Acronyms ? What do they all mean?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There are so many acronyms flying around these days. For instance, CLI, GUI, API, IDE, WYSIWYG, etc. And those are just the computer-related ones!

If you want to know what they all are, don't hesitate to post here!

P.S. No fanatical hatefests please. If you have a quarrel with something, post it on the appropriate thread. This is a "What does this mean?" thread only!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
  • Reply 2 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member

Best guesses:

cli = common library interface

gui = graphical user interface

api = application programming interface

ide = integrated development environment (inexpensive drive electronics is defunct)

wysiwyg = what you see is what you get

Let me know my test score. I do some business with a well known client that is well known to love acronyms. I agree that it's very annoying and intimidating at first. All of the documentation I produce has a chapter on "terms used" (the workflow, by the way, is InCopy + InDesign ... death to MS Word!).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    If you work for IBM there are so many acronyms used that they have an internal website just for listing them all.

There's even a plug-in you can get for Lotus Notes that searches for acronyms for you.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Let me know my test score. I do some business with a well known client that is well known to love acronyms. I agree that it's very annoying and intimidating at first. All of the documentation I produce has a chapter on "terms used" (the workflow, by the way, is InCopy + InDesign ... death to MS Word!).

You got 80%! (4/5 that is). Turns out CLI stands for Command-Line Interface. Like MS-DOS, UNIX, etc. (Although I could never have come up with "Common Library Interface".)

I browsed it for a few minutes. Looks informative.

P.S. Speaking of UNIX...what does that stand for?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    TLA = Three Letter Acronyms

Cheers
  • Reply 6 of 8
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roostajoe View Post

P.S. Speaking of UNIX...what does that stand for?

It doesn't stand for anything. It's just a silly pun on Multics. Much in the same way that Linux is a pun on Unix.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    My all time favorite was always TWAIN, although a little pre-post wiki-ing throws doubt on the acronymness of it.

Damn, I should have never checked!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

It doesn't stand for anything. It's just a silly pun on Multics. Much in the same way that Linux is a pun on Unix.

I see.