Piper on iPhone shortage as update sign; Acrobat 9 for Mac soon

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Okay, okay. So who's that 1% who does it just as good as or better than Apple? Can I buy stock in that one?

Just checked the figures... it's actually 99.5%
  • Reply 42 of 55
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'm getting scared of a chicken-or-the-egg problem.

As AppleInsider has gotten better and earned trust, it's become a useful source for analysts. And now AppleInside quotes these analysts, who are often confirming AppleInsider's insights a day or so after AppleInsider posts them.... I have to wonder where original research comes from.

I hope that sometime soon AppleInsider separates "online reports or analysis" from its "trusted sources" (wherever they come from)... if they haven't already done this.

.... Perhaps we need headlines like "Piper agrees with AI's reasoning".

If you know any analysts that base their recommendations on AppleInsider, i'd suggest not trusting them with their money. AI is extremely slanted and doesnt' exactly source very well. Anyone using AI in their investing decisions is an idiot.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    No 3G model yet... there's been no FCC approval for one yet. Perhaps a moderate refresh, but that's it. \

Hopefully a 3G model by June. *crosses fingers*

• Reply 44 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

No 3G model yet... there's been no FCC approval for one yet. Perhaps a moderate refresh, but that's it. \

Hopefully a 3G model by June. *crosses fingers*

Perhaps they will release the 3G version in other countries the day they submit to the FCC. Certainly not an ideal situation, but with the open FCC submission in place it is the best option I see for Apple while they have only type of phone to sell.

The sales in the US will drop off significantly during that time, but an immediate price drop in the EDGE iPhone and the impeding reviews of the 3G model should spark significant free publicity and raise the stock price. Plus, we'll see the opposite of what we saw last year, with unlocked iPhones coming into the US in droves instead of going out.

If you can think of a better option for Apple please post it. I'm out of ideas.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajay View Post

so if this is the sprint-version of the "iPhone-killer", does it mean that the 3G iPhone (whenever it arrives) will not be available with sprint?

It wouldn't work with Sprint's network unless they made it CDMA compatible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

Apple is advertising 16 gig iphone and 32 gig itouch,... right on time

Right on time? I don't know what you meant to say there. They've been available for nearly two months now.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    See this very perceptive (and well-written) post on the iPhone shortage issue, and how/why analysts are a bit out to lunch (I am referring to Comment #8, by "Tantrum"):

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ref=technology
  • Reply 47 of 55
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps they will release the 3G version in other countries the day they submit to the FCC. Certainly not an ideal situation, but with the open FCC submission in place it is the best option I see for Apple while they have only type of phone to sell.

The sales in the US will drop off significantly during that time, but an immediate price drop in the EDGE iPhone and the impeding reviews of the 3G model should spark significant free publicity and raise the stock price. Plus, we'll see the opposite of what we saw last year, with unlocked iPhones coming into the US in droves instead of going out.

If you can think of a better option for Apple please post it. I'm out of ideas.

Sounds like the way to go... unless other countries have an approval process similar to the FCC one that's in place in the US. I honestly don't know if they do or not. Perhaps our Euro and Asian friends can help us out here.

• Reply 48 of 55
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

See this very perceptive (and well-written) post on the iPhone shortage issue, and how/why analysts are a bit out to lunch (I am referring to Comment #8, by "Tantrum"):

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ref=technology

No kidding! That is one hell of a post!
  • Reply 49 of 55
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    RIM announced today that "quarterly profit and sales more than doubled year-ago figures". Here is your answer for iPhone shortage, Apple might have underestimated demand for this quarter. Furthermore, the announcement of the iPhone's SDK and enterprise features helped drive sales up. However, I hope we see an updated iPhone very soon.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Adobe is launching a new version of Acrobat! Hooray!

Can it edit PDFs yet?

Jimzip

Adobe Acrobat 9? Who cares? Adobe thinks Mac users are second class citizens and overcharges them. Why pay $200 more to get forms capability?

All of Adobe's products are released way after the windows versions--it's an insult.

At this point, I'm looking for alternatives to ALL of Adobe's products. This is a real opportunity for some software company. I use GraphicConverter which is affordable, it works well and is compatible with Photoshop files. If the GraphicConverter folks come up with a Pro edition that basically matches Photoshop, I'll buy it.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macs_since_1984 View Post

Adobe Acrobat 9? Who cares? Adobe thinks Mac users are second class citizens and overcharges them. Why pay $200 more to get forms capability?

Acrobat Pro is the same price for Windows and Mac.

Quote:

All of Adobe's products are released way after the windows versions--it's an insult.

This isn't true with most of the apps in the Creative Suite. They even released the Lightroom beta to Mac first.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

However, a planned move to allow the creation of fillable PDF forms in the Standard edition will be limited to the Windows release; for Mac users, the option will be available only for the Professional edition, which should cost $200 more. Adobe will offer a free upgrade to anyone who buys a paid version of Acrobat 8 after version 9 is announced.

There is no Acrobat Standard for OS X. Upsell for Adobe. Apparently Mac users have no need for PDFs. And Preview is still not a substitute.

Well maybe those blockheads at Adobe will finally make PDF layers read in other Adobe apps.

Lightroom beta first for version 1.0. Don't you think the existence of Aperture had something to do with that?
  • Reply 53 of 55
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    I was at the Apple Store in Atlantic City about three weeks ago on a Friday night and the people in front of me asked for an iPhone, apparently they were out of all models, they had sold the 80 phones they had that day and expected some the next day. It just struck me as a lot of phones to sell in one day from a small store. Demand seems to be pretty good for the phones.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member

Full circle.

That info was probably taken from first time poster Tantrum on these very own AI forums a few days ago.