Piper on iPhone shortage as update sign; Acrobat 9 for Mac soon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    March 10th. Google iphone $119 and you'll fins a couple of stories.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I can't stop hitting "refresh" on Apple's web page
  • Reply 23 of 55
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Don't hold your breath. My company just released what's considered one of the more innovative handheld devices in the military market, and its big claim to fame is being able to handle both secret and unclassified data on the same device, but it's otherwise like last year's Blackberry.

I'd love to try porting our command and control software to the iPhone, actually, but it's all Java. Since most military software I've seen is either Java or .NET, Apple won't be playing in that market anytime soon. So I wouldn't look for any cross-polination between DARPA and innovative handhelds this decade.

Like the blackberry? Is that the best they could come up with? Don't be surprised then if some LE or military units start having apps written for the iphone and ipod touch. After June's full release of the apple iphone sdk anything will be possible.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Apple has been very good at managing their supply line so I'm in the camp that something new is coming soon. It might be 3G, or it might be a 32 gig iPhone - or both in one.

Personally I would like to see the 32 gig version along with a second design at a lower price point. It seems that it has been too long since Jonathan Ive was let loose on an iPhone design and I really want to see what he has come up with.

Maybe Apple will go with a "quiet" introduction, again paying out no money for millions of dollars in promotion by the media and internet. If they send out an invitation for something new the media will be able to react within hours if needed.

Regardless, we're ready!
  • Reply 25 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

16 gig iphone is being sold for $649 to 679 at 5 different sites including cyberworld. Video and voice recording and playback . gprs and edge , bluetooth , im , 3rd generation iphone but no 3g yet

What are you talking about? There is no new phone. It's the same 16 GB phone, at the same $499.

If anyone's selling it for more in the US, it's not allowed, unless they're giving something else away with it.

Give us a link to a couple of sites.

Unless this is just your own version of an April Fool's joke.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

The shipment by itself would match Apple's stated goal of selling 10 million iPhones from its June 2007 launch to the end of 2008.

Sigh. NO, AppleInsider, just... no. It's NOT an 18-month period we're talking about, it's a 12-month one :

As of the announcement, the global rate of cellphone sales was around 1 billion. Apple clearly shows in the above graphic the following:

1% market share = 10M units

The above is ONLY TRUE for a 12-MONTH PERIOD OF TIME (back then), NOT an 18-month one. If it was for an 18-month period, 1% marketshare would = 15 million units. Duh, AI.

Now, we can argue when that 12-month period of time begins and ends, but it IS 12-months. So it CANNOT be "from June 2007 to the end of 2008". The end.

• Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Sigh. NO, AppleInsider, just... no. It's NOT an 18-month period we're talking about, it's a 12-month one :

As of the announcement, the global rate of cellphone sales was around 1 billion. Apple clearly shows in the above graphic the following:

The above is ONLY TRUE for a 12-MONTH PERIOD OF TIME (back then), NOT an 18-month one. If it was for an 18-month period, 1% marketshare would = 15 million units. Duh, AI.

Now, we can argue when that 12-month period of time begins and ends, but it IS 12-months. So it CANNOT be "from June 2007 to the end of 2008". The end.

Possibly we should all agree to put this argument on hiatus. The only way it will be resolved is when Jobs himself takes the stage, and states whether or not Apple met its goals.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Possibly we should all agree to put this argument on hiatus. The only way it will be resolved is when Jobs himself takes the stage, and states whether or not Apple met its goals.

I think the statement I just made is pretty much beyond argument... as it's just simple (and really obvious) math.

But I agree, the larger argument as to WHEN the 12-month period begins and ends probably isn't going to end anytime soon, and is probably pretty pointless. I won't be going there, that's for sure.

• Reply 29 of 55
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Analyst: low iPhone supply likely sign of refresh

With stock of Apple's touchscreen cellphone running almost completely dry across the US, senior Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said on Tuesday that the shortage pointed to an upgrade.

If there is an impending refresh, it's gonna be the same design... Apple just released 3 new iPhone ads this week.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

If there is an impending refresh, it's gonna be the same design... Apple just released 3 new iPhone ads this week.

