"My" Copy & Paste

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
This is the way I want copy & paste of text to be implemented on zi silly iPhone. I wrote about this 6 months ago, but it's easier to comprehend with screenshots.

Step one; decide on the section of text to you want to copy.

Step two; position the magnifier at the point where that section of text begins.

Step three; hold that position for just under two seconds, or until the text selector changes color [to green in this case].

Step four; slide the magnifier to the point where you want your text selection to end.

Step five; notice your highlighted text, release your finger to dispel the magnifier.

Hey-presto your contextual menu appears with various options: Copy, Cut, Paste, Delete, Cancel etc.

When you do these 5 easy steps in succession [in real time], it's a very smooth, quick and seamless experience. To me this seems like a very Apple way to copy & paste here, with no tapping or extra buttons needed. Just a very simple procedure that could be demoed by that guy on Apple's site in 30 seconds, and would be very tricky to ever do by accident, and even at that there's always "Cancel".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Sounds fine... although it sure is beginning to feel like we'll never see copy and paste on this dang phone! :-)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

Sounds fine... although it sure is beginning to feel like we'll never see copy and paste on this dang phone! :-)

You mean "Sounds Amazing!"

And I remain positive, as I don't want to have to smack Steve Jobs all over the shop!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    lol, Hopefully the CCP solution apple settles on is compatible with my massive thumbs. I like your idea but grimace whenever it is necessary to move the text insertion cursor. It normally takes at least a few seconds to get the insertion point accurately placed. Hence, the time-delay for triggering the copy command might be an issue.

Maybe that guy who got thumb-reduction surgery was onto something. Betcha he'd be able to CCP like nobody's business.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

lol, Hopefully the CCP solution apple settles on is compatible with my massive thumbs. I like your idea but grimace whenever it is necessary to move the text insertion cursor. It normally takes at least a few seconds to get the insertion point accurately placed. Hence, the time-delay for triggering the copy command might be an issue.

Maybe that guy who got thumb-reduction surgery was onto something. Betcha he'd be able to CCP like nobody's business.

You use your thumbs to bring up the magnifier? Use a finger instead.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I'd prefer this (very similar) solution:

1. Use the magnifier ...

2. Click a button (with the other finger) to start marking / selectring ... for example replace the backspace button with a select button.

3. Drag the magnifier to select text.

4. Keyboard is replaced with the menu described above.

And to paste, add another button to the keyboard ... who needs the "world button" when using the magnifier?

Or just use one button: Tip = mark / select, hold down = paste
  • Reply 6 of 7
    How do you paste the copied text then? I think holding the mag glass for a few secs until the text marker turns green and then just releasing it (without moving) and a contextual menu appears offering a "past" option? Or just pasting the next?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

How do you paste the copied text then?

Do the same thing with the magnifier in any text box, and choose "paste" from the pop-up contextual menu instead of "copy".