Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    How about fixing this one apple, when viewing/listening to a dvd/cd from a shared itunes library via front row, the artwork (CD covers/DVD Box Art) is blank. This worked in the leopard betas' but never has worked since release. I thought Apple was all about the experience, I guess they don't care about Front Row and shared libraries.

-Uberjason
  • Reply 22 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    [QUOTE=Mr. H;1234861]miss-speltE]

• Reply 23 of 63
    It would be nice if Mail's RSS feeds would update reliably.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Portable Home Directories.....?

....fianlly?
  • Reply 25 of 63
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Koolio View Post

How about fixing the issue where MacBooks don't go into sleep mode when it's connected to an external monitor. Currently, the only way to get it to sleep is to manually do it.

That's a glaring bug that needs to be fixed.

It's not a bug, it's supposed to happen. You can close the lid on your macbook with an external monitor, keyboard and power supply connected, and it'll act like a desktop Mac. The external display will become the main display, and the internal one will be switched off.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    Are you sure 10.5 is at fault? Many times wireless networks have problems because of interference caused by things like microwave ovens, 2.4GHz cordless phones, other nearby wireless networks, electrical interference, and so on.

I suggest looking into these possibilities before blaming the operating system. I have had absolutely flawless wireless operation on all the networks I frequent with 10.5.x; heck it's more reliable and the system joins networks much faster than it did with 10.4.

-Z

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drk_one View Post

I completely agree.

I'm still amazed at how Apple can come out with a product like MacBook Air (which, btw, relies completely on wireless technology) without fixing the existing Airport issues.

I'm using a (relatively new) Intel MacBook running 10.5.2. My newtork consists of ALL Apple hardware; Airport Exreme w/ Gigabit, combined with an Airport Express to extend my network. The connection problems, drop-outs, etc. have been so bad that I've resorted to connecting my MacBook to the AE via a patch cable. It's ridiculous.

The 10.5.2 update, although supposedly corrected this issue, did NOTHING for me.

• Reply 27 of 63
    Also no mention of fixing whatever it is that causes both Safari or Firefox to quit

or lock up several times a day under 10.5.2 on a MacBook.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think the poster is looking for spell correction, not just spell checking. On the iPhone, your misspelled words will actually get corrected for you. I don't see where that's done on the Mac at all.

Here's a thought: When you see the spell check, take it to memory and learn to spell.

The spell correction seems more targeted towards texting messages in a hurry and that's great, but when I'm writing a report I don't want the system wasting cycles constantly attempting to fix my writing, especially if I'm not using the system-wide hyphenation package [LaTeX comes to mind], et.al.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulJohnGriffin View Post

Also no mention of fixing whatever it is that causes both Safari or Firefox to quit

or lock up several times a day under 10.5.2 on a MacBook.

It's not just Macbooks. I have a MacPro (with the latest everything, but no mods), and Safari quits on me about 5 times a day. Usually it's when I (right click) summon a popup menu, but occasionally it's spontaneous.

"Reopen All Windows From Last Session" is my best friend.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scampercom View Post

It's not just Macbooks. I have a MacPro (with the latest everything, but no mods), and Safari quits on me about 5 times a day. Usually it's when I (right click) summon a popup menu, but occasionally it's spontaneous.

It's likely Safari's inability to render Flash very well. In all likelihood the Safari crashes, regardless of machine, video card, processor, etc., are on websites that use a lot of Flash or Flash plug ins.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    I just hope they can finally figure out how to not have the dock pop up into view after a few minutes of QuickTime player being put into fullscreen mode. This is extremely annoying.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Thanks for the update, I've heard April - It will be welcome. I like Leopard, but it is not as stable as tiger seemed to be. The OS also kills the RAM on my 1 gig ram macbook.

anyone else notice that this could be sped up? Let's get some 10.5.2 vs. 10.5.3 benchmarks in the house!

Thunk Different

• Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think the poster is looking for spell correction, not just spell checking. On the iPhone, your misspelled words will actually get corrected for you. I don't see where that's done on the Mac at all.

Office 2008 does correct as you type. <- see?
  • Reply 34 of 63
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scampercom View Post

Happens on a Power Mac G5 too (10.5.2).

It especially happens when a page loads a video.

Safari crashes much more often then on Tiger.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoc View Post

If the router at work does not support UPnP or NAT-PNP, which is often the case, because these features may cause security problems, then "back to my mac" cannot and will not work.

You may be able to reach the mac at home from the mac at work, but no chance to reach the mac at work from the mac at home.

This is not a Back To My Mac bug, this is a restriction from the network at work.

Actually, I have the reverse problem.

After much long, tedious troubleshooting I found a way (not mentioned on the Apple troubleshooting site), to get my Mac at work to show up from home. It's the home Mac that won't show up at work, and my home has a brand new Time Machine connected to my brand new Mac Pro and both have all the latest software and all the correct settings.

It could of course be something the University is doing on the network, but I have no way to know what to even ask about. The point is that *someone* (and by that I mean someone at Apple), should really have some idea what the problems are by now. The most frustrating thing about the whole issue is the very scanty information that Apple is giving out about it. Mostly they just quote a list of old routers that won't work, and that shite about UPnP which is like, the very first thing I checked months ago.

I'm sure there is a whole list of reasons why it won't work and also situations in which it can't work, but whatever they are, Apple is not telling anyone. That kind of sucks considering .Mac is a paid service. I blame the whole thing on the fact that Apple is hugely understaffed right now and flailing about madly trying to do the work of a much larger company.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Address Book?

Fingers-crossed that Apple restore full Bluetooth phone integration. This was a great feature of OS X right from the early days, but was removed from Leopard with no explanation.

3rd-party tools such as BluePhoneElite are poor replacements ? I've never had BPE work reliably with my phone. The return of complete BT support in Address Book, with one-click dialling, SMS texting and instant notification on incoming calls and messages would be excellent.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple, please, please, please: Disk Utility permission repair, much, much, much faster!!! Thanks.

Yes, it is soo annoying, I have even sent complaints.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    with any luck 10.5.3 will also elevate 10.5 server from the status of crapware to software.

the issue with OSX 10.5 server at the moment is that it fails to perform its basic function which is to serve files in a cross platform environment. Therefore they cannot call it a server........
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

If you're speaking of the Mac Pro restart issue, that has been fixed through yesterdays firmware update. Check your software update.

I took this to mean the problem on Macbook Pros where the screen remains black after waking from sleep. I've had to reinstall OSX twice now - the problem aparently is in a recent graphics update. If you've not been afflicted with this, you're lucky!
  • Reply 40 of 63
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Looking for a fix for the intermittent freezing problem when running 10.5.2 on the MacBook Pro

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1390673