can i use final cut studio?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i am purchasing a 20 inch new imac. it comes with aATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics processor card. on the final cut studio web site it says in the specs that the computer has to have a minimum requirement of an AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card and that Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors. all of the other specs work, but will i be able you use final cut studio?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Yes, you will be able to use the iMac. The three models that use integrated graphics are the Mac mini, MacBook, and MacBook Air. The three models that use dedicated graphics are the iMac, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro.

The iMac is due for a hardware refresh so if you might want to wait if you can. The main reason to wait is for the Penryn processor (i.e. SSE4), and based on the MacBook Pro update, you could also get a larger hard drive and double the VRAM for the same price.

For future reference go to http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ to get an idea of when a product is due for an update. Remember, this is only a guideline based on past updates. As others will probably tell you, buy now if you need it, but if you can wait until the iMac is updated, then wait.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Final Cut Studio works on integrated graphics cards too - it's only Motion that doesn't. I think it's wrong for them to lump them all together.

The iMac will work fine with Final Cut Studio, you just have to put up with the glossy screen.