Wireless Application Help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I work at a production facility (tee shirts, embroidery, etc). We have 5 macs in our art department. We produce film through a machine called an oyo, which basically acts like a printer to the computers. We just remodeled our art department and I no longer want to have cords running to these printers.

I tried buying the airport options, but they wouldnt work with the printers, which take a 2.0 usb. Anyone know of any options to cut my cords free?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,223moderator
    You can buy a Mac Mini, plug all the printers into it and turn on printer sharing.

It doesn't have to be a fast mini, even an old G4 one will do fine - they all have airport included.

You should be able to control it remotely too if you need to cancel print jobs or restart the print queue and it will remember all the jobs that have been printed.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can buy a Mac Mini, plug all the printers into it and turn on printer sharing...

MAYBE. This could work, but you may want to test it out first.

You said they are "Like" printers in that they use USB. But you'll find that there are plenty of USB devices that can be plugged in to a computer that are not "Shareable" in the way mentioned above! Cameras come to mind, as do microphones/headsets. It's likely that his "oyo" is not seen as a printer, but rather just a USB device.