Apple rapidly seeding Mac OS X 10.5.3 test builds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    bjkbjk Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

Try doing a hard reset of the airport base station so far this has fixed the drop out issues for me.

I also suggest to use the password as wpa2 personal as it is much stronger form of password.

Yeah, tried a hard reset. It helps with the 'random' drops, but what drops the connection the most is closing the screen on my laptop. The main problem isn't the dropping, but that airport refuses to remember my preferred networks. It worked fine in Tiger, and I'm confident the settings are right, so I don't know what else to blame it on other than the OS.

Checked out wpa2 on wikipedia, thanks for the tip. I don't think I was in any real danger, but more security can't hurt.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Does closing the laptop cause it to logout?

If so check the network prefs => advanced => Disconnect from woreless networks when logging out.

Make sure that is not ticked.

It should help with keeping it connected.

The only other thing is when the laptop sleeps the connection drops out this happened on my imac Intel also until I changed the Energy Saver settings to

Put the computer to sleep when inactive for: This will be behind the dropouts for sure as when the laptop/desktop sleeps the connection disconnects itself but should auto reconnection when waking from sleep but doesn't always do it.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

Does closing the laptop cause it to logout?

If so check the network prefs => advanced => Disconnect from wireless networks when logging out.

Make sure that is not ticked.

I double checked, and everything was right. Tried adding a screenshot, but realized I can't make attachments. Additionally, I have my computer set to never sleep when it is plugged in. (I'm not trying to waste electricity, it's so I can do the folding@home thing.) Another oddity I should mention is that I have about 12 preferred networks, but my home network is the only one that has this problem consistently. Then again, it's also the network I use 95% of the time.

I appreciate your help, I really do, but I would feel bad hijacking the forum to sort through a problem which I strongly suspect has some deep roots. If you are familiar with this problem though, I would gladly accept any advice. It can be quite frustrating at times. I was under the vague impression that lots of people were having issues with leopard's airport utility, so I haven't investigated too deeply for a solution.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    I am using airport on 2 macs both desktop one an Intel and the other PPC both running 10.5.2 fully updated amd I am using an airport extreme.

It seems to me most of the problems are generally laptop sided as I have been able to fix the issues on the desktop macs.

It seems in some cases when the lid of the laptop is closed it breaks the connection prettu much regardless of settings. The drop outs also seem to affect laptops a bit more and there is no simple or temprorary fix that really works.

I am starting to wonder if it maybe hardware related with laptops in some way.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Squid View Post

X needs to be fixed too. X applications have been quite flaky under Leopard.

Did you try XQuartz ?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

I am starting to wonder if it maybe hardware related with laptops in some way.

Egads, let's hope not! It's possible that my laptop always has disconnected this way, but with tiger I never knew it. If it did, reconnecting wasn't a problem.

From what I gather, most of the problems have been with the macbook.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

What is there to fix? 10.5.2 so far has been flawless for me.

I've had a lot of problems with 10.5.2 that I never had before (ie new to 10.5.2), and several that have been there since 10.5.0 that still are not fixed.

Old ones - Spaces has many problems still (especially with Office 2008 but that may be more a problem with Microsoft I realise). Still Spaces needs work. My computer locks up a lot after being put to sleep. I'd say at least 10% of the time I need to force it down to restart it and another 10% of the time it takes me two or three attempts to wake it up (close the lid, open the lid, close the lid.....).

New problems. The main one is that ever since 10.5.2, once and a while Finder simply stops working. The icons on my desktop cannot be clicked on. I have to re-launch Finder to get it to respond. This happens probably once a day to me, and it is often but not always after the machine has been asleep.

There's more, but these are the key ones that are driving me batty.....
  • Reply 28 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoc View Post

Did you try XQuartz ?

I don't know about him, but I have tried it and it still needs much work.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Squid View Post

X needs to be fixed too. X applications have been quite flaky under Leopard.

Spaces needs to be fixed so that windows stay in the space that they are opened in.

Safari is in need of decent cookie control.

I agree for X11 and Spaces. Spaces behaves really strange sometimes and it really looks like something half-baked.

To add a serious flaw: DVD playback often results in kernel panics in more recent Macbooks. This must be a graphics driver issue, but it is in any case unacceptable.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    No love for Active Directory or sluggish SMB mappings?
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Oh, one more affecting at least the Macbooks: when waking up the screen by hitting a key (only screen at sleep, not the computer) the mouse cursor will jump to the upper left corner. So, if you have assigned some Exposé function to this one, waking up the screen will activate it. Really annoying.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I agree for X11 and Spaces. Spaces behaves really strange sometimes and it really looks like something half-baked.

To add a serious flaw: DVD playback often results in kernel panics in more recent Macbooks. This must be a graphics driver issue, but it is in any case unacceptable.

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz

Make sure you have the latest X from there and file bugs as you find them