Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Will they fix the Finder so it automatically remembers view settings for each folder?

Hi, I filed a bug report on this issue and Apple said that it behaves correctly.

Here is what they said:

Quote:

To appeal to many users' desire for a consistent browsing experience, the view style mechanism has changed in Leopard. To view all folders in your favorite view style you only need to click on the view style button once and you will remain in that view style.

To override this behavior for a particular folder, you can set your desired view style in view options. Just open that folder in your desired view style and open the view options window. Check the "Always open in X...", and that folder will always open in that view style.

I hope this make sense to you.

This is what I've been doing and it works.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    I wish they would fix the damn umask permissions errors in 10.5 server. I actually have to employ a script running every five minutes to propagate permissions on our file server. It's nightmarish.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    - Again, please fix Airport for real this time. Address Book can wait.

- It would be nice to use my remote to exit the screensaver as I could in 10.4
  • Reply 44 of 63
    mvhwmvhw Posts: 1member
    This might be too obvious for some, but have those of you having trouble connecting work and home computers (using airport base stations) enabled port forwarding or port mapping on the base station? I connect from work to home regularly. The home network uses an Airport Express. It will only work if the AE has port mapping enabled. For apple file sharing, the following ports must be mapped to whichever home computer is the required target: 548, 427.

At work it was necessary to ask my IT guys to open the same ports in their firewall to my specific computer.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'd be happy if (someday) "Back to My Mac" started working.

I have brand new top-of-the-line Mac computers at both ends, all Mac brand new networking hardware at home and a University based connection to the Internet backbone at work but still "Back to My Mac" just doesn't work. From what I can gather informally, the same is true of about 60% of the people who have tried it.

I work in Enterprise IT and we chase down such network insecurities all the time. Back to my Mac is basically a tunnel-through from your work place network back to your home network. A big no-no, and a serious potential insecurity. If you can tunnel through to get to your home machine, you can tunnel through to steal data.

If it did work you might even be violating your work's Acceptable Use Policy by circumventing network security efforts.

Don't make light of those efforts. Depending on where you work you could be fired for getting this service to work, whether or not you even know how it works from a technical angle. I know at ours you could.

With my home based network I can filter any protocol on TCP or UDP on any port. If I can do that at home on a 50 dollar router, I guaran-teeeee you it's being done by your workplace.

Use back-to-my Mac for getting back to your home PC from small office LANs or your local coffee shop where there is no industrial strength firewall. If you get it working again from work it will break again as your network engineers figure out it's working for you.

And if you're really smart DON'T tell everyone at work it functions next time

Adobe Flash carries some similar features in that you can remote control a system via a web site THROUGH most firewalls as configured. I reported this fact to our network engineers and they're busy trying to close that function loophole.

End of story - don't blame Apple.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I blame the whole thing on the fact that Apple is hugely understaffed right now and flailing about madly trying to do the work of a much larger company.

Right on! I couldn't have said it better.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Right on! I couldn't have said it better.

Understaffed how?

Flailing how?
  • Reply 48 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

OS X has had a system-wide spell-checking system from the beginning. Apple's apps, including Mail*, use it; it's up to third-party programmers whether they use Apple's system or not.

* look:

Thank you for your post but, I've had this feature enabled for years.

JupiterOne knows what I'm looking for.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulJohnGriffin View Post

Also no mention of fixing whatever it is that causes both Safari or Firefox to quit

or lock up several times a day under 10.5.2 on a MacBook.

I would guess that the cause is the flash plugin, the most hideous ugly pos software ever to escape the elephants ass that is Adobe.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Norman Terry View Post

I wish they would fix the damn umask permissions errors in 10.5 server. I actually have to employ a script running every five minutes to propagate permissions on our file server. It's nightmarish.

....likewise... I cannot believe how sloppy 10.5 server is

how the hell can they foist that piece of crap upon us?????? It is simply not ready for for sale. If you have to fix a permission everytime you make a folder or file or when ever a SMB client tries to connect AFP dies in the arse then there are serious issues with it.

Apple must have know about these issues yet they falsely advertise it on their web site as being windows and mac friendly and so simple to set up that you do not need a network administrator.... load of crap.

I bet Vista didn't have the sort of basic issues that OSX10.5 has.....
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

how the hell can they foist that piece of crap upon us?????? It is simply not ready for for sale. If you have to fix a permission everytime you make a folder or file or when ever a SMB client tries to connect AFP dies in the arse then there are serious issues with it.

Apple must have know about these issues yet they falsely advertise it on their web site as being windows and mac friendly and so simple to set up that you do not need a network administrator.... load of crap.

