Apple developing full-fledged digital lifestyle fitness companion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

Everyone's opinion is their own and valid, but using "everybody already knows..." in support of your opinion is misguided.

Look no further than research into dieters who view a scale daily versus those who do not.

Sorry, but I was unaware that anyone with enough money to purchase such a device would not already know the obvious relationship between diet, exercise and health. But your second point I agree with. One SIMPLE data point, the scale. I suppose you are correct in assuming that my personal lifestyle would not be enhanced by this contraption. But that my be because already totally obsessed with fitness. Sorry if I offended anyone.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think it will catch on. It is too complicated with all of those straps and velco. Besides, everyone already knows that if they get more exercise and eat fewer calories they will be healthier. A cute little application is not going give someone the discipline and will power to stick to a an exercise and dietary program. Fat people are too lazy and fit people don't need it.

That's why the Nike + iPod works so well is that it is targeted at people who are already in great shape who just want to record one simple data set time/distance.

These diet gadgets sell well (yea AAPL!) but are generally nonsense. Toys like this may motivate for a short time, but end up in a drawer.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    introducing: iFat
  • Reply 24 of 61
    When I first saw the pictures in this patent filing I thought "wow, this device really looks like one of those early iPod video mockups"... A quick google picture search revealed that apple indeed used this very mockup I had in mind (note light reflections):

http://www.joeyinteractive.com/blog/?p=149

Now.... did the guy who photoshopped that mockup accidentally create the design of a new apple product? Uhm... never mind... Cheers
  • Reply 25 of 61
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 706member
    sorry - couldn't resist.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    This system NEEDS to have diet and food management built in. Anyone can exercise a little but without calorie tracking, its worthless. I could pig out and eat more than my workout lost me.

FWIW, I'm doing the watchers of weight system (not a promotion) and just watching what I eat I'm losing weight and I work at a desk all day and do not exercise much. CALORIES matter.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    That's insanely great! It's just what I've been trying to find fruitlessly.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I have to say, the phrase "digital lifestyle fitness companion" has to give some bureaucrats, marketing weenies and analysts some wood. It's almost a phrase that only they can take seriously.

Maybe that is the code name and it will really be called ... iFit or ... iLive ... iAm ... iWell ... iHealth ...
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe that is the code name and it will really be called ... iFit or ... iLive ... iAm ... iWell ... iHealth ...

iSizeNano, iVoluptuousClassic, iHaveNotBeenTouchedForALongTime
  • Reply 30 of 61
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Some may question if this is overkill or if people would actually use it. But if this is simply a software addition to existing touches and iPhones, then the price barrier to enter is relatively low. And most people already bring their phones or iPods to the gym anyway, so no need to carry around yet another device. This could also replace the notebooks you'll see people carrying around the gym to record their workouts.

But I think the real benefit is in planning/organizing workouts. It's not just about recording what you did, it's also important to plan what you are going to do. If a good software program can help me do that, sign me up!

One poster said that the people who already work out don't need this. I think that is untrue. I know many people who go to the gym and just make up their workout on-the-fly. They usually get bored or find themselves in a rut of doing the same exercises over and over. I've attended the resistance training classes at my gym (Bally's calls it PowerFlex), not because I didn't know how to do all the exercises on my own, but because it provided a structured environment in which to make sure I did them all, and in the correct order (yes, it matters). Something like this could help make sure I don't forget about an exercise or forget what amount of weight I used last time, etc.

Edit: And offer modules for specific training goals...running a marathon, training for a triathlon, etc.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy View Post

This system NEEDS to have diet and food management built in. Anyone can exercise a little but without calorie tracking, its worthless.

Correction: if you want to lose fat significantly, you would do well to track calories. You would also do well to not stuff yourself, to exercise, to eat healthy foods, to get enough sleep, and to eat frequently. Tracking calories is, in fact, the only thing on that list that has *no* effect by itself.

