Separate iTunes Libraries (Music, Movies, TV Shows...etc)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I don't think this is quite the same question that has been asked here several times.

I would like to have Music, Podcasts in one folder and Movies and TV Shows in another folder. I don't want to hold the option key while executing iTunes, I just want iTunes to find my music in its normal place (home > Music > iTunes) and have iTunes to see my movies and TV shows in another (external drive > movies > My Movies).

I can't find anywhere where this is done. Is this possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    It's currently not possible. It's very high on my wishlist.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    On my list too. Though I would like to be able to have multiple folders of each type, or to have iTunes access multiple libraries at one time. And how about multiple people (accounts) accessing the same library at the same time.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I don't think this is quite the same question that has been asked here several times.

I would like to have Music, Podcasts in one folder and Movies and TV Shows in another folder. I don't want to hold the option key while executing iTunes, I just want iTunes to find my music in its normal place (home > Music > iTunes) and have iTunes to see my movies and TV shows in another (external drive > movies > My Movies).

I can't find anywhere where this is done. Is this possible?

You could do it if you disallow iTunes from managing your library for you. If you manually add media files to the iTunes library and manually manage the file structure where the files are stored, this would be possible.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    I have my movies/TV shows in a separate folder from my music like so:

~/Music/MP3s/

~/Movies/iPhone/

As Kishan said, you juts have to enable manual library management in the iTunes prefs and then you can move the files to wherever you want.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Thanks for the responses. I'll try that when I get home.

Does Front Row still find all your stuff OK with manual library management?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Yes, Front Row can find them as long as iTunes can.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Hey, just wanted to thank everyone again. I was able to do this. Everything still looks good in iTunes and Front Row!