No network admin is what gets me. I want to see joe blow user configure DNS. Plus the absolute cluster that is apple's implementation of SMB and open directory. 10.4 server is still on all of our useful machines with one lone 10.5 server running nothing but ical server. And it still has to be shut down about every two or three days because there are so man memory leaks in it.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

And your right about vista they don't even have file permissions. Everyone can get to them. But seriously even file locking doesn't work on the new M$ server.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Are you sure 10.5 is at fault? Many times wireless networks have problems because of interference caused by things like microwave ovens, 2.4GHz cordless phones, other nearby wireless networks, electrical interference, and so on.

I suggest looking into these possibilities before blaming the operating system. I have had absolutely flawless wireless operation on all the networks I frequent with 10.5.x; heck it's more reliable and the system joins networks much faster than it did with 10.4.

-Z

For me it is 10.5 completely. In fact after 6 phone calls and almost 12 hours of phone support apple even had me install a data probe on my machine to try and solve it... which they could not, but said they would work on it and try o have it fixed in the next release (10.5.2). It isn't a hardware issue either. It is 10.5.x and persists across clean reinstalls.

Broadcast the SSID and turn of mac address filtering and all is well... all the time, but I am not going to do that.

I am completely happy that you are having a flawless experience, because I want Apple to do very well, but for me... I am seriously considering going back to tiger (my other MBP has it installed and has no problems with either router at either location.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Will they fix the Finder so it automatically remembers view settings for each folder?

Oh would that be nice! This can't be all that hard. It is so frustrating when folders do not remember who they are anymore.

And adding some speed (or memory) to 'Stoplight' would be nice. Why must it render the same icons over and over again? Can't it render a Word doc icon & the cache the damn thing someplace for instant retrieval? It finds 12,000 "hits" & I must wait for 12,000 icons to be rendered before the spinning beachball stops! This thing is fracking worthless.

PLEASE PUT BLUETOOTH back into Address Book! Please! When I downgraded from Tiger to Leper, I lost the ability to dial my cell phone directly out of AB. ANd I lost the ability to connect the two for many other purposes. I really miss this.

Let me turn Stacks off completely, please. Let me navigate folders in the Dock the Jaguar, Panther, Tiger way - you know, fast instead of dog-butt Leper slow.

Return my AirPort range to me! Give me back my lost bars!!! Going from 10.4.11 to 10.5.2, I lost 53 feet of AirPort connectivity at home.

Make iCal worth using again. I used to be able to set an appointment with one or two clicks. Now it takes around 8 clicks and 3 separate windows - it's painful to use this thing now. Apple has turned a promising and much-needed application into a real pain in the arse.

Stop Safari from crashing 2 or 3 times a day. Or, just keep fooling Windows users into downloading it, and we'll all go use Firefox.

Return some speed to the Finder. 10.5 Finder is a parade of beachballs.

Have the Finder show me what's real. After I updated iPhoto 6.0.6 to 7.1.2, when I did a "Show in Finder" from the Dock, Finder would tell me this was 6.0.6 but QuickView would tell me 7.1.2. Same with other app updates. Refresh the Finder, and for heaven's sake, remove some of that code bloat and make this thing fly, will ya?

That's not even 10% of what's wrong with Leper and what I need taken care of... but for now, I'm outta time.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    The thing that I hope they fix is iCal and Mail- those are my only two issues Ive had. iCal doesn't delete to-do items after they have passed, Ive posted here on the issue and nothing Ive tried has worked ie; del prefs, create new user account to see if mine was corrupted, fixed permissions...still hs yet to work properly like in 10.4.

Mail has a weird quirk of wanting to connect to my outgoing server and have to tell it to use it, and it just doesn't do it automatically like in 10.4, it is sporadic so it may just be my wireless signal or something.. Im not real sure though.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Norman Terry View Post

No network admin is what gets me. I want to see joe blow user configure DNS. Plus the absolute cluster that is apple's implementation of SMB and open directory. 10.4 server is still on all of our useful machines with one lone 10.5 server running nothing but ical server. And it still has to be shut down about every two or three days because there are so man memory leaks in it.

I am not a network administrator. I really no nothing about it and nor should I. I am meant to fit into Apple's domain. And this is the core reason I urged my practice to adopt OSX as a server. It is just meant to work. We waited, not wanting to be early adopters and jumped onboard with 10.5.2. (well actually 10.5.1 but there was a suggestion that 10.5.2 was imminent).

