Apple pushing Safari downloads on Windows users

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 114
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Of course windows programs are consistent. All window programs have a File, Edit, etc menu.

Tell that to most Office 2007 apps, or Internet Explorer 7 on Vista (the XP version now shows the menu bar by default again).
  • Reply 102 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Tell that to most Office 2007 apps, or Internet Explorer 7 on Vista (the XP version now shows the menu bar by default again).

As a Safari user on Mac, I have to honestly say that the Windows version is horrible. 30 seconds to load my home page---that about says it all.
  • Reply 103 of 114
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    1. The Author uses inflammatory words like "muscle in" as if Apple were forcing Safari on unsuspecting PC users as if MSFT did not use similar (and worse) tactics to make Explorer the #1 browser. Is he trying to make Apple a bad guy for this?

2. As much as I dislike most of MSFT software, you gotta admit that if Apple had achieved the number one slot in computing they would have used similar tactics. Gosh guys...it's only normal to use your advantage, if you have one, and to let others know what advantages you can offer them,

[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1231876]In an apparent bid to rapidly gain share of the online browser market dominated by rival Microsoft, Apple is leveraging its vast iTunes install base to recommend that Windows users also download and install the latest version of its Safari web browser.

It now appears that the Cupertino-based company aspires to use the advantage presented by the Software Update mechanism to muscle its way further up the browser charts at the expense Microsoft's Internet Explorer and other third-party Windows browsers.
  • Reply 104 of 114
    We just finished reading an interesting article, which you can find here, about the automatically opted-in Safari install that PC users are getting with their iTunes updates. Admittedly, our initial reaction was to say ?They should be thankful! Now they don?t have to use their mishmash of craptronic Intraweb Exploders and Mozzarella Firecrotchs and get a REAL browser.? However, we thought about this prerogative and decided, rather, to issue an official ?shame on you, Apple,? instead... (read the rest of the response here: http://www.applewatchdog.com/?p=60)
  • Reply 105 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I assume you are kidding ... right?

As more Windows users try a Mac type app such as iTunes and now safari it makes them realize what an ugly interface they have suffered thus far.

I assume you are being sarcastic?
  • Reply 106 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post

As a Safari user on Mac, I have to honestly say that the Windows version is horrible. 30 seconds to load my home page---that about says it all.

Rextilleon FTW!!!!
  • Reply 107 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The only reason I use IE on parallels is to access my bank site, I can access it using safari and firefox but I cannot do anything other than view statements. I don't know why many websites are only designed to be best viewed on IE!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frawon View Post

I try to use Safari every time a new update pops up, but I keep switch back to IE after I get into some financial websites does not even support Safari.

I encourage you both to write to these sad, little web sites and tell them that people do use other web browsers besides IE. Many web sites are only designed to be "best viewed" with IE because (a) the company is lazy, (b) doesn't realize that greater than 20% of users prefer another browser besides IE and (c) no one has complained about it. It is most likely poor web site code, tailored to IE and not Safari, seeing how the latest WebKit nightly is at 95% when attempting to pass the Acid3 test.
  • Reply 108 of 114
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buldir View Post

seeing how the latest WebKit nightly is at 75% when attempting to pass the Acid3 test.

Maybe just a typo, but it's 95%
  • Reply 109 of 114
    buldirbuldir Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

Maybe just a typo, but it's 95%

Thanks for the correction, Endymion. The current version of Safari 3.1 actually scores 75/100. The latest WebKit nightly has achieved 95/100.
  • Reply 110 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But when it comes to install base, Safari is world's behind.

Safari is the world's behind? I know they are in last place, but isn't that a bit graphic?

• Reply 111 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buldir View Post

Thanks for the correction, Endymion. The current version of Safari 3.1 actually scores 75/100. The latest WebKit nightly has achieved 95/100.

...and now 98/100... almost there.
  • Reply 112 of 114
    ...and in no time flat, webkit is now at 100/100
  • Reply 113 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

...and in no time flat, webkit is now at 100/100

Now we wait for the Opera aficionados to claim that Presto made it to 100/100 first, even though there was no public beta to verify that, only an snapshot from a Presto developer.

I wonder how fast Apple is going to release an update to Safari just to claim the title as the first non-beta browser to be Acid3 compliant, even if it means a more unstable version of Safari. I betting on the Apple developers getting the new Safari beta within a week and the "stable" release being pushed to users within 4 weeks.
  • Reply 114 of 114
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I agree with your thoughts on iWork. That's becoming a fine suite of apps. I think that as Numbers improves that will easily become the preferred productivity suite on the Mac.

I don't about FF(gecko) though. I'm quite impressed with version three for the Mac. It'll give Safari a real run for its money. Actually I like both and can't decide which one I prefer. Competition here is really benefitting users.

Oops I see Jeff said essentially the same thing.

We aren't debating the same matter I see. You mention Firefox. I'm talking about WebKit.

WebKit is more than just what Safari is utilizing.

If you want to know more you could to an SVN checkout and see what's going on.