Apple Store Cherry Hill opens to the public on Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 10:00 a.m. EDT.

Located at the Cherry Hill Mall, the shop is just a short drive from the Apple Store Sagemore in Marlton, New Jersey on Route 73 South.

It is very nice that the Cherry Hill store is opening (located in suburban Philadelphia) but what I cannot figure out is why Apple has not opened a store in the city of Philadelphia itself. This is a city of 1.5 million with very high end shopping on Walnut street, but no Apple store! Very strange.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rydewnd2 View Post

Perhaps, but why would New York City run out before anywhere else?

Transatlantic flights full of Europeans for whom a few iPhones purchased in NYC more than pays for the fare + incidentals + hotel would explain it (and that is only at the MSRP in the EU, not to mention the prices fetched in the parallel market).
  • Reply 25 of 48
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not to mention Chinese.

San Francisco or Los Angeles would make for a much shorter flight.

Or how about Honolulu?
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Because that's where all the Europeans come to buy them and unlock them.

Oops, didn't see that response.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh yeah I forgot they plan their entire vacations around the iPhone: They spend $900 on flights just to buy an $400 phone. You still believe that old wives' tale?

Hey, considering the exchange rates now because the ol" dollar is getting weaker by the month, the Europeans pay a higher rate for the iPhone because of the exchange rate. They won't break even with the savings by coming here, but I bet that the savings help pay for a nice percentage of the trip. Ok, so all the NYC stores are out of stock right now. Maybe with a little calling around Jersey may have 1 or 2.

NYC and the restaurants are very happy now with all the Euros coming into town bringing in that turista money.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    The PluginManager update is 1.3MB for me.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    "At their thermal design limits, both of the new Xeons consume no more than 50 watts".

So what were the older ones that they replace? 100 W? Thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rittenhousesq View Post

It is very nice that the Cherry Hill store is opening (located in suburban Philadelphia) but what I cannot figure out is why Apple has not opened a store in the city of Philadelphia itself. This is a city of 1.5 million with very high end shopping on Walnut street, but no Apple store! Very strange.

I actually spoke with Ron Johnson about a Philadelphia store a long time ago (when there were only three or four stores in existence) and the first thing he mentioned (without prompting, mind you) was Walnut Street and the King of Prussia Mall. King of Prussia happened a short time later, but Walnut street never panned out. So Apple is clearly aware of the potential of Walnut Street.

My guess? Unfavorable leasing conditions, poor location choices. Maybe they're waiting for a specific building to become available. Apple chooses its store locations very, very carefully, with all the costs and profitability factored in. It's not like opening a Starbucks, where the goal is to simply have as many as possible. If they don't like something about the deal, they back off until the conditions are right.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

Hey, considering the exchange rates now because the ol" dollar is getting weaker by the month, the Europeans pay a higher rate for the iPhone because of the exchange rate. They won't break even with the savings by coming here, but I bet that the savings help pay for a nice percentage of the trip. Ok, so all the NYC stores are out of stock right now. Maybe with a little calling around Jersey may have 1 or 2.

NYC and the restaurants are very happy now with all the Euros coming into town bringing in that turista money.

NYC is full of Europeans because of the dollar value for them - agreed.

They travel here specifically for iPhones- ridiculous.

I find it hard to beleive that Apple could not keep in stock in their 3 "flagship" stores here enough iPhones?

The European flood has been here for at least 3-4 months. Somebody is pulling all of our legs here. I intend to find out for myself tonight.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

I think it's a virtual certainty that iPhone version 2 will debut at WWDC 2008. <snip>

Since Apple will have to file with the FCC before releasing iPhone 2, there will be a window where sales will slow down significantly. I think the price drop will happen then. We'll know soon enough.

I tend to agree - iPhone 2.0 (3G) AND an iPhone OS 2.0 for existing iPhones

The slow down could mean they've slowed production (slightly too much) and they're about to mention the 3G iPhone for June (to get FCC approval)... and anticipating a drop in demand to match new production levels.

??
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am betting June as well. After all, they need to give the early adopters at least a year before expecting them to plonk down another $500-$600?

What is the sentiment that you're trying to convey?

Are you voicing dissatisfaction with the fact that a 3G iPhone will be released so soon or that Apple continues to update their product line?