The first Issue we had was getting our Leopard clients DNS working (10.4 clients had no issue). We ended up using IP's (you know the number thing like this 103.94.04.105...) to get it to work. That cost us $300AUD to get right, plus many hours of lost productivity in trying to solve the issue. Let's call that outlay $1000AUD ($900 US). So with one issue, a significant outlay that involved external support. We have also spent another $2000 installing and configuring and we have the most basic network in the world - 8 Macs, 2 PCs, Mac Pro as a server and a Photocopier which can run on FTP and SMB. So in all we have the kind of network that Apple sugests the average Joe can administer. Well they are right..... we administer the procurement of technical expertise to keep the thing running

Now the issue is (well another issue), Apple's attitude is that it is our problem because we should have tested the system to establish its viability. Well when their web site tells me that it works and that is simple to install and I am a small business what am I meant to do???

They said we should use 10.4. Well you cannot buy new hardware that will support 10.4 server and you cannot buy 10.4 server (which apparently is really good!)

As for Vista I am speaking right out of camp.... I don't even know what it looks like. I live in a little haven of Macs with the odd XP thrown in for good measure.

humph....
  • Reply 57 of 63
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple, please, please, please: Disk Utility permission repair, much, much, much faster!!! Thanks.

Repair Permissions doesn't need to be fast. It's a function that needs to be used only rarely. If you're running it every day, then stop doing that and you will reclaim much more wasted time than you would by Apple speeding RP up by some marginal amount.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    flyfly Posts: 6member
    Well no one in these replies seem to have mention MY MAIN ISSUE with Leopard:

The complete inability to do a search on a USB connected Hard Drive !!! It yields absolutely no results, but oddly, it works on my USB flash drive. Hmm...

I have 4 USB2 LaCie Porsche Design 500GB USB drives and can't search anything in them. Real PITA.

Even doubleclicking a drive to open it in a new window and typing in the search field that is plainly visible in the root level of the drive will yield zero results!!! wether by content, name contains, name starts with, etc...

I never was much of a "Spotlight" fan, took me a long time to accept it, and now that I finally can coexist with it, they turn it into a totally worse beast... Man I miss doing my searches in Panther!

ALSO: how about the ability to search SPECIFIC destinations? I have 6 drives total (2 int., 4 ext.) I want to be able to do what was possible in previous OS's: select which drives I want to search.

Another step backwards, like always... At least we now have some control over those pesky "stacks" and can have our folders in the dock behave pretty much the same then they did in Tiger... Someone must have been very high to come up with that idea... Totally useless crap if you ask me, and so butt ugly and annoying it doesn't even qualify as Eye Candy.

C'mon Apple... Get a grip !!!

Note: I barely got started, there are way too many issues for me to use it regularly on my machines.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    sonadowsonadow Posts: 13member
    i hope that 10.5.3 contains more security updates and patches.

the 'Macbook Air broken into under 2 minutes' is now like the talk of PC/Windows fans who are mocking the so-called secure UNIX core system and OS X. -.-
  • Reply 60 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fly View Post

Well no one in these replies seem to have mention MY MAIN ISSUE with Leopard:

The complete inability to do a search on a USB connected Hard Drive !!! It yields absolutely no results, but oddly, it works on my USB flash drive. Hmm...

I have 4 USB2 LaCie Porsche Design 500GB USB drives and can't search anything in them. Real PITA.

Even doubleclicking a drive to open it in a new window and typing in the search field that is plainly visible in the root level of the drive will yield zero results!!! wether by content, name contains, name starts with, etc...

I never was much of a "Spotlight" fan, took me a long time to accept it, and now that I finally can coexist with it, they turn it into a totally worse beast... Man I miss doing my searches in Panther!

ALSO: how about the ability to search SPECIFIC destinations? I have 6 drives total (2 int., 4 ext.) I want to be able to do what was possible in previous OS's: select which drives I want to search.

Another step backwards, like always... At least we now have some control over those pesky "stacks" and can have our folders in the dock behave pretty much the same then they did in Tiger... Someone must have been very high to come up with that idea... Totally useless crap if you ask me, and so butt ugly and annoying it doesn't even qualify as Eye Candy.

C'mon Apple... Get a grip !!!

Note: I barely got started, there are way too many issues for me to use it regularly on my machines.

interesting. I just tried to do a search on all of my USB2 drives and spotlight worked so fast i was not able to finish typing and it had my results. Maybe your drives have never been indxed? IDK

Also, I have no trouble selecting the different drives from the finder/spotlight window i am searching.

0 problems with searches on any drives here.