Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Inc. this week began testing Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update, a third maintenance and security update to its relatively new Leopard operating system that already bundles over 75 bug fixes and code corrections.

The Mac maker on Thursday informed its vast developer community of the availability of Mac OS X 10.5.3 Build 9D10, a pre-release copy of the software update featuring a focus list spanning some two dozen core components.

Among those components in need of evaluation, people familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider, are AddressBook, AppleScript, Audio, Back To My Mac, Dashboard, the Dock, DVD Player, Finder, Graphics, iCal, Mail, Portable Home Directories, Printing, Rosetta, Spaces, Spotlight, Time Machine, and VoiceOver.

In a set of developer notes reported to have accommodated the update, Apple is also said to have listed 75 code corrections that have already been baked into this first external build, including two aimed at critical memory leaks within CoreAnimation and iCal.

Other fixes target Dashboard, iCal alarms and syncing, Installer App, Spotlight indexing, PDFs within the Preview App, Mail alarms, Spaces, Stacks and the Dock.

Mac OS X 10.5.3 is presumed for a release sometime in April or May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Good. Time to fix DVD playback on Macbooks.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Harumph!

No mention of fixing the Airport drivers broken by 10.5.2.

C.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    How about airport drivers that have never worked right since 10.5.0? I am still waiting on consistent connections on my (Non broadcasted SSID) Netgear and Linksys routers. Can you do this for me please Apple?
  • Reply 4 of 63
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    What about the forced restart after sleep issue?
  • Reply 5 of 63
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Will they fix the Finder so it automatically remembers view settings for each folder?
  • Reply 6 of 63
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    I'd be happy if (someday) "Back to My Mac" started working.

I have brand new top-of-the-line Mac computers at both ends, all Mac brand new networking hardware at home and a University based connection to the Internet backbone at work but still "Back to My Mac" just doesn't work. From what I can gather informally, the same is true of about 60% of the people who have tried it.

I must admit, as much as I love Apple products I am quite surprised that we are already talking about the third update to Leopard and yet some of the *primary* promised features of Leopard still don't work for large numbers of Leopard users.

If someone told me this would be the case last year when we were all waiting for Leopard to come out, I would have thought them a bit crazy. Surely Apple would not do that?
  • Reply 7 of 63
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

What about the forced restart after sleep issue?

If you're speaking of the Mac Pro restart issue, that has been fixed through yesterdays firmware update. Check your software update.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Anyone out there have it to test? I don't want anyone to break a NDA, but can someone post a few specifics about the fixes?

Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I have brand new top-of-the-line Mac computers at both ends, all Mac brand new networking hardware at home and a University based connection to the Internet backbone at work but still "Back to My Mac" just doesn't work. From what I can gather informally, the same is true of about 60% of the people who have tried it.

If the router at work does not support UPnP or NAT-PNP, which is often the case, because these features may cause security problems, then "back to my mac" cannot and will not work.

You may be able to reach the mac at home from the mac at work, but no chance to reach the mac at work from the mac at home.

This is not a Back To My Mac bug, this is a restriction from the network at work.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    I want auto spell correction for Mail, Office and any other apps out there, just like on my iPhone!!!

I find while typing an email on my Mac, that when I look up after done typing to see all these misspellings that get taken care of if I were typing the email out on my iPhone....
  • Reply 11 of 63
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I want auto spell correction for Mail, Office and any other apps out there, just like on my iPhone!!!

I find while typing an email on my Mac, that when I look up after done typing to see all these misspellings that get taken care of if I were typing the email out on my iPhone....

OS X has had a system-wide spell-checking system from the beginning. Apple's apps, including Mail*, use it; it's up to third-party programmers whether they use Apple's system or not.

* look:

• Reply 12 of 63
    Portable Home Directory?

I was not aware that capability existed today, sweet.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a set of developer notes reported to have accommodated the update.

Don't you mean accompanied?
  • Reply 14 of 63
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoc View Post

If the router at work does not support UPnP or NAT-PNP, which is often the case, because these features may cause security problems, then "back to my mac" cannot and will not work.

You may be able to reach the mac at home from the mac at work, but no chance to reach the mac at work from the mac at home.

This is not a Back To My Mac bug, this is a restriction from the network at work.

Don't assume that is the problem. I have Airport Extreme routers at home and work which both support NAT-PNP and have it turned on, and it still doesn't work for me. From work, I can see my Mac at home, but it just won't connect.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple, please, please, please: Disk Utility permission repair, much, much, much faster!!! Thanks.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    hansiihansii Posts: 13member
    Hopefully they will make each space remember which application was active last time that space was used, I hate it when I switch to an empty space and then back and end up having all the finder windows on top of what I was doing.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

OS X has had a system-wide spell-checking system from the beginning. Apple's apps, including Mail*, use it; it's up to third-party programmers whether they use Apple's system or not.

* look:

<snip>

I think the poster is looking for spell correction, not just spell checking. On the iPhone, your misspelled words will actually get corrected for you. I don't see where that's done on the Mac at all.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think the poster is looking for spell correction, not just spell checking. On the iPhone, your misspelled words will actually get corrected for you. I don't see where that's done on the Mac at all.

Ah, I see. You mean replacing a miss-spelt word without any user interaction? Yeah, desktop OS X doesn't do that.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    kooliokoolio Posts: 11member
    How about fixing the issue where MacBooks don't go into sleep mode when it's connected to an external monitor. Currently, the only way to get it to sleep is to manually do it.

That's a glaring bug that needs to be fixed.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsheffie View Post

How about airport drivers that have never worked right since 10.5.0? I am still waiting on consistent connections on my (Non broadcasted SSID) Netgear and Linksys routers. Can you do this for me please Apple?

I completely agree.

I'm still amazed at how Apple can come out with a product like MacBook Air (which, btw, relies completely on wireless technology) without fixing the existing Airport issues.

I'm using a (relatively new) Intel MacBook running 10.5.2. My newtork consists of ALL Apple hardware; Airport Exreme w/ Gigabit, combined with an Airport Express to extend my network. The connection problems, drop-outs, etc. have been so bad that I've resorted to connecting my MacBook to the AE via a patch cable. It's ridiculous.

The 10.5.2 update, although supposedly corrected this issue, did NOTHING for me.

Apple... please:

1. Focus your attention on the issues of your existing customer base; your LOYAL, existing customer base. Chase after new customers once you've satisfied us, and...

2. STOP working to improve applications like Address Book. For God's sake... there are more important issues that you should be attending to.

I'm sorry, but MacBook Air is nothing without wireless technology that works. Put that thing back in the manilla envelope that you show in your commercials and mail it to someone who cares.