BofA sees 3G iPhone build in May, predictions "too conservative"

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:

Using a desktop browser on a mobile device that renders full HTML the same as the desktop version. Something that no other mobile browser yet does. Its very likely by the time Apple releases iPhone 2.0 mobile Safari will fully support HTML 5. Something that no other mobile web browser is likely to do.

I don't get why people keep saying this. Apple is far from the first to support desktop websites on a mobile device, and far from being the only one to do so. Nokia's web browser has been able to render desktop websites for nearly 2 years now. I've used the browser everyday for over a year now, and I have no issue with browsing websites - they all show exactly as they would do on my PC.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I don't get why people keep saying this. Apple is far from the first to support desktop websites on a mobile device, and far from being the only one to do so. Nokia's web browser has been able to render desktop websites for nearly 2 years now. I've used the browser everyday for over a year now, and I have no issue with browsing websites - they all show exactly as they would do on my PC.

You are right S60 is the first to use a desktop engine in a mobile device. But S60 does not have its lineage directly from a desktop browser. Safari has had a much more robust development.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You are not looking the at the whole approach Apple is bringing to mobile web development. The unlimited data package is apart of it but not the entire story. Mobile Safari marketshare would not be so high if it were only because of unlimited data.

Using a desktop browser on a mobile device that renders full HTML the same as the desktop version. Something that no other mobile browser yet does. Its very likely by the time Apple releases iPhone 2.0 mobile Safari will fully support HTML 5. Something that no other mobile web browser is likely to do.

Apple provided an environment to develop web based services tailored for the mobile device. Something that no other mobile software/hardware manufacturer has ever provided. With these tools there are now over 1,300 web based services built for the iPhone. Along with icons for bookmarking any website on the mobile device home screen. At the introduction of the SDK Apple said they will offer more features for web based services. Because Apple pushes open web standards any mobile device that can render full HTML can take advantage of these services.

All of this is good as it pushes everyone: Nokia, Mircosoft, web software developers to all improve the mobile web experience.

Other AT&T subscribers who are paying the $20 data plan on other cell phones with "inferior" web browsers have the "option" to hack around the proxy settings to get tethering.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Other AT&T subscribers who are paying the $20 data plan on other cell phones with "inferior" web browsers have the "option" to hack around the proxy settings to get tethering.

Other AT&T susnscribers are paying $40 for unlimted data. Only the iPhone gets $20 unlimited data.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Other AT&T susnscribers are paying $40 for unlimted data. Only the iPhone gets $20 unlimited data.

I am not talking about smartphone plans. I am talking about just your normal wap plans that people are hacking to get tethering.

If people use a "inferior" phone with "inferior" web-browsers with a $20 wap plan --- and tethers with a laptop --- then of course it wouldn't show up in the statistics.