TiVo HD and the Mac User. Your experiences?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm very seriously looking at getting a TiVo HD. For those of you Mac users that already have one, what's your experience been like overall and with Mac compatibility? What sort of positive or negative issues are there with photo viewing, music sharing, etc.?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I totally put this in the wrong forum. Sorry mods, but can you please move this to General Discussion? Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I totally put this in the wrong forum. Sorry mods, but can you please move this to General Discussion? Thanks.

Of course!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    No replies yet? Well, my experience is with a Series 2 Tivo. It was able to see my iPhoto albums and iTunes playlists without a problem and I was also able to see saved content through Safari by entering its IP address. I was then able to download and convert the tivo files to mpeg.

I haven't done this in awhile since I changed to a comcast box for HD content.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

No replies yet? Well, my experience is with a Series 2 Tivo. It was able to see my iPhoto albums and iTunes playlists without a problem and I was also able to see saved content through Safari by entering its IP address. I was then able to download and convert the tivo files to mpeg.

I haven't done this in awhile since I changed to a comcast box for HD content.

I also have the Series2 DT and it has been fine with the Mac. The only glitch I have run into is with sharing my iTunes. My iTunes library is on an external drive and while TiVo appears to be able to see the library, playlists and songs, it is unable to play them. I turned on TiVo logging and it seems that the web server that TiVo is using to share the media is appending a 1 onto the volume name, which then cannot be found for playing. If the library is moved onto the built in drive, there is no problem.

As far as bringing media from the TiVo to the Mac, TiVo has a Mac utility called TiVo Transfer that lets you browse all saved shows and download them to the Mac. It also hooks into Toast (I think it actually came with Toast) and lets you burn the files to a disc. Toast handles the file conversion to DVD format, but it is very, very slow. You can also use an open source AppleScript util, called TiVo Decoder that will convert it to MPEG2. It is pretty fast but I find the video gets distorted.