Since there was no release yesterday for the anniversary of Apple, perhaps it will be another Friday @ 5pm release like last year's iPhone.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

But the marget grew to 1.15 billion in 2007, so they will have to sell a lot more than 10M to make 1% of the 2008 market
  • Reply 32 of 55
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    this "discussion" of units when how when how when how, is old, lets focus on getting to the 45million mark
  • Reply 33 of 55
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    It seems like many mentions of the updated iPhone suggest an increase in price. So perhaps the purchasing strategy for those who want an iPhone should be to buy one at your store (if they have stock), or just order it online. Don't open it. Then wait 13 days to be within the return policy timeframe, return it and then go home and reorder the phone and repeat that cycle. Then, whenever they release it you'll end up getting an updated version that you can upgrade probably with no additional cost. Plus, you have the added benefit of being able to work yourself into ever increasing amounts of impatient frustration.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Wow. The Apple online store has posted a new rate plan for the iPhone "unlimited" minutes for $149.00.

Cool.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

But even that won't necessarily settle the argument, because if they meet the goal of 10 million from Jan 1 2008 to Dec 31 2008, they will have by default met the target of 10 million from launch to end of 2008.

Even then if they fail to ship 10 million in calendar 2008 but do manage 10 million from launch, and then claim they met their original target, the "10 million claim means 10 million in the 2008 calendar year" adherents will simply argue that Apple made a deliberately vague original target that would enable them to backtrack in this eventuality.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth is that things Apple said several weeks ago clarified their original statement and they are expecting to sell 10 million iPhone units in the 2008 calendar year (and by extension, well over 10 million when counted from launch date to end of 2008).
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

But even that won't necessarily settle the argument, because if they meet the goal of 10 million from Jan 1 2008 to Dec 31 2008, they will have by default met the target of 10 million from launch to end of 2008.

Even then if they fail to ship 10 million in calendar 2008 but do manage 10 million from launch, and then claim they met their original target, the "10 million claim means 10 million in the 2008 calendar year" adherents will simply argue that Apple made a deliberately vague original target that would enable them to backtrack in this eventuality.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth is that things Apple said several weeks ago clarified their original statement and they are expecting to sell 10 million iPhone units in the 2008 calendar year (and by extension, well over 10 million when counted from launch date to end of 2008).

At this point, I consider the whole thing to be irrelevant. It's just not worth spending our time over. Whatever happens, happens. We have no control over it anyway.

If Apple and the investor community are happy, fine. If not, there's nothing we can do about it. All it's done here is to frazzle nerves, and start arguments over semantics.

Whatever Jobs says is fine with me. It's all a matter of perception.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

At this point, I consider the whole thing to be irrelevant. It's just not worth spending our time over. Whatever happens, happens. We have no control over it anyway.

Oh, I agree absolutely. I haven't previously partaken in this "debate", just watched on from the sidelines quietly amused All I've done now is stated my interpretation of what Apple have said, I don't intend to defend that interpretation. If others interpret differently what Apple have said, so be it.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    palterpalter Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kloppenator View Post

today i was in Apple Store Santa Rosa Plaza in California, and overheard two conversations.

The first involved a couple of employees and one customer and they were telling him they were out of iPhones, and that they were expecting new ones in a few days possibly.

The second, and more exciting, involved two employees, one a manager, and one a consierge. The manager was holding one of the price cards that they have out one display next to the computers and iPods, etc in the plastic holders, and they were talking about how 700 minutes would be "more than enough." Well, there is no iPhone plan currently with 700 minutes!! And i heard at the beginining of the conversation the manager say that this was "the new pricing for the iPhone," so i looked over. Unfortunatly, she saw me and so i had to be super sneaky, but i didnt get as much info as i would like...

Oh well. I guess well see:

Sorry to disappoint...

But the basic iPhone family plan includes 700 minutes.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Adobe is launching a new version of Acrobat! Hooray!

Can it edit PDFs yet?

Jimzip
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Looks like the stars might be aligning for a June release:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/01/i...tom-processor/

Intel reveals June launch date for first Atom processor

Some of us have thought that the Atom might be in the new iPhone, and others have thought there is no chance, but with a June release, why not?

Also post today:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/02/v...h-intels-atom/

Video: Lenovo's Ideapad U8 MID teases with Intel's Atom

If it's already being put in other devices, why wouldn't it be worked into the new iPhone plans?

It's possible to say the least.