Stupid Windows...Question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all.

I set up a cheapie XP box to pipe netflix and hulu movies to my TV and, when I got it all installed and up and running, the stupid thing doesn't see the mobo sound card. Does anyone know if there's a way to find out what friggin' drivers I need for this stupid thing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Try using Unknown Devices.

It evaluates all unknown drivers by ID and matches them against a database. If you don't know what to do next report back and either I, or hopefully someone else, may be able to help out.

If this PC is from a major brand, check their website for drivers. Look for a 'chipset driver'.

If your audio is integrated (e.g. AC97) that may solve all your remaining driver problems.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Try using Unknown Devices.

It evaluates all unknown drivers by ID and matches them against a database. If you don't know what to do next report back and either I, or hopefully someone else, may be able to help out.

If this PC is from a major brand, check their website for drivers. Look for a 'chipset driver'.

If your audio is integrated (e.g. AC97) that may solve all your remaining driver problems.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot tonight. The PC is a no-name (although the logo is green and kind of looks like the old cingular logo). I picked it up from a friend who picked it up from our university's property control for $40.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Good luck... driver hunting can be a pain in the ass.

You probably just need a chipset driver, and those are usually findable.

Edit: And if you can't find it, try to reply with the model number of your motherboard.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Good luck... driver hunting can be a pain in the ass.

You probably just need a chipset driver, and those are usually findable.

Edit: And if you can't find it, try to reply with the model number of your motherboard.

How would I find the mobo model?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

How would I find the mobo model?

It would be printed on the motherboard itself... somewhere...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

It would be printed on the motherboard itself... somewhere...

Harumph. I seem to need RAM, as well, if I want to watch Netflix movies. Gawd I wish they'd make that service available for the Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    You absolutely rock! It immediately found my chipset, google got me to the manufacturer, and now hulu, netflix, and fancast stream *perfectly*.

Thanks a million!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    You're welcome. I did this crap for a living for four years. The least I can do is muster out one more attempt at fixing Windows problems for a fellow Mac enthusiast — even if fixing Windows is roughly comparable to passing a kidney stone. :P

P.S. Utah, eh? I grew up in SLC. Beautiful mountains.

P.P.S. Feed XP at least 512 MBs RAM. Keep it fully up to date, always. It can get malware just by being connected to the internet. If concerned, consider investing in Nod32, the finest anti-virus program ever conceived by man.