Tracking is unnecessary for most people. Starting with those who don't need to lose fat, followed by those who need to lose so little of it that simple, obvious lifestyle corrections like no longer drink a six-pack per day give enough results.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    For this to be really useful, the battery in the iPod will need to be much bigger.

Never going to get those fat people moving without a good electrical charge administered on plan through sensors wired to your butt.

The iZap.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

This could also replace the notebooks you'll see people carrying around the gym to record their workouts.

You've got to be kidding. People bring notebooks to the gym? Forget the notebook. Pump iron.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Excellent.

It fills another hole in the Mac software lineup, adds value to iLife and Mac purchases and juices iPod sales all at the same time.

I hope they're almost ready to go with it though.

Between the patent filing and this article, competitors have enough to get moving on alternatives.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:

aimed a helping americans

Hey, we may be a bunch of imperialists that are looking for ways to invade more countries, pollute more and become even fatter, but you are still supposed to capitalize our nationality!

I love the idea of this system. Will it work for non-continuous walking? I'd like my iPhone to work as a pedometer that counts steps throughout the day. I think my Nike+iPod will say, "Hey, you're just sitting there, fat ass! Your current pace is 8 yards per hour -- molasses flows at 10 yards per hour."

I also love the integrative aspects of the invention. The iPhone will catch you staring hypnotically at the ass of the woman on the elliptical trainer in front of yours and ask you, "You're married, right?" or worse, it'll SMS your wife saying, "That horn dog of a husband of yours it at it again!"

Getting the spirituality in it also opens up new possibilities. "C'mon! Do two more bicep curls for the sake of Phoebus Apollo!!"
  • Reply 36 of 61
    palominepalomine Posts: 363member
    Quote:

A second segment of the interview process would then question the user about his or her health history (allergies, asthma, back pain, and diabetes), current medications, and family health history

This is gonna be a killer app! No Pun at all. Some suggestions for the next development of this software below.

To Apple:

There are plenty of people who are really struggling to take control over their health. They would like to experiment with more natural methods but need a reliable way to track all sorts of things to be able to tell if they are succeeding. Next time could we have an app more medical in nature? The aging population as well as anyone who is sick, need a way to track everything from vitamins/moods/symptoms/body functions (customize your own). Say an asthmatic is tracking his diet and medications. Or someone with prostate problems is tracking a medication's effect vs. a 3 week trial with an herbal supplement.

Can we have something to track physical exercise that isn't specifically competitive?

There are some companies making medical diaries,but you can bet the user interface is lousy.

here's some links to those:

http://www.phtcorp.com/products/product%5Fsuite/

http://www.unitedbiosource.com/ivr-diaries.aspx

http://www.download32.com/medical-diary-software.html

Please include Medscape's drug interaction checker:

http://www.medscape.com/druginfo/dru...hecker?src=ads

Apple could get it right. There's a whole new market demographic waiting that would love to have an excuse to buy an ipod or iphone. I've seen an 85 year old pick up the iphone and navigate it easily.

Thanks Apple
  • Reply 37 of 61
    wjhmhwjhmh Posts: 55member
    There was a program called Cyber Trainer used in various gyms back in the mid to late 90's, this looks like more like a pocket sized version of it.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Let's hope they announce this soon, cause I'm just about to rejoin the gym.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    iHad a feeling Apple would be getting deeper into this segment of the market. iKnew the Nike partnership was just them dipping their toe into the water like they always do when evaluating feedback from customers.

Apple getting into the dating market is only a heartbeat away!
  • Reply 40 of 61
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

One poster said that the people who already work out don't need this. I think that is untrue. I know many people who go to the gym and just make up their workout on-the-fly. They usually get bored or find themselves in a rut of doing the same exercises over and over.

What these people need is 1) direction/goal, and 2) a simple workout to reach that goal. Doing the same exercises over and over, correctly, using their brain, knowing what the exercise has to do with their goal, is exactly what people should be doing to get results. Eliminate complexity, don't add it with a complexity-managing and encouraging widget. The challenge in resistance exercise is supposed to come from... any guesses?