How often do I reload my Mac?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Coming from the Windows world (converted 09/2006), I have a huge urge/need/desire to reload my system. With Windows, I reloaded at least once a year - usually twice.

I'm having no problems at all, so I know, why fix it if it isn't broken, but how often should I be thinking about doing a reload?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ihave never reloaded my macs since I first loaded OSX 10.2 which i installed on my quicksilver 867 back in the day. My imac g5 1.8 has always just been updated as new releases come out. I am on leopard now with no troubles. YMMV though
  • Reply 2 of 5
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Reloading?

Is that where you reformat your boot disk and reload your OS and applications?

-- Nope, never done that.

Or is it where you wipe your boot disk and copy over an old clone?

-- The only ones I know that do that with the Mac are those mucking with their system or those who need a fast recovery from a hard disk failure.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    There's not really a need to restore your system after regular use. When you upgrade your OS always use Archive and Install. After a number of versions you can get some extra speed in by doing an actual restore, but even then, it isn't always a massive speed increase.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

ihave never reloaded my macs since I first loaded OSX 10.2 which i installed on my quicksilver 867 back in the day. My imac g5 1.8 has always just been updated as new releases come out. I am on leopard now with no troubles. YMMV though

Same here. The Panther installation on my old Powerbook is almost 4 years old. Only change is Apple's updates. And even with a hard drive about 96% full, the Powerbook still runs happily.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Reloading?

Is that where you reformat your boot disk and reload your OS and applications?

-- Nope, never done that.

Or is it where you wipe your boot disk and copy over an old clone?

-- The only ones I know that do that with the Mac are those mucking with their system or those who need a fast recovery from a hard disk failure.

Excellent! I guess reloading is a habit that I will just need to break.