How to access my PC from my MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well I just got my MacBook my first mac ever. I am so excited. I am wondering though how to access my files on my pc over my network. Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skives View Post

Well I just got my MacBook my first mac ever. I am so excited. I am wondering though how to access my files on my pc over my network. Can anyone help me?

If you have file sharing turned on from your PC and both are on the same network, the file share should just show up on your Mac in Finder.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    skivesskives Posts: 50member
    I have file sharing turned on but I cannot see my pc on my mac
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skives View Post

I have file sharing turned on but I cannot see my pc on my mac

Can you ping the PC by name or IP? Try browsing to it directly from Finder:

Go menu->Connect to server...

enter smb://[IP Address or machine name of PC]

press Connect

it should then present you with a list of shares on the PC, if they are available and the PC is reachable.

This is assuming it is not visible in the sidebar of a Finder Window.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Share some folders on your PC, by right-clicking on them, and selecting 'Share...' (if you go to the Advanced Sharing option, under Properties, you can hide a share on the network, by placing a '$' the the end of the shared folder's name).

Once you've shared a folder, it should show up when you click on the PC's name in Finder, under the Shared menu.

To connect to a hidden share, you need to use the 'Connect to Server' option above.

(smb://computer-name/share$)

You can also setup WINS and workgroup properties on your Mac, by going into the Advanced->WINS tab of the Network properties.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If you have file sharing turned on from your PC and both are on the same network, the file share should just show up on your Mac in Finder.

exactly what he said. The PC's should look like this:

• Reply 6 of 9
    If you're trying to get a Vista PC to show up automatically in Finder on the sidebar you need to turn "Password protected sharing" off on your Vista PC. Took me a few days to figure out why my XP machines were showing up but not Vista.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMFlash View Post

If you're trying to get a Vista PC to show up automatically in Finder on the sidebar you need to turn "Password protected sharing" off on your Vista PC. Took me a few days to figure out why my XP machines were showing up but not Vista.

No you don't.

When you connect for the first time, Leopard will ask you for the username and password of the share that you're trying to connect to. In my case, since I'm the only user on my Vista box, and I disabled guest sharing and things like that, I'm the only one that can connect.

It works identical to connecting to a SMB share on a Windows domain.

It usually just works. (although occasionally, I'll still an error -36 at home )
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I think the phase of the moon or the tide has more to do with it than anything else. Almost 9 times out of 10 I can't get Leopard and Vista to network properly. Then out of the blue, with no interaction from me at all, they start. Then they stop again.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

exactly what he said. The PC's should look like this:

Wow bobonthis you are hysterical.. I guess we can look forward to you continuing to contributing nothing to this forum in the near future.