Exclusive preview: Delicious Monster's Delicious Library 2.0

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

I believe Kasper contacted you regarding the DL 2.0 article.

It is not a paid story.

I've responded to Kasper. I only ask that you review my comments seriously.

I have the best interests of this site in mind and it will only improve the journalistic integrity of the reporting, regardless of where one falls on the issue of compensation.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not at all. I have a problem with expanding coverage and being paid for it without disclosure. Are you familiar with the term "conflict of interest"? It's something that "journalists" are concerned about. Otherwise, it's just advertising.

Spam, I already sent you a polite note on this. AppleInsider never accepts money for the content it produces. Please just drop it cause you're starting to sound foolish, and at this point you're irritating a lot of people for no good reason -- including myself as a publisher, Prince who spend countless hours authoring the piece, and the forum administrators who have to keep defending AppleInsider against false accusations.

We though DL was one of the better examples of a native Mac OS X application and sought out details on the future version ON OUR OWN because we thought readers would find it interesting. Obviously, as you have proven, not everyone enjoyed it. But we can't please everyone with every single piece.

Having to monitor this thread and your constant accusations is taking away time from producing new content, which is not in the best interest of AppleInsider and its readers. I'm really not sure what else to tell you short of suggesting you contact a representative of Delicious Monster if you fail to take my honest to god word for it.

None of us who work hard on AppleInsider every single day of our lives appreciate this.

K
  • Reply 63 of 89
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

AppleInsider never accepts money for the content it produces. Please just drop it cause you're starting to sound foolish. We though DL was one of the better examples of a native Mac OS X application and sought out details on our own because we thought readers would find them interesting.

Please stop spreading false information. None of us who work hard on AppleInsider every single day of our lives appreciate this kind of nonsense.

Thanks,

K

I am not in the business of spreading false information. Let's continue this conversation via private message Kaspar. I already responded to your comment since audiopollution notified me that one had been sent to me, and I think this should be addressed off the forum.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Thanks to everyone for taking what should have been a private conversation, em, er, ah, eh, well... private.

To the guys at AI, I appreciate the original content and all your efforts, keep up the good work!
  • Reply 65 of 89
    I first downloaded DL the day it was released, and I got an iSight camera because of it. However, I quickly stopped using the iSight for adding books and music to my library because it is simply a lot easier to drag Amazon URLs and links onto the DL screen. Whenever I place an order with Amazon, I just open the order summary page, launch DL and drag everything over.

Has anyone seen Shelfari? It's a new social networking website for booklovers - significantly funded by Amazon. The look and feel are incredibly similar to Delicious Library.
  • Reply 66 of 89
    There were a couple of comments wondering if the Pedias or other cataloging software can use bar code scanners.

Bar code scanners are nothing more than specialized input devices like the keyboard. If you set your cursor on any input field in any database that will accept numbers, pressing the button and scanning the bar code will result in the numbers represented by the bar code being inserted in that field. That's it.

The next step, though, is how the application acts on those numbers. DL and many other cataloging application will query whatever remote database (such as Amazon) and will insert the returned data in the appropriate fields. All the Pedias work fine with scanned bar codes as does such applications as Booxter.
  • Reply 67 of 89
    I had to laugh at the post that questioned why anyone would want to stare at pictures of his collection of tools in DL.

As another poster replied, it's always a good idea to have some kind of inventory of your personal effects in case the house burns down.

I'm much too lazy to go around typing in data about the stuff we've accumulated over the years. I use a digital camera and store the images on one of those remotely-hosted storage sites.

I'm a 65+ old goat and I find that iTunes does the job perfectly. I tend to have a lot of classical and jazz tracks, which are much longer than the standard 3 minutes, so I'll note that my iTunes library is over 40 days' playing time. I don't see why I need to have a second database for my music.

I like Bookpedia for a variety of reasons, including the super-terrific support I got from Bruji when I was trying to set up an online store.

For DVDs I set up a simple Filemaker database that has just four fields: Movie title, library location, online info (a link to the iMDB if I want to get more info, and a picture field for the DVD cover.

OTOH I can see where DL would fill the needs of others. I tried it out a couple of years ago and found it to be quite a nice application, just not one that would work best for me.
  • Reply 68 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As its name suggests, DL2 exists to organize your stuff into libraries. It automatically discovers songs, videos, and audiobooks from your iTunes library (and keeps this information in sync with any changes made within iTunes), but you can also add physical media such as CDs in standard jewel cases or paper cartons, DVDs, Blu-Ray, HD DVD, UMD, 7" and 10" vinyl, XBox, XBox 360, Wii, and Playstation 3 video games and other software titles, or even your gadget hardware, tools, toys, and apparel.

While I recognize that 7" vinyl records (45s) were a popular form of the medium, 12" LP records were equally popular. Yet no mention of them as a category...
  • Reply 69 of 89
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Disappointed that DL2 (and similar software) doesn't have features to support DVD rentals, like priority queues.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

While I recognize that 7" vinyl records (45s) were a popular form of the medium, 12" LP records were equally popular. Yet no mention of them as a category...

12" LP records were already part of DL1. Just not 7" or 10".
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Only two more days left in March. I wonder if it will be released by then. Sure hope so. No sign of an official announcement from them, but that's nothing new.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pantherquest View Post

Only two more days left in March. I wonder if it will be released by then. Sure hope so. No sign of an official announcement from them, but that's nothing new.

I was just thinking that...
  • Reply 73 of 89
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, did they say *which* March??

*Think* guys, *think*!

• Reply 74 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Well, did they say *which* March??

*Think* guys, *think*!

Believe me, the thought occurred to me.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    Well it's official. April is here and no update. Dang it.
  • Reply 76 of 89
    artistryartistry Posts: 44member
    You'd have thought they'd warn us not to expect it.

Hope this doesn't go the same way as cha-ching 2...
  • Reply 77 of 89
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Do not worry, it will get released. This is the same guy that started The Omni Group and they put out some very good software.
  • Reply 78 of 89
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Do not worry, it will get released. This is the same guy that started The Omni Group and they put out some very good software.

I still don't buy into it. I was totally jazzed for Dl 1 when it was originally rleased, and bought it straight away. But I think I may have played around with it for a few days before just getting bored with it's lack of actually doing anything good.

I'll point out that I live in Australiaso the fact that we don't have our own Amazon limited the fun of the thing, none of the bar codes that were scanned ever worked. I really do think that DL 2 isn't going to be anywhere near as popular as the original. The negative word about the product is out now as well.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

I still don't buy into it. I was totally jazzed for Dl 1 when it was originally rleased, and bought it straight away. But I think I may have played around with it for a few days before just getting bored with it's lack of actually doing anything good.

I'll point out that I live in Australiaso the fact that we don't have our own Amazon limited the fun of the thing, none of the bar codes that were scanned ever worked. I really do think that DL 2 isn't going to be anywhere near as popular as the original. The negative word about the product is out now as well.

I have a library of over 1800 movies almost all entered using the bluetooth barcode scanner. It took me a couple of days to do, would've taken a couple of weeks manually.

I don't know how "fun" this program is but it very USEFUL to me.

I'm looking forward to the update not for the new things you can catalog, but hopefully a speed boost and some of the new sharing features.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    Apple Insider,

How about getting a follow up quote from Shipley about the delay.