Surely you're not suggesting that everyone who owns the current iPhone will be holding a useless piece of glass and metal when the new phone is released or that they will be compelled to buy the new 3G version. That would be a strange logical leap.

, indeed.

Obviously you have an issue with this progression. What is it exactly? Do you feel like Apple is ripping you off in some way? You do realize that if you really really really want to upgrade, you have the option of selling your old iPhone to offset the price of the new one.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    David Stevenson, Apple would never release a 3G iPhone in Europe or Asia unless it was available in the USA as well.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:

The European flood has been here for at least 3-4 months. Somebody is pulling all of our legs here. I intend to find out for myself tonight.

By the time you get to one of the stores a shipment may have come it.

When it comes to travelers, saving $$ may be a necessity for some. For others, it can be a fun part of the trip. What % are actually buying iPhones is probably small. But, if you want to take and trip and you want an iPhone then why not combine the 2. And maybe, knowing you want an iPhone is enough of a catalyst to take the trip and also buy a laptop at the same time. Should we have a sociological study to really see? Maybe not. I don't think Apple provides what % of sales in their stores are to foreign credit cards in any of their stockholder reports. I'm sure they know, though.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I am intrigued by those low-power Xeons. If they could get them running a little faster--like 2.8 or 3.0 GHz, I'd be all over them. I love my 1st generation Mac Pro (3 GHz), but it heats up my office considerably (not to mention the two big cinema displays) and sometimes I'd be happy trading a little speed for a cooler computer.

I thought it was odd that the article suggested that performance wasn't sacrificed for going low power, but the drop in available clock is more than 20%.

I think the $2399 model would do you pretty well, it's a single 2.8GHz quad core. It has one less FSB though, I don't know how much it reduces performance.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't think that's the reason.

Overall, Apple has been doing a major update of their iPods once a year, and I think that's probably going to happen with the iPhone. It's a fairly decent pace, you can't practically update too often, and updating too rarely can lose you market share.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

I think it's a virtual certainty that iPhone version 2 will debut at WWDC 2008. The SDK/Enterprise software update will become available and it is 2.0, the iPhone debuted in June of last year and Apple tends to update on a yearly basis, and with 3G and a better camera they will be able to make it available in Asia. I just can't see Apple missing an opportunity like they'll have with the Summer Olympics in Beijing this year. Debut the new iPhone and advertise it like crazy at the Olympics.

Since Apple will have to file with the FCC before releasing iPhone 2, there will be a window where sales will slow down significantly. I think the price drop will happen then. We'll know soon enough.

As soon as we get wind of a 3G iPhone being released to the FCC for approval sales will come to a virtual stop. And eery news agency will be reporting on it's imminent release (free press for Apple).

Apple will need something to make the time between FCC and sales in the US less harsh. I think that is the release of v2.0 with the announcement of a 3G iPhone to follow immediately after approval. It won't be much of a stop gap, but it should help balance things out a little. I can't think of anything else they can do to prevent this. Can you?

Therefore, I think the 3G iPhone will be released in the US between Aug—Sept.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

That applies only to USofA sales. Apple could release a 3G iPhone for sale in Europe the same day they file with the FCC (Nokia does this all the time). Don't know about approval in Japan and Singapore, but it's currently Europe where sales are "disappointing."

I think that is a good idea. With the v2.0 advancements and the 3G chip that the EU has been wanting, plus the Americans that will want to be early adopters of the 3G version, if would show a strong desire for the iPhone that we EU didn't see first time around.

Quote:

NYC is full of Europeans because of the dollar value for them - agreed.

I find it hard to beleive that Apple could not keep in stock in their 3 "flagship" stores here enough iPhones?

The OP never stated they come here specifically for the iPhone. He just said that international travelers, who are most likely to be in certain US cities, will purchase their iPhones—and other electronics—in these popular hubs.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Anyone knows if the PluginManager 1.7.3 fixes the UltraBeat bug in Logic Studio? (The bug where the UltraBeat instrument sometimes doesn't save the sets with the correct samples)..
  • Reply 40 of 48
    sartissartis Posts: 6member
    I just hope that with the 3G iphone that we get the ability to tether it for use with a